• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gear Lemons?

deadheadskier

Staff member
tmcc71's inquiry for bindings got me thinking about this topic.

How common do you think it is to purchase gear 'Lemons' in ski world.

I ask because I think I have Lemon bindings. I bought a set of Rossignol Axial 120 bindings 3-4 years ago. They might have 40 days on them. I've had nothing but problems with them since pretty much my first day out. My understanding is that they are pretty much the same binding as a Dynaster PX 12?

In 25 years of skiing I've never ever really had binding issues. Some pre-release issues occasionally, but nothing like this particular pair. Pre-release problems, breaks falling off, having to not just stomp on them, but reach down and lift up the heal piece to get them to engage, a situation last spring where the binding completely folded over. In three years of owning them, they've probably been looked at 8 times by technicians. I can't recall ever having to have a tec look at bindings once after the initial mount prior to this particular pair. constant issues and I've abused them far less than almost every binding I've owned prior.

......yet, I see a number of people recommend the Rossi/Dynaster PX 12 binding often here. Makes me think I purchased a 'Lemon' pair.

Do you think 'Lemon' ski gear is out there much like 'Lemon' cars used to be discussed years ago?

Hawkshot99

Do you think 'Lemon' ski gear is out there much like 'Lemon' cars used to be discussed years ago?

Would not surprise me if it happened. I would think your binding would be less likely to be a "lemon" than a wood core ski. Getting wood from 2 different trees, that dont match right, or a tree that was just too soft, for that performance ski.

snowmonster

Yup, there are lemons out there and sometimes your number comes up and you get to ride the lemon. I have a Rossi Axial 120 binding and it's worked fine -- so far. With a design flaw, it usually becomes apparent when consumers start complaining and the manufacturer starts a recall. But, sometimes, it's just one balky pair in the bunch -- the one pair that gets past the quality control guys -- and that pair magically finds you.

Which is why I'm thankful for lifetime guarantees that some retailers and manufacturers offer. It shields you from having to live with a lemon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
taken them to four different stores / tecs. some quite reputable. To Rossi's credit, after the 'fold over' incident last season, they replaced the entire heal piece free of charge, even though the bindings are circa 05-06 I believe.

bigbog

Got a deal out of doing a little work for a shop that gets Rossignol gear. Grabbed a pair of S3s(tip/tail rocker)....(98mm). With other fat skis out there that look great, guess I'll be the Rossi 98mm guinea pig, with the snowmonster, for tip rocker expeditions this winter....
Martin, didn't read anything regarding your S7's tip rocker experiences.....y/n?..... Powder was somewhat Vermont-Oriented last season, but any thoughts so far?...in the NE.?

$.01

snowmonster

^ bigbog, the S7s are money. It's a great ski in the glades,very nimble in tight spaces. It actually does fine in bumps and hardpack for such a wide rockered ski. I used the S7s all over Sunday River, the Loaf and Jay Peak. Of course, the best use for it was in wide spaces after a big dump like on the snowfields. The S7s were my go to ski during the season. They make you want to ski in glades. From what I've read about the S3, it's basically a narrower S7 and most are saying it'll be better for east coast skiing. Enjoy! I look forward to skiing with you this season on those bad boys!