• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kid gear

Sparky

My grandson is 2 years old and of course we want to get him on skies this year. We were planning to do it last season, but it just didn’t work out. We just want to give show him how much fun it is His mother and father are both instructors, mom has working in a children’s program for 13+ years. My question is what do we do for equipment? Do we just get the little plastic skies that strap to boots, or is there actually stuff out there for 2 years olds.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Those plastic strap on skis technically aren't supposed to be allowed at ski areas--at least, they're not at Sundown. There actually is equipment available for kids his age but it's not always easy to find at a good price. Check online forums' sale sections (I think TGR even has a thread for kids' equipment) and local swaps first for a deal.

wa-loaf

Also hit the ski swaps in the fall, but be there first. The kid stuff goes quick!

drjeff

Check out a seasonal lease from a ski shop. *most* decent shops will have boot/ski sizes to fit 2/3 year olds, you'll probably end up paying a few bucks extra than if you lucked out and found some kids gear at a ski swap. but 1) at the end of the year you won't be stuck with a pair of mini skis/boots in the basement and 2) if the child hits a big growth spurt and/or progresses enough to warrant longer skis, it's usually a simple exchange of gear from the shop you leased from.

I know with my kids, I've leased their gear from one of the shops up at Mount Snow (Equipe Sports) where my place is, and the full seasonal lease for skis/boots/poles(if needed) is basically $100. The last couple of years, as my oldest improved beyond the ability of what tends to just be entry level skis for the under 6 or 7 year old typical sizes, I bought skis for her, but leased her boots (nice 3 and 4 buckle overlap boots), her boot lease for the season was about $40.

This way I've been able to keep the kids in appropriate size and ability gear, with a good assortment to choose from, and not end up with a basement full of 80, 90, and 100 cm skis :)

wa-loaf

Check out a seasonal lease from a ski shop. *most* decent shops will have boot/ski sizes to fit 2/3 year olds, you'll probably end up paying a few bucks extra than if you lucked out and found some kids gear at a ski swap. but 1) at the end of the year you won't be stuck with a pair of mini skis/boots in the basement and 2) if the child hits a big growth spurt and/or progresses enough to warrant longer skis, it's usually a simple exchange of gear from the shop you leased from.

I know with my kids, I've leased their gear from one of the shops up at Mount Snow (Equipe Sports) where my place is, and the full seasonal lease for skis/boots/poles(if needed) is basically $100. The last couple of years, as my oldest improved beyond the ability of what tends to just be entry level skis for the under 6 or 7 year old typical sizes, I bought skis for her, but leased her boots (nice 3 and 4 buckle overlap boots), her boot lease for the season was about $40.

This way I've been able to keep the kids in appropriate size and ability gear, with a good assortment to choose from, and not end up with a basement full of 80, 90, and 100 cm skis :)

I don't disagree with leasing gear, but if you are stuck with a bunch of kids gear in your basement you are doing it wrong. I've bought most of my kid gear off the net new and sold it used at the swap for pretty close to what I paid for it. There's a big demand for good kids gear at the swaps.

tcharron

My grandson is 2 years old and of course we want to get him on skies this year. We were planning to do it last season, but it just didn’t work out. We just want to give show him how much fun it is His mother and father are both instructors, mom has working in a children’s program for 13+ years. My question is what do we do for equipment? Do we just get the little plastic skies that strap to boots, or is there actually stuff out there for 2 years olds.

How tall is he?

HD333

Sparky-

I have these if you are intersted, the boots may be big for a 2 year old.

Skis: Head XRC 50 87 cm Look Team 4 Bindings

Head Carve X1 Boots size 17.5 ( size 10)