• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Car Possibilities

bigbog

Most companies, other than for the top-line models, try to save $$$ by integrating the cheapest stock components, like inexpensive PC manufacturers do. Some parts are not scrutinized...so some are often pretty good components..and some aren't so good.
$.01

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Because if we all continue buying pieces of crap without regard for quality or value, surely that will provide the necessary motivation for manufacturers to make higher quality cars.
Sounds like a line from a Mel Brooks movie.

Buy american

I bought a Honda..

So I should buy American, but you bought a Honda? :blink:

If that was a Subaru your brakes would've been covered under warranty, AND your tires would've been pro-rated......put that in your pipe and smoke it. :beer:
I have better stuff for my pipe. :razz:

Was hoping, for your sake, that you did.....

I like the direction this thread is heading :lol:

Last edited:

tjf67

Sounds like a line from a Mel Brooks movie.

So I should but American, but you bought a Honda? :blink:

I like the direction this thread is heading :lol:

Well my wife did but I make the payments. You know how that goes.

hammer

If that was a Subaru your brakes would've been covered under warranty, AND your tires would've been pro-rated......put that in your pipe and smoke it. :beer:
Thought most warranties would not cover wear items like brakes...does Subaru have a noted exception or is this one of those "goodwill" warranties?

hammer

I have an "American" car now and I think it's crap. Out of the 15 or so Ford Escapes my company bought in 2008, at least 8 of them have needed over $1K in service after 60K miles. Why would I consider buying another?? :dunce:
If you are concerned about reliability then why Volvo? Don't know about the XC60s because they are still new, but Volvos don't have a reputation of being the most reliable cars...not the worst by any means but still not quite on par with Japanese brands.

campgottagopee

Thought most warranties would not cover wear items like brakes...does Subaru have a noted exception or is this one of those "goodwill" warranties?

100% warranty---most will cover wearables for 12mo/12k (they call it an "adjustment" period)---subie covers ALL wearables for 36mo/36k---wipers, bulbs, brake pads, rotors, etc.....

hammer

100% warranty---most will cover wearables for 12mo/12k (they call it an "adjustment" period)---subie covers ALL wearables for 36mo/36k---wipers, bulbs, brake pads, rotors, etc.....
OK, good to know. Have 5 yr/60k wearable on my Volvo although I have to figure out how to know if my wipers are worn so I can get a new pair. Also hoping that I will go through one set of brakes in that time/mileage period and not at 70K.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
If you are concerned about reliability then why Volvo? Don't know about the XC60s because they are still new, but Volvos don't have a reputation of being the most reliable cars...not the worst by any means but still not quite on par with Japanese brands.
Reliability of the hybrid system is my major concern and Ford's unwillingness to cover a hybrid unique component under the hybrid warrenty. Volvo's warranty is 60K and covers wear & tear on brakes and rotors, not tires, but yes on wiper blades.

hammer

Reliability of the hybrid system is my major concern and Ford's unwillingness to cover a hybrid unique component under the hybrid warrenty. Volvo's warranty is 60K and covers wear & tear on brakes and rotors, not tires, but yes on wiper blades.
Hear you on the warranty...I have a 2009 S40 with the same plan and the only reason why I've spent $$ on maintenance so far is that I ask for stuff above and beyond base maintenance (tire balance at 15K, full synthetic oil). One warranty repair so far and the only complaint is that the car was in the shop for 4 days.

Didn't know how long you were planning on keeping the car. I plan on having mine for some time after the warranty expires and I'm hoping that I won't have expensive repair bills down the road...but for now it's a nice ride.

mlctvt

Thats only part of the story. WHere are the home offices and how many people do they employ.

Yews, I'd like to see the figures too. The problem is most reports I've seen the US companies combine all of North America in their numbers.
You can find US Federal reports on Honda and Toyota employment but it's more difficult to get the same data for Ford or GM for the US only.

wa-loaf

Thats only part of the story. WHere are the home offices and how many people do they employ.

If you are going to go that route you need to count all the employees of the American parts suppliers. And ask why GM/Ford/Chrysler don't support local companies themselves?

tjf67

If you are going to go that route you need to count all the employees of the American parts suppliers. And ask why GM/Ford/Chrysler don't support local companies themselves?

I agree we should be supporting them if they can put out a quality product. It makes no sense to me why we ship all our money to other countries to produce things that we can do here ourselves. If quality were not an issue I would spend more money to buy things made in America.

jaywbigred

Root, my coworker had a similar issue with Smythe. I think small dealers in "upscale" towns have less incentive to budge on prices/trade-ins because they aren't volume driven business models. My family has had the same experience with the Welsh dealership in Far Hills, and, to a lesser extent both Audi of Bernardsville and Bernardsville VW. I had a much easier time negotiating with bigger dealerships during my last 2 rounds of (albeit used) car buying-- I bought a ski car in late May, and a new every-day-car last night!

hammer

So...any pictures of the new ride?

Also, does the car have leather or the T-Tec? Been pretty happy with the leather on my S40 so far, although it feels different than the leather on the S80 loaner car I drove about a month ago.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Root, my coworker had a similar issue with Smythe. I think small dealers in "upscale" towns have less incentive to budge on prices/trade-ins because they aren't volume driven business models. My family has had the same experience with the Welsh dealership in Far Hills, and, to a lesser extent both Audi of Bernardsville and Bernardsville VW. I had a much easier time negotiating with bigger dealerships during my last 2 rounds of (albeit used) car buying-- I bought a ski car in late May, and a new every-day-car last night!
Thanks for the info. What did you get?
So...any pictures of the new ride?

Also, does the car have leather or the T-Tec? Been pretty happy with the leather on my S40 so far, although it feels different than the leather on the S80 loaner car I drove about a month ago.

I took a few pics when I picked it up on Tuesday, but I haven't uploaded them yet. I'll do that tonight if I get home at a decent hour. I have the leather and it feels different then the '08 XC90 we bought in January. Neither is bad, they are just different.

I love driving this car. It's nice to have something with a little bit of power again. We're thinking about heading up to the Catskills for the weekend, just to get away for a bit, maybe hit up Woodstock. I volunteered to drive :D