• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SMBA (Saratoga Springs, NY) 7/31/10

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Long Ride today up at the SMBA trails near Skidmore College. We wanted to do "Dam" the long trail that goes out extremely far from the trailhead with no support or civilization in sight. We made it, but it was a struggle. We started off on the carriage trail, and then we rocked "Swam Pass". I was feeling rough. I usually make it without putting a foot down, but today, I dropped it twice. I'm going to go ahead and blame it on my heavy pack. I was carrying water, some Gatorade . . . Ahhh, who am I kidding? I SUCK!!! Anyway, here's the Video:

After Swam Pass, we cruised on Bee over to the Dam trail. We knew going in that it was gong to be tough. We saw a vertical rock wall, and we told each other that it might not be possible. Fortunately, we were prepared for a long day. We hiked/biked/hiked/biked/biked our way towards the Dam Peninsula trail. It was tough going in some spots, but really fun in other spots. Here's a few pics:

CIMG7057.JPG

Helmet+Cam+7-31+001.jpg

Helmet+Cam+7-31+013.jpg

Helmet+Cam+7-31+006.jpg

The Fish Eye Lens of my helmet cam gives a little distortion, but you get the idea. A lot of it was pretty great. Some of it was pretty Gnarly. For Example after we rode the Dam, The Dam Peninsula, and then the Dam for a while, we came upon this little treat (called "The Dragon's Back"):

Helmet+Cam+7-31+019.jpg

It's this kind of ride that makes me ask myself if I'm a panzy. I mean, it's a brutal knife edge rock, steeply dipping, with a rooty runout between trees. When I first started mountain biking (a mere month and a half ago), I never would have even thought about attempting it. But today, I stood on top and I wondered:"Can I do this????" I eventually decided "No."

I'm getting better. Someday soon, I'll get over the dragon's back.

WoodCore

Nice report! I've always wanted to check this place out.