• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Acadia ski rack

gmcunni

Any Acadia (or traverse, outlook, enclave) owners have a ski rack on the GM cross bars? i've read the GMC crossbars are wide oval and i'm concerned i'll have trouble finding a rack to fit them.

i'm just looking for an inexpensive option when traveling with lots of people in the car. normally skis would go in side in a bag but i can see 1 or 2 trips a year where i'd need them on the outside.

Puck it

Any Acadia (or traverse, outlook, enclave) owners have a ski rack on the GM cross bars? i've read the GMC crossbars are wide oval and i'm concerned i'll have trouble finding a rack to fit them.

i'm just looking for an inexpensive option when traveling with lots of people in the car. normally skis would go in side in a bag but i can see 1 or 2 trips a year where i'd need them on the outside.

I have the Enclave and have a Barrecrafter box. It fits fine on the racks.

powbmps

They aren't much of an oval. Maybe a very flat oval. I use both a Thule roof box and a Toyota ski rack (both were used on my old Sienna).

Let me go take a picture.....

oh, that's right, it's still sitting up in Rutland.

gmcunni

thanks for info, will go pick up the GMC bars (found for $125) and wait for a deal on a rack. hopefully something pops on tramdock or SAC.

new ride -

powbmps

Nice rims. Here's a couple pictures for reference. One is the old dusty ski rack. The other is the roof box. Both styles work.

Last edited:

drjeff

My Thule box fits fine on my Acadia's cross bars without any special Thule adaptor kits. Not sure about a true ski rack though. The only thing with the stock GM cross bars for the Acadia is they sit quite low to the roof which when I'm putting my Thule box on isn't an issue for 3 of the 4 connector bars. That fourth one though, once the box is secured in the 3 other corners is a bit of a tight fit

Puck it

My Thule box fits fine on my Acadia's cross bars without any special Thule adaptor kits. Not sure about a true ski rack though. The only thing with the stock GM cross bars for the Acadia is they sit quite low to the roof which when I'm putting my Thule box on isn't an issue for 3 of the 4 connector bars. That fourth one though, once the box is secured in the 3 other corners is a bit of a tight fit

On my Barrecraft box, I put the back two on first and only loosely. Then the other two. Then tighten.

gmcunni

Nice rims.

the rims are my least favorite thing about the car. a little too "bling bling" for my taste. BUT they are 20 inch so i'm hoping/expecting decent performance in unfavorable conditions. i'll be testing them out on the beach next week!

thanks for the pix of the rack.

drjeff

On my Barrecraft box, I put the back two on first and only loosely. Then the other two. Then tighten.

What me and my big hands have leanred to do to overcome things is save one of the back ones for last. I'll tighten the other 3 down and then i'll still have enough of an ability to "flex" the box up to fit the connector rod

wa-loaf

The clamps on my Yakima box will fit pretty much anything and are super easy to use.

bigbog

........ i've read the GMC crossbars are wide oval and i'm concerned i'll have trouble finding a rack to fit them.......

That's what Xterras come with, Thule as well has the footings that fastens to bar(s), which hold the main bars....no effort to fit, as Yakima.
Best of luck on/getting-off the beach...

Last edited: