• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My New (to me) Ski Car

jaywbigred

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE with 58,000 miles. It is in sparkling shape and had a ridiculously meticulous Carfax maintenance record, and I got it for $676 less than the Edmund's True Market Value. Also got better than Blue Book Trade-In Value (by $200) on trading in the fiancée's Jeep Cherokee.

Bought it a couple months ago and have since upgraded the stereo system to a Clarion NX500 double-din unit with 7 inch touchscreen with Nav, Bluetooth, USB and AUX inputs. Also came with a free back-up camera from Crutchfield.com ("$200 value") that we are not sure we are going to install yet, as well as 50% off steering wheel controls modification kit (which allow you to use the factory steering wheel controls with the aftermarket head unit, but which are also not yet installed). Very happy with the radio.

We had some issues with the car right after we signed on the dotted line (only then did the dealer reveal there was but a single key/remote entry fob), 30 seconds after we drove off the lot (no radio reception at all, just static, every station), and a couple weeks later (battery died). After some haranguing (friend of a friend of a friend knows the COO's family of this dealership group), the dealership eventually made it right: they were able to get the other set of keys from the guy who traded it in (magically, it seemed), they gave me $200 cash towards a new radio (my choice, other choice was having them fix the radio that was in there, but this would have involved pulling it out and sending it to Nissan for repair which could take over a month, they warned), and replacing the battery for free.

I did by the car "As Is," and was pleased when the dealership eventually made things right. It's one thing for something to go wrong 5 or 6 months after you buy a used car, it's another thing for stuff to start going wrong 5 or 6 minutes after you buy it.

In the time since, it has driven great, and we really enjoyed being in a more solid, easy driving, better handling vehicle on our one trip to VT with it.

This is a bit of a reprisal for me, as I leased this same exact car (in silver) back when it came out from 2001-2004 and LOVED it. Slightly different color this time, and, so far, less stickers (see last pic), plus I get a sunroof, but otherwise exactly the same.

Pics:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

If you can live with HARSH mileage...HARSH servicing , and LITTLE capacity in the back?...then it'll be "OK"....owned one once...NEVER again....and the 'net is ABLAZE with people bemoaning the same things......there's a LOT of 4WD stock that'll do head and shoulders better than a Nissan....

jaywbigred

If you can live with HARSH mileage...HARSH servicing , and LITTLE capacity in the back?...then it'll be "OK"....owned one once...NEVER again....and the 'net is ABLAZE with people bemoaning the same things......there's a LOT of 4WD stock that'll do head and shoulders better than a Nissan....

Was that english?

This is my second one, and this is an amazing car (or, really, an amazing engine). The Nissan VQ engine made Wards Top Ten engine list something like 14 or more years in a row, last time I checked. The one in my current (until Monday) Infiniti G35x is based on the same one in my 2001 Pathfinder. It is an amazing engine for both performance and longevity.

The back seat is comfortable, for a non luxury model (so, so, SO much better than the backseat of the car we traded in -- a 2001 Jeep Cherokee), and there is plenty of trunk space (it's an SUV). I used my old Pathfinder to go back and forth from NJ to Ithaca NY moving in and out of college for multiple years, and then back and forth to Ohio for grad school, doing the same thing. There was always plenty of space for everything, and it was great on those long trips.

I also used my old one to haul a 17 foot fiberglass fishing boat to and from NJ to Lake Sebago area of Maine for 4 summers, and was constantly in the passing lane the whole way (as is my MO), at no want for power.

I also have no idea what you mean by the adjectives "HARSH" above; they don't really make sense, in context.

But thanks for crapping on my recent purchase, very gentlemanly of you.

wow....guess he's a little SENSITIVE

Was that english?

This is my second one, and this is an amazing car (or, really, an amazing engine). The Nissan VQ engine made Wards Top Ten engine list something like 14 or more years in a row, last time I checked. The one in my current (until Monday) Infiniti G35x is based on the same one in my 2001 Pathfinder. It is an amazing engine for both performance and longevity.

The back seat is comfortable, for a non luxury model (so, so, SO much better than the backseat of the car we traded in -- a 2001 Jeep Cherokee), and there is plenty of trunk space (it's an SUV). I used my old Pathfinder to go back and forth from NJ to Ithaca NY moving in and out of college for multiple years, and then back and forth to Ohio for grad school, doing the same thing. There was always plenty of space for everything, and it was great on those long trips.

I also used my old one to haul a 17 foot fiberglass fishing boat to and from NJ to Lake Sebago area of Maine for 4 summers, and was constantly in the passing lane the whole way (as is my MO), at no want for power.

I also have no idea what you mean by the adjectives "HARSH" above; they don't really make sense, in context.

But thanks for crapping on my recent purchase, very gentlemanly of you.

may it give you good service and endless joy....certainly dont wanna rain or your parade...(insert obvious note of sarcasm here..)

jaywbigred

....but going from a LOVELY G35X...to a 10 year old Pathfinder?....something to be said for fiscal belt-tightening , I guess.....

Pathfinder replaces Jeep Cherokee as ski car/my fiancée's car (she commutes via foot and train during the week, so only on weekends does she need it, and then only sometimes are we not together...i.e., when I am playing golf).

G35X is being replaced by another car (which I put the downpayment on last night), but I am trying to tighten the belt a little, so it is also an older car (with low mileage). Pics to follow, once the deal is done.

hammer

Pathfinder replaces Jeep Cherokee as ski car/my fiancée's car (she commutes via foot and train during the week, so only on weekends does she need it, and then only sometimes are we not together...i.e., when I am playing golf).

G35X is being replaced by another car (which I put the downpayment on last night), but I am trying to tighten the belt a little, so it is also an older car (with low mileage). Pics to follow, once the deal is done.
Why are you replacing the G35X? Test drove one of those a while back...sweet ride, loads of power.

with the G rated at 300hp...makes the PF a WHOLE lot more desirable at the pump with weekend runs to ski country...

bvibert

Staff member

Pay no attention to him.

Congrats on your recent purchase, it should serve you well and you know exactly what you're getting yourself into too.

Let us know what car you end up with too...

Grassi21

Just be sure to slap another Ithaca is Gorges sticker on it. Every car needs one. :) I have one on my ski helmet as well.

Glenn

Lookin good Jay! Nice mileage too! Wow! Really low for 2001.

Our 2003 Grand Cherokee is roughly the same size. For two people it's a really good ski vehicle; it's what we use mostly for our trips. I can fold down one rear seat and get our skis in the back no problem. I use a ski bag to lay them in so they don't drip all over the place on the return trip.

jaywbigred

Why are you replacing the G35X? Test drove one of those a while back...sweet ride, loads of power.
Lease is up, and I am also done leasing for now.

with the G rated at 300hp...makes the PF a WHOLE lot more desirable at the pump with weekend runs to ski country...

I only took it on a couple ski trips (usually took the Jeep), but it got pretty decent gas mileage (I had a VW Touareg before this..yuck!)

306 HP. It is FAST. Really a fantastic car to drive. I am not sure it stands the test of time (in terms of styling and quality of materials -- engine-wise I am sure it will) as well as the german cars (maybe it does), but out of the box it was much more impressive: faster at the price point, and way better gadgetry and repair costs.

However, I think it "knew" I was about to "cheat" on it. As I drove home from the dealership yesterday (where I put the deposit on the G35's replacement), it started making some new noises and the steering got sluggish. Pretty sure it is power steering fluid issue, possibly a leak. This morning I had NO power steering, and then I added some power steering fluid it got a lot better. I am already mentally preparing for what is going to happen with the lease turn-in and this issue...

While the car itself has been impressive, I had some bad experiences with the local Infiniti dealerships that were disappointing. The one I purchased from I think hosed me a little on the price; they have one of these fancy service departments, bagels and pastries always out, computers w internet, TVs on, free drinks everywhere, hot girls behind the counter, free car washes for life, etc...but they never had loaners available, and it took a long time to get an appointment. Then I moved, and the new dealership I started going to for service charged basically half as much for everything!!! They didn't have the amenities of the first dealership, but I guess I was paying for those cinnamon buns all along!!! Stupid on my part, but lesson learned.

The second dealership was better priced, and it was easier to get an apt. and a loaner, but they were super-unresponsive to get in touch with, which was quite annoying as well.

In the long run, I think I am going to enjoy having used cars and having them serviced privately whenever possible by a friend of mine who has been a mechanic for 20+ years.