• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWF Frogwatch Program

Sky

I've been doing the Frogwatch program for about 4 years now...maybe 6.

Pretty interesting passtime. Sort of makes the coming of Spring interesting...a transition form skiing to watching.

I think I heard about is on NPR and looked into it from there.

If you are interested...if the sound of the Spring Peepers interests you...here's the website.

http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchUSA/

I have a link to a Univ of Kentucky web site that has all the "calls" of the various frogs you might hear in your local swamp.

http://bioweb.wku.edu/froglogger/

I'm lucky in that there's a small swamp in my neighbor's yard...so I get the peepers, the wood frogs, and other tree frogs from spring through fall. I just sit on the back deck and give a listen...and log the info in of the Frogwatch site.

With temps like this...it won't be long.

JimG.

Staff member
I have a river and a pond on my property...starting to hear the peepers now, and they will soon become amazingly loud and persistent.

I like wildlife and aquatic creatures, but the sound of those peepers bothers me...it's a constant reminder that ski season is just about toast.

ctenidae

That's pretty cool.

I can still identify a few species of woodpecker by the sound they make banging their heads on trees, a skill left over from my days in Arizona. At one time I could ID about 40 species of birds from their calls, but it was mostly Western species. Use it or lose it.

I'd recommend doing the frogwatch, if you can. It's pretty amazing what you hear once you start listening.

Unfortunately, there aren't many frogs in the South End. At least, not the amphibian kind.

loafer89

My wife now calls me the frog killer because in December I "evicted" a giant frog that had taken up residence in our koi pond. I dropped the frog over the side of our fence and discovered him a few days later on our back lawn near the pond, apparently a flash freeze caught up with the frog before it made it back into our pond.:cry:

I personally am not fond of having frogs in my pond as they have a habit of getting caught in our waterfall pump and cleaning out the remains of the frogs makes me:puke:

dmc

Marc said:
Does it tell you which ones you can lick?

I think those are toads.. :)

I heard the "March peepers" last night on my drive to Stamford... Really loud..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Balls. Are you telling me I liked the slime off six varieties of frogs and I wasn't even on the right species?

What a crock.

dmc

Marc said:
Balls. Are you telling me I liked the slime off six varieties of frogs and I wasn't even on the right species?

What a crock.

Hey - if you started tripping then I guess I'm wrong...
So - did any make you trip? Got any more? :)

dmc

Marc said:
No. But it kinda got me craving frogs legs...

So I had some chicken for dinner.

I had the same craving... So I had alligator which tastes like chicken to remind me of frogs..