• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Forward Lean Question

bigbog

Ok guys/ladies....time for a skiboot question,
If one was to encounter excessive forward lean while in a boot a shellsize too big(using footbeds..etc)....would that forward lean be lessened if one were to get into the correct shellsize? Footbeds would be worn..etc. Don't think I took off all rearward paraphrenalia(sp?)
Pondering over this boot that DID have liner packout issues(Technica Diablo Mag with the heatform "Hyperfit" Hypo Schnipo liners). I tried it when it came out but I bought it too big...
In the right shellsize...it's under $160 online... Liner options: Zipfits, or maybe a Nordica SM 14 liner.. <-- a nice liner, sent after I had packed out my SM 10s..

$.01..

wa-loaf

check to see if all shims/forward lean stuff are taken off the back. A boot tech could also put a lifter under the toes to set you back.

bigbog

Yes wa-loaf...that would be #1 move. Even though it was uncomfortable(too big you idiot Steve) cuz of having to overcrank on the buckling.... I think I'll at least give them, in the better size, a(nother) try...lol.
But then I can think of a few boots that I can move into pretty well....this exercise over this particular boot may die a quick death..lol

Last edited:

Black Phantom

Yes wa-loaf...that would be #1 move. Even though it was uncomfortable(too big you idiot Steve) cuz of having to overcrank on the buckling.... I think I'll at least give them, in the better size, a(nother) try...lol.
But then I can think of a few boots that I can move into pretty well....this exercise over this particular boot may die a quick death..lol

those boots, and most BTW, have very little customizing capabilities. There is also very little forward lean due to the way skis are currently turned.

bigbog

Agree with ya' Phantom, but I do still go with, what is called a more "lateral" boot.. Most are ok with me..with my limited dorsiflexion/rigid forefoot and with a bit of arthritis that landed on me at birth = makes for a somewhat narrow envelope for forward lean..although a bit of stretching/yoga exercises prior to skiing really helps a ton.
I kissed that "save a ton of $$$" idea off...just as I realized I couldn't really tell, just by visualization...if I'd be getting any fixable/unfixable crushing pressure over navicular/instep... or a cave around my ankle/lower-shin.
Anyone with the variable-width lower leg and heatgun experience ever "Go At It"...actually attempt to heat up and push inward points in the lower cuff a bit to snug up fit...?
The list of a few boots to try shouldn't be that tough this time.....

Last edited:

Glenn

Do you have a decent boot fitter in your area? My wife and I started going to one last year. It's made a huge difference.

drjeff

Do you have a decent boot fitter in your area? My wife and I started going to one last year. It's made a huge difference.

+1

Knowing of that same fitter(Nick at Mount Snow's Bootworks) you referenced above Glenn, I'm done using my brain cells to figure out what tweaks I might need to make to my boots, or even what boots to buy. I just walk in, and tell him what i'm feeling (or in the case of when I bought a new pair last New Years Eve, what my skiing style/ability is) and then let the pro do what he does best. As much as the guy in me thinks that I may know every answer to every problem that I encounter with my equipment :rolleyes: I've come to realize more and more that while EVENTUALLY I might solve the problem on my own, if I get the pro involved at the beginning, 9 times out of 10, the problem gets solved a heck of alot quicker :)

Glenn

I'm going to see if I can steer Melissa into a new pair of boots fitted by Nick this season. I think new boots + new sticks = super happy wife.

Glenn

Well I did it, placed an order...$149.95 (skis.com) = will see how these do....
Melissa will be happy
Glenn will be happy
Steve is happy

;-)

I sense a group hug is in our future. :lol:

bigbog

...lol, well that's enough of the "forward lean" thread...lol, at least *hopefully* I will have the boots shopping done. Up here the sun, sky, temperature was sure perfect today.....but needed rain on the way. Spent it at a couple of my/our favorite ponds...chairs, sandwiches and drinks in cooler. Drove by a few smaller streams where early-Spring paddling outings are a blast....but are bone dry.....just breaks one's heart to see it. Two summers of something besides very little rain....groundwater table dropping!/ground rising a little..?(ie planet is still warming since last ice age, not gradually...but by fits & starts..?)
Typical Maine pond, lots of water connecting with tons of wetland...except for times of drought(like this year) = the opposite end of altitude spectrum from NH Whites/VT Greens...
A little brook & spring(mainly)-fed pond NE of Moosehead by ~20mi, and just off of BigSpencer Mtn's NE end. Used to be staffed fire tower 3/4 way up in image #1.
Most of pond is under 8' in depth except for deepest(~12') stretch out in middle. Rocky and muddy bottom with weeds and springholes. A walk along the shoreline path yields someone's beaten up, POS, canoe...left without much fear of being ripped off...;-)
It's great to get to spots where you only hear the wind, a few animals and maybe insects all afternoon...while maybe watching a USAF jet or two leave its trail without any noise.
*Am always interested how pics of Spencer Mtn from this, its end view, always seems to crunch the mountain down a bit...most likely my lack of recognizing the needed settings.....and duplicating an image..lol. Oh well....signing off.

$.01

Last edited: