• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

West Thompson lake 7-20

drjeff

Got out for what turned into a GREAT RAW yesterday! I had a hunch that somethign good was going to happen when my schedule in the office just clicked and had me out the door about 40 minutes earlier than usual! Got to the parking lot by the dam, and as I was unloading, a guy road up on his bike, after riding back across the dam, and we talked for a minute. We talked for a minute, and lamented a bit about how the Red bridge has been closed all season. He told me that on his ride today that him and his biked hoped the fence across the bridge and that the bridge itself seemed very solid (I'd estimate that he had me weight wise by 30lbs :) ) so my brain started plotting out some extra mileage that involved the blue trail loop.

I set off on my usual Orange trail all the way up past the cornfields to Red Bridge Road and made it up to the asphalt in what for me was a respectable 46 minutes. Then a quick loop on the asphalt of Red Bridge and Cheney roads to get a quick mile or so of high cadence pedalling in before hoping back onto the Orange to head back down. When I got back to the bridge, a quick hoping of the fence had me on the yellow trail on the East side off the lake :) Nice to be riding back on that side for sure. I took the yellow, down to the Blue and then climbed upto and around the campground area before getting to enjoy the really fun descent back down the Blue to the yellow. I then road via the yellow back to the bridge, hoped the fence again, and then continued on down the yellow to the fields/shelter area. Up past the shelters, to rejoin the Orange and then back down to the parking lot via the orange.

All in all the Garmin had me at 12.6 miles in 2 hours and 5 minutes with just over 3550 feet of climbing on a great weather night to a RAW :)

drjeff

That's a lot of climbing on a mt bike! Nice job

I've felt a bit inspired to climb lately I think because of me watching a bunch of the coverage of The Tour De France and seeing all those massive climbs the riders are faced with on a day to day basis :)