• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Official 2005-06 Ski Season Breakdown Thread

How many days did you ski (or will you ski) this season?

• 0 Days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 10 Days

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • 11 - 20 Days

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • 21 - 30 Days

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • 31 - 40 Days

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • 41 - 50 Days

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • 51 - 60 Days

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • 61 - 70 Days

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 71 - 80 Days

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 81 - 90 Days

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 91 - 100 Days

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 101+ Days

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

JimG.

Staff member
BW1 said:
Hello everyone,

I don't usually get on forums, but I felt this was important. Here is what I just went out with on the web and on our snow reports:

THIS JUST IN: OUR LAST DAY HAS BEEN BUMPED UP!!

We are shutting down for the season tomorrow, Friday, May 5th, so come on up make some of those final turns of the year! As promised, we will be offering FREE SKIING ALL DAY!! Enjoy a BBQ on the deck from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. After visiting us on the mountain on Friday, head to the Mount Washington Golf Course and enjoy 2-for-1 golf with a valid lift ticket from that day!

I hear the sound of high hopes being trampled underfoot. The rain and warmth must've really done a number, huh?

However, your post only solidifies my impression that BW is a place that looks out for its' clientele. How many other ski resorts would have taken the time to post here and tell us the bad news? Only the new Sugarbush comes to mind. Kudos to you!

And my condolensces to those whose ski season just ended.

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
However, your post only solidifies my impression that BW is a place that looks out for its' clientele. How many other ski resorts would have taken the time to post here and tell us the bad news? Only the new Sugarbush comes to mind. Kudos to you!
Well said, Jim. Interesting how this little Web site is garnering a lot of attention from the ski industry lately. I'm really starting to believe we all have some influence and can indeed shape the Northeast skiing landscape a bit.

Thanks for the notice BW1. We always welcome industry insiders here.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Greg said:
Well said, Jim. Interesting how this little Web site is garnering a lot of attention from the ski industry lately. I'm really starting to believe we all have some influence and can indeed shape the Northeast skiing landscape a bit.

i suspect the influence of a web site on the industry is less influential than may be believed outside the fact that we give a platform for opinion, and opinion can sway choices. when a ski area does something good (for example, sugarbush this past weekend), these forums give them (deservedly) good press. same when they do something not so good. aside from that, we certainly help the marketing department out as well in regards to getting free data and information that they normally have to research. i know greg openly welcomes the industry insiders and i have no problem with insiders posting to forums. but there is a thin line between posting useful info and using a forum for free PR and marketing due to good will. always a thin line which is why many insiders don't post. the best insiders are those that get involved with other threads, not just those that pimp their own mountain. i appreciate the inside info though, not saying i don't...

i am shooting to equal my total from last season which was 38. i am currently at 29 and still going strong. i will check back in two months :p

shwilly

9 days Sugarloaf
6 days Whistler-Blackcomb
5 days SR
3 days Kton
1 day Attitash
1 day Sugarbush
1 day Wildcat
1 day Loon
1 day Jay

and they were all a lot of fun.

More days and less r**n next season :beer:

Last edited:

ga2ski

Greg said:

I know some other marketing reps read here, not sure if they post. One resort definitely comes to mind . . . . especially when one of their moderators gets :angry: when May Day is moved to mid April. ;-)

Vortex

I could not been more on the other side of the issue with Steve than I am. (We agree to disagree)
Any imput from a resort is good. We can determine on our own if its poistive, negitive or just marketing spin. Where else do you get resort input from? One of the reasons I'm still on the Sr board is the interaction between the resort and the patrons. You still get info first and some that you might not get elswhere.
BW1 came here.. I asked him to take a look sometime. I don't know if I influenced him or not. No marketing spin just a snow report, same thing that was on the web site. He knew a group of us was coming up. I thought it very classy. Not easy to bring bad news. He was not trying to sell anything. He stated that he did not come to many web sites. I would guess to avoid any controversy. I'm glad he came and glad Win stops in as well as peak marketing girl and nekgirl. just my opinion

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know for a fact that these resorts follow the site and take it seriously:

Sugarbush (posting on the site)
Pats Peak (posting on the site)
Burke (ditto)
Cannon
Wachusett
Sunday River
Wildcat

Now if this is not evidence of the credibility of the site, than I don't know what else would be :roll:

loafer89

I am now at 22 days and I am aiming for 25 before I call it quits. Next year I should easily get in 40-50 days.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
i suspect the influence of a web site on the industry is less influential than may be believed outside the fact that we give a platform for opinion, and opinion can sway choices.
I don't understand your point. If opinions sway choices, we are influential.

riverc0il said:
we certainly help the marketing department out as well in regards to getting free data and information that they normally have to research.
Nothing wrong with that. I appluad those markeitng departments that are savvy enough to find some value in the opinions and ideas posted in forums like AZ. This "free data" is available to them regardless of whether we encourage their participation or not. Keep in mind that forums like AZ are only representative of one segment of their guest demographic, i.e. a more passionate, hard core guest profile. Often times, this group is more savvy themselves, in that we look for deals, are more partial to advanced terrain, features, perhaps do not value off-slope amenities as much, etc. Providing feedback can results in changes to those very things that are important to us.

riverc0il said:
i know greg openly welcomes the industry insiders and i have no problem with insiders posting to forums. but there is a thin line between posting useful info and using a forum for free PR and marketing due to good will. always a thin line which is why many insiders don't post. the best insiders are those that get involved with other threads, not just those that pimp their own mountain. i appreciate the inside info though, not saying i don't...
You're tough to please. ;) Can't have it both ways. Folks that provide inside info will inherently be promoting their own mountains. I don't think BW1's post crossed this line in any way if that's what you're alluding to. The bottom line of his (her?) post was to notify us of a closing schedule change. What's the big deal if he mentioned a free BBQ as well...?

Bob R said:
Any imput from a resort is good. We can determine on our own if its poistive, negitive or just marketing spin. Where else do you get resort input from?
Well said, Bob. We're all big boys and girls and we can make our own informed decisions based on the info posted. I never understood why some folks get so totally insulted by a little harmless shilling, especially if it's on topic. As this forum has grown we've adjusted our promotions policies a bit, but I've always took the approach that info posted that is on topic, or useful, is welcome, even if it is a bit salesy. This is a tough balancing act, as we certainly don't want spam to clutter the forums, but taking a really agressive stance against any promo posts will only further discourage industry reps from participating here.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
*sigh* i guess i should have edited and try to clarify my already way too long post more, but often times it is hard to effectively communicate points on a forum.

I don't understand your point. If opinions sway choices, we are influential.
i meant swaying opinions of customers, not swaying opinions of ski areas.

Keep in mind that forums like AZ are only representative of one segment of their guest demographic, i.e. a more passionate, hard core guest profile.
all the more reason that ski area insiders won't put a lot of influential value on forums. though, there are many folks on AZ that only get out a handful of times a year. i suspect the most prolific posters ski a lot, but a great number of users aren't really that hard core. certainly better than average in terms of number of days though.

You're tough to please. Can't have it both ways. Folks that provide inside info will inherently be promoting their own mountains. I don't think BW1's post crossed this line in any way if that's what you're alluding to. The bottom line of his (her?) post was to notify us of a closing schedule change. What's the big deal if he mentioned a free BBQ as well...?
not sure if i am that tough to please. i don't want it both ways, but i think it is fair to expect insiders to post more than self promotion even in a PSA announcement format. i did not mean to call out BW1's post specifically, but it struck a cord. win has also posted exlusively bush promos and announcements recently and then we have our whaleback rep that only posts whaleback info, etc. not trying to jump on any one specifically, but i am noticing a trend of official reps from resorts coming on board and just posting blurbs about their areas. it is not so much being insulted by a "little harmless shilling," but eventually every ski area in new england will be on here posting every promo they have to offer. i appreciate hearing the "official unofficial word" but it is annoying enough seeing the PR spin on the resort's web site, let alone the same thing here. again, not pointing fingers or singnaling any one out, but once you start down that slope, that is the direction things could potentially head in.

as i stated before, i appreicate the insider info but would love to see the insiders get involved with the forums instead of just pimping their own conditions and promos. i didn't mean to make a big deal about the whole thing, just wanted to make an observation and i certainly don't want to detract from people working in the industry registering and sharing their knowledge. rocket21 (B'east) and katebennett (booth creek) on nelsap forums, for example, are both insiders and active participants in the forums and contribute lots of good info. they slip in a pitch every once in a while, but that is a lot cooler coming from an active member... which was kind of the biggest nudge i wanted to make ;)

Greg

Staff member
I see your point, Steve. Hopefully some of the reps will start to participate more on a AZ member level.

Terry

Guess I gotta admit that this season is done for me. I have a lot of commitments the next few weeks so it looks like hiking for turns is out. I had a great season even though the natural snow was not there. Everywhere I skied the manmade was very good. Thanks to all the mountains for making the best of a tough year. I ended up with 77 days total and skied with a lot of diferent people. I am really bumming out right now, but am counting the days till next season! This is the first weekend since early nov that I have not skied. Withdrawal will be tough, but somehow I will manage!:beer:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Terry said:
Guess I gotta admit that this season is done for me. I have a lot of commitments the next few weeks so it looks like hiking for turns is out. I had a great season even though the natural snow was not there. Everywhere I skied the manmade was very good. Thanks to all the mountains for making the best of a tough year. I ended up with 77 days total and skied with a lot of diferent people. I am really bumming out right now, but am counting the days till next season! This is the first weekend since early nov that I have not skied. Withdrawal will be tough, but somehow I will manage!:beer:

Well, join the club, skied last Sunday, was hoping to do some hiking, but have commitments as well. Probably won't be free for another couple of weeks, by then it may be kind of tough. Well had the bike and BBQ out the last two days :beer:

Vortex

I hiked Loon's lower Picked this weekend. Got a couple or runs in. There and upper angel st are the only places left with enough snow to make it work. I watched a bit of the huck and hike at Loon with my son and made a few turns. We decided against a big trip, cause of the potential rain that we got late in the afternoon. 72 days out gear washed and put away.

dmc

Going to get a few more nights of hiking @ Hunter as well as MAYBE one more Tucks trip..

RobR - bummer BW closed Saturday - I was going to put my wet gear on and make some turns...

skibum1321

I'm done too. Last Sunday at the Bush ended up being my last day of the season. I was supposed to make a trip to Tucks on Sat but my friend b**ched out because he wanted to watch the NHL playoffs. I need new friends...

dmc

Bob R said:
Glad you found out Doug. I was hoping you got the info. Sad it did not work out. Did yard work all afternoon on sunday.

We found out from some random people at Pinkham Notch...

Got home in the afternoon on Sunday... Killed some caterpillar nests and rested my hamstrings...
Takes a couple days to get over 3 days of climbing and riding...

dmc

skibum1321 said:
I'm done too. Last Sunday at the Bush ended up being my last day of the season. I was supposed to make a trip to Tucks on Sat but my friend b**ched out because he wanted to watch the NHL playoffs. I need new friends...

Or the gumption to just get in the car and go!