• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who does your wrenching?

body2big

HI all new to this forum. I am doing the majority of my own repairs as well. Buying tools as needed. I got the Park Tool book and its decent. As many of you I do all my own minor repairs and leave the wheels and bigger stuff to the shop. My cranks are starting to creak and I don't have any tools for it so that may be a shop trip.

Shawn

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome to the forums Shawn. Am I to assume you are a fellow clydesdale from your avatar?

Greg

Staff member
I guess I do since I've never brought it to the shop. Luckily, I haven't had to do any major repairs yet, but basic maintenance/tune-ups. When the time comes, I'll have Brian or Tim down to my house and get them drunk as they fix my shit. ;)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Free tune-ups from the shop (lifetime). I'll do a basic drivetrain clean & lube every now and then but let the shop do it once a year. I could probabily do more, but I really don't want to be bothered.

bvibert

Staff member
I do all my own work. I've ripped into most parts of the bike, except for a suspension fork, but I will at some point. I really need to get a bike stand, that'll make a lot of things a lot easier to work on...

Grassi21

I do all my own work. I've ripped into most parts of the bike, except for a suspension fork, but I will at some point. I really need to get a bike stand, that'll make a lot of things a lot easier to work on...

+1 on the bike stand. I am starting to turn my own wrenches but still have a ton to learn. The extent of my wrenching so far is tearing off a set or derailleurs and shifter, removing a cassette, installing a single speed kit and chain tensioner, and cutting/sizing a chain. Because I am super paranoid and will be taking my 21 mo. old out on this bike I am having the mechanic at the LBS look over my work.

bvibert

Staff member
Most of my work is done with the bike either leaning against something or turned upside down. A few times I've rigged a ratchet strap to the roof overhang of my garage to get the end of the bike I was working on up in the air a bit. Like the other day when I was trying to adjust my rear brake until I figured out the rotor had a hug wobble, so it turned into me desperately trying to true the rear rotor. Turns out that I don't know how to true rotors, if anything it's worse now... :eek:

Grassi21

Most of my work is done with the bike either leaning against something or turned upside down. A few times I've rigged a ratchet strap to the roof overhang of my garage to get the end of the bike I was working on up in the air a bit. Like the other day when I was trying to adjust my rear brake until I figured out the rotor had a hug wobble, so it turned into me desperately trying to true the rear rotor. Turns out that I don't know how to true rotors, if anything it's worse now... :eek:

I'm tempted to fashion a ghetto stand out of PVC or wood. But as you can guess, the stand would only be useful for the bike it was built for. I have 2 bikes to work on now and am anticipating more as the kid and wife get into the sport more.

Greg

Staff member
Turns out that I don't know how to true rotors, if anything it's worse now... :eek:

The only thing I've ever done is wrap a rag around it and try to bend it by hand. I never used pliers or anything. I've still got some warpage, but I don't worry about it.

bvibert

Staff member
The only thing I've ever done is wrap a rag around it and try to bend it by hand. I never used pliers or anything. I've still got some warpage, but I don't worry about it.

I tried the hand bending method first, that wasn't working for me this time, then I took out an adjustable wrench... :eek: Now I think it wobbles in the other direction as well as the original wobble still being there... :roll: I may try my hand again with two adjustable wrenches, or I may just give up and buy a new one...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I tried the hand bending method first, that wasn't working for me this time, then I took out an adjustable wrench... :eek: Now I think it wobbles in the other direction as well as the original wobble still being there... :roll: I may try my hand again with two adjustable wrenches, or I may just give up and buy a new one...

Using two adjustable wrenches is the only way I've ever had success. Works reasonably well. I just got it so the rub wasn't so bad it was producing enough friction to notice or slow the wheel down appreciably when spun freely. I can stand a little noise... resistance not so much.

bvibert

Staff member
Using two adjustable wrenches is the only way I've ever had success. Works reasonably well. I just got it so the rub wasn't so bad it was producing enough friction to notice or slow the wheel down appreciably when spun freely. I can stand a little noise... resistance not so much.

There's considerable resistance, I too can deal with the noise, but I need my bike to roll as smoothly as possible...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
There's considerable resistance, I too can deal with the noise, but I need my bike to roll as smoothly as possible...

Indeed.

I also used some rags between the rotor and wrenchs so as not to create any little compression marks in the rotor. Probably aren't bending hard enough to do that, but I didn't want to take the chance.

bvibert

Staff member
I think if I use two adjustables I'll have better luck, either that or it's just bent beyond what a mere mortal can fix.

big oz

I do all my own wrenching and wheelbuilding (I actually build all my own wheelsets, and I will often rebuild the OEM wheels the right way after I get a new bike).....I will work on just about anything on a suspension fork/ shock except replacing the bushings or steerer tube (special tools that cost 2 much). For the novice, it is easier and cheaper to send it out..... Three reasons: 1 - front and rear shocks change so rapidly it would cost you more than the repairs to buy the specific tools for any major service. 2 - You have choices other than the OEM manufactuer. There are a lot of good service guys out there that specialize in MTB suspension and do it on the cheap. 3 - If they screw it up, it's on them....you mess up something major, you might be buying a new fork. The biggest issues with home mechanics seems to be in the area of drivetrains, wheel truing/tensioning, and bleeding brakes. After that would be bearing issues (headset, wheels, BB). If you take your time and buy some basic bike tools including a good repair stand you have half the battle won.