• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington is going to open before Sunday River this season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
When I skied Killington I thought that the North Ridge offering was ideal early season--a decent pod of relatively moderate pitched terrain that is great for early season skiers and riders that are out of shape from the summer. The lift can be an issue though when it gets crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

There is a big difference in latitude too. Killington is a whole lot further south.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Understood. I don't think it's a huge factor. And I think the additional elevation at Killington somewhat offsets it's more southern location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I definitely agree with you on wishing there was a better early season trail. I'm not sure Superstar is the answer due to it's pitch more so than it's elevation. I agree the North Ridge trail offering sucks compared to the old days off the K Double.

I usually start my season at Sunday River because T2 is a better trail than anything off North Ridge. They also seem to get Upper and Lower Sunday Punch going very quickly after the season starts.

machski

I skied early season off the old K double. Honestly, except for the easier access back down, I don't think the mid station gave any better terrain than the North Ridge pod. The stairs are not all that bad, good pre season fitness!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
To each their own, but IMO Upper Cascade is a far better trail than Rime. Longer, more vertical, better pitch. I commend K for putting the stairwell and going for it early season though. End of the day, I think everyone would rather have the K1 over the old double.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You think most people would rather a 15 minute long double chair ride with mid-station over an 8 minute gondola ride?

...........ya, no.

Killington ain't Smuggs

steamboat1

You think most people would rather a 15 minute long double chair ride with mid-station over an 8 minute gondola ride?

...........ya, no.

Killington ain't Smuggs
You said everyone not most people. In an ideal world they'd have this HSQ mid-station..

attachment.php

Attachments

• massif5.jpg
    massif5.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 221

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not going to get into why a mid-station HSQ wouldn't work for that lift even though it's completely obvious with today's Killington.

No one (except for an idiot) misses the old 15 minute K double over the K1 Gondola outside of how great that chair was for early and late season skiing purposes.

steamboat1

I'm not going to get into why a mid-station HSQ wouldn't work for that lift even though it's completely obvious with today's Killington.

No one (except for an idiot) misses the old 15 minute K double over the K1 Gondola outside of how great that chair was for early and late season skiing purposes.
I guess you just called me an idiot. Truce over & it's not because of anything I said. I'll call you out on every dip-shit remark you make from now on (believe me you make plenty).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess you just called me an idiot. Truce over & it's not because of anything I said. I'll call you out on every dip-shit remark you make from now on (believe me you make plenty).

Quoted for posterity. Troll away steamboat because that's what seems to give you great pleasure regarding me. I know you can't help yourself. I'll stand by my prior suggestion. Let's just not converse. You're the one who engaged me here, not the opposite.

Savemeasammy

To each their own, but IMO Upper Cascade is a far better trail than Rime. Longer, more vertical, better pitch. I commend K for putting the stairwell and going for it early season though. End of the day, I think everyone would rather have the K1 over the old double.

Agree. The stairwell is a good thing for early season, but it sounds like it doesn't have broad appeal, so I wonder if they are losing many skier visits?

I would have preferred a HSQ instead of the gondola. I would ski off the peak more often.

You said everyone not most people. In an ideal world they'd have this HSQ mid-station..

attachment.php

I wondered if there was such a thing as a HSQ mid station....

One of these days I would like to ride on a lift with you two. I'd want to be on the side though, just in case it got ugly...! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Agree. The stairwell is a good thing for early season, but it sounds like it doesn't have broad appeal, so I wonder if they are losing many skier visits?

I would have preferred a HSQ instead of the gondola. I would ski off the peak more often.

I wondered if there was such a thing as a HSQ mid station....

Yes, there is. Alta's Collins lift is a HSQ with a mid-station.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

WWF-VT

I doubt they lose many skier visits because of a stairwell that you take once or twice a day when Killington is the only open mountain.

JimG.

Staff member
I liked the old double chair myself. The download was always fun especially if there was still some Fall color.

The terrain was better too, but not by much. The North Ridge pod is better once they open Lower East Fall.

Not like I'm going to miss out on going as early as possible either way.

dlague

I doubt they lose many skier visits because of a stairwell that you take once or twice a day when Killington is the only open mountain.

We have skied early season with only the north ridge triple running besides the gondola that gets you up there. The steps are really not that bad and the vibe is really good but I do not find the offering to be anything great since there are a wide range of skiing abilities that crowd short trails. Especially the two trails that go directly to the lift. The lift line kind of sucks too. I have wait he 20-30 minutes in line. Call me impatient but by waiting for a week or two I have a little better time.

If you goal is to get out first then that offering is great been there done that - I am over it. To those who do it , have fun! I may be there.

Who opens first is no big deal IMO. Many banter as if arguing over which team is better - pretty funny! Once the second mountain opens and then the third, who opens first is forgotten for the most part!