• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Highland 8-8

powbmps

Link to trail map: http://highlandmountain.com/visit/trail-map

Met up with Frank, Mondeo and maybe 6 other people whose names escape me. Only took one run down Fancy Feast to figure out who the weak link was :lol:. Took Hellion twice. Great trail with lots of rollers. Tried out Threshold once. That one was pretty rough. Very rocky with quite a bit of downclimbing on the upper portion.

Three more people showed up from the Killington area. They needed to get warmed up so I headed off with them. Had a fun run down Meadows End and another on Fancy Feast. Hate to admit it, but I felt more at home on these two runs, probably because they are the closest thing to the "XC type DH" I am comfortable with.

Finished up with another trip down Hellion. My best feeling run of the day, but I was beat so I figured it was time to head home. A little hot in all the gear and the trails are almost too dry in spots (dust and sand), but overall the conditions were great.

Only managed a couple of crappy pictures. The jump was great, but the runout was a bit sketchy :razz:.

Last edited:

mondeo

I'd blame the bike. Highland isn't the sort of place you want a XC bike.

And my hands hurt. We stayed until around 3, a lot of runs down Hellion. I can do rocks any time, jumps like that, not so much.

powbmps

My hands are hurting too. I can attribute it to coming up short on every one of those Hellion jumps :dunce:.

Did any of those people you were with get some photos/video? I noticed that one guy had his camera out quite a bit.

mondeo

I think he ended up with video of everybody along every foot of that trail. Could probably splice together a full run of everyone. Frank will know better what's going on with that.

frankm938

we stayed there until around 7:00 drinking beers and watching the video that dana shot. he has a ton video that he is going to edit and then send out. the best video is of kano falling of the cliff!! (hes fine other than a cracked helmet and a headache)

great ride, hellion is the best trail in the east. we must have rode it 20 times. cant wait to go back

btw.. pete is ok, just a separated shoulder

mondeo

These two qoutes are making me second guess my idea of getting a dedicated light DH / FR bike.
Pete's crash (according to Frank, who saw it,) was a freak one, going around a berm the bike just stopped, he kept going. Good to hear it's just a seperated shoulder.

And we all know that no one ever goes into the woods after drops on XC bikes...

MR. evil

Can't play vimeo stuff on my iPhone. I assume it's a video of us at Millers?