• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who does your wrenching?

bvibert

Staff member
I do all my own work. I've ripped into most parts of the bike, except for a suspension fork, but I will at some point. I really need to get a bike stand, that'll make a lot of things a lot easier to work on...

Tonight I ripped into my first fork. It's had limited travel for a while now, so my plan was to swap my old fork back in and to take a look the current for to see what was up. I ended up completely tearing it down, cleaning it, and putting everything back together with fresh oil. I wish I had a rebuild kit so I could have replaced all the o-rings and stuff... I think what had happened is that oil was leaking down from the dampening cartridge into the lower leg, causing the fork not to be able to compress all the way. Now that the oil is where it should be I have full travel again. Since I didn't replace any o-rings I expect the same problem to happen again, but I hope it lasts me a while at least so I can get the o-rings ordered and do the job the right way next time.

MR. evil

Tonight I ripped into my first fork. It's had limited travel for a while now, so my plan was to swap my old fork back in and to take a look the current for to see what was up. I ended up completely tearing it down, cleaning it, and putting everything back together with fresh oil. I wish I had a rebuild kit so I could have replaced all the o-rings and stuff... I think what had happened is that oil was leaking down from the dampening cartridge into the lower leg, causing the fork not to be able to compress all the way. Now that the oil is where it should be I have full travel again. Since I didn't replace any o-rings I expect the same problem to happen again, but I hope it lasts me a while at least so I can get the o-rings ordered and do the job the right way next time.

Nice job!