• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Bike Build

bvibert

Staff member
Looks sick! That should work out great for you! Can't wait to check it out in person tomorrow.

wa-loaf

P1000846.JPG

What's with the huge stack? Is it going to stay that way?

WoodCore

I was thinking the same thing.

what is that, a 200mm stem?

The stack is only little higher than my old ride and I wanted to see how it would fit/ride before I cut the stearer tube too short. BTW that would be a 110mm stem same as on my old bike.

MR. evil

You may want to experiment with a shorter stem in the 60mm to 70mm range. The bike will handle better with a shorter stem and be more fun on the downs.

WoodCore

You may want to experiment with a shorter stem in the 60mm to 70mm range. The bike will handle better with a shorter stem and be more fun on the downs.

Might go there down the road but for now it's riding A OK!

MR. evil

Jeff, how is your build going?

At this rate I will have my new HT frame picked out and built up before you are done.

MR. evil

Looks sweet, love the brown and black color scheme. Will it be done for your next ride?

Best tool to cut a steerer tube, IMO opinion anyway, is a pipe / tubing cutter. I have one large enough if you want to borrow it.

o3jeff

Hopefully it'll be ready for a ride for next week, just ordered some more spacers for the headset. Tim, i'll take you up on the offer on the tube cutter if you can remember it next time we ride. Most of the stuff left is what i'm thinking is going to be the PITA stuff(rear derailleur, running cables, adjusting derailleurs and brakes). I guess i need to start reading my Zinn mtb book!

MR. evil

I will throw that tube cutter in my back pack so I'm sure I have it next time we ride. Cables can be a pain the first time. A good sharp pair or cutters are your best friend for cutting housing and cables. You need to make quick clean cuts or the cables may fray at the ends.

Btw - Bb7s are a snap to setup.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The stack is only little higher than my old ride and I wanted to see how it would fit/ride before I cut the stearer tube too short. BTW that would be a 110mm stem same as on my old bike.

If you want to play with the stem height before cutting the steerer tube you can always put spacers between the top of the stem and the cap. You can also always buy a new stem with a different rise, of course.

Back in the day of threaded fork tubes and head sets, you had to buy the fork tube the right length unless you had a pipe threader. That was kinda stressful. Although you could adjust the stem height without touching the tension on the headset, which was nice. Unfortunately the old quill stems weighed about ten pounds.

o3jeff

Swapped out the 36 tooth front chain ring for a 32 (had to pull the cranks). Also put on the brake levers, shifters and lock on grips.

What are you guys using to hold the brake cable housing to the loops on the frames, zip ties? I need to pick up some brake cable and housings for the shifter cables this week.