• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Baxter State Park - Russell Pond

salsgang

Date(s) Hiked: July 26-29, 2010

Trails(s) Hiked: Russell Pond Trail, Wassataquoik Stream Trail, Lookout Ledges from Russell, Parts of the Wassataquoik Lake Trail

Total Distance: Main hike about 8 miles one-way. 1-2 mile side hikes during camping stay.

Difficulty: easy trial - but moderate due to packs

Conditions: Trials in good shape - few muddy spots but not bad

Special Required Equipment: None

Trip Report: Had a great trip to Russell Pond in Baxter. I am usually posting reports about Saddleback Skiing but thought I would share a summer adventure.

It was mainly a fishing trip with the boyz. Fishing was good at Deep and Six Ponds - spotty on Russell pond itself. Got a bunch of fish on Hornburg Flies and worms. Got a nice 12" brookie on Deep Pond which was great. Very pretty fish in Baxter - lots of color and nice eating.

The hike in went well although we carried way too much stuff. I had not backpacked in 17 years and I went in with 62 pounds on the back. Hiked out at 52 pounds which was much better. Will leave a few things at home next time. Trials were in good shape and the Wassataquoik was low which made the stream crossing easy.

Russell is a great place to go if you are in to some backcountry hiking that is supported by Rangers, lean-tos and bunkhouses. So while it is still "roughing it" you do still have some support so you are not totally alone.

Some links to pictures. I think the link will work even if you don't have a facebook account

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2054106&id=1025803736&l=a97a6f5785

I love summer but I am also looking forward to the snow flying!

bigbog

Nice TR Salsgang.
Surprised the reader Jennifer Jason? Smith(sounding like she's from Corporate America Central) didn't pick up on the pic where one of your boys looked like he had a joint in his mouth...
Sheez, can't even post something without the behavior_form_from_somewhere(urban) ...probably a credit score evaluator available somewhere on the page as well....

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
RP got a bunkhouse? Has that always been there? I just remember the lean-tos and all the requisite animal accompaniment!

Thanks for the pics. Brings back good memories.

salsgang

Yea I first went into RP in the early 80's and they had an old bunkhouse there, slept 15 people or so if I remember correctly. Part of the original sporting camps prior to Baxter I believe.

In the early 90's they built a new 8 person bunkhouse and tore down the old one. Very nice and is used in the winter for winter hiking. Woodstove. Gas Lamps. Nice place to crash after a hike in and you don't have to fight the chipmunks for your food.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Great report and pictures. Baxter is an amazing place for those that have not been. It is the 2 year anniversary of my week up there!

Riverskier

??? bigbog ??? - what are you talking about?

I spent about 10 minutes trying to decipher that post and for the life of me couldn't figure out the message. No offense bigbog, just confused.

By the way salsgang, nice TR. I grew up in Maine and have still yet to visit Baxter, but it is definitely on my short list.

bigbog

??? bigbog ??? - what are you talking about?

Nothing important...just one of the facebook commenters....with some humorous stuff, and sounding like a big city girl.
TRs are great... Outdoor activities, done as a family....give youngsters the chance to grow without them feeling like being under the microscope.

Last edited:

bigbog

...;-), I didn't intend to degrade you nice trip Michael. The big movers and shakers of society are trying to get rid of backcountry and turn it into profitable real estate....ie suburbs, even way up here....so as one who got indoctrinated into enjoying wilderness decades ago.... I like to make others aware of the great quantity of unspoiled woodlands officially UNmarked by state government.
$.01

Angus

was at baxter this weekend and it felt like October. I was told there was sleet on the summit Friday. I need to spend a week up there sometime - closest thing to the western states wilderness (maybe the Adirondacks but I haven't spent enough time there!)

salsgang

was at baxter this weekend and it felt like October. I was told there was sleet on the summit Friday. I need to spend a week up there sometime - closest thing to the western states wilderness (maybe the Adirondacks but I haven't spent enough time there!)

Nice Angus! I am already got the itch to go back...