• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's up with Maple Valley?

Molsonatslu

Season passes for the local dirtbags can make up a snowmaking budget.

As somone who grew up in Dummerston and learned to ski at MV I find your characterization of the locals pretty offensive. Try to have a little respect for the people who make your vacation possible...

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Season passes for the local dirtbags can make up a snowmaking budget.

Yeah, what the heck is up with that? I live in Vermont, myself!

I thought that to add to the dram...as well as making the "follow-up" books no-brainahs,,,you'd be thinking about owning Diva..?

Uh, if I had the bucks, believe me, I would. BTW, the next Ski Diva Mystery, FADE TO WHITE, comes out January 4.

bobbutts

I have heard (rumor but from a reliable source) that it has been purchased by two Vermont snowboarding icon's to be turned into a park ala Whaleback. It is no longer listed on Granger's real estate site who had it for sale.

Whaleback has hardly been turned into a park. They do have a park and market to young new-school types, but 90% of the hill is the same as it ever was. The owner, Evan Dybvig was an Olympic mogul skier.

Glenn

Whoa...totaly missed the comment on "the locals". That's not the case. Everyone we've met out there has been really really really nice. The contractor neighbor went above and beyond with the job he did...even went back to the house to leave a key out for the cable co. Another neighbor cut up a tree of ours that fell over his driveway..then slit it and gave us the wood. We're only up there two or so days a week, but I feel I know those neighbors better than the ones we have in CT.

ctenidae

atlasmaplevalley.jpg

ctenidae

I did some digging on my part. According to the town records, it's still owned by the guy my neighbor said owned it. I "think" he's owned it for a number of years.

As I recall, the guy owns a horse farm nearby, too that his daughter runs. His two sons live in Florida and do real estate development (or did 3-4 years ago). Looked back then like they were rationalizing dad's estate and selling off as many pieces as they could.

Glenn

As I recall, the guy owns a horse farm nearby, too that his daughter runs. His two sons live in Florida and do real estate development (or did 3-4 years ago). Looked back then like they were rationalizing dad's estate and selling off as many pieces as they could.

Yep...there is a horse farm. The same neighbor and I were talking about ATVing and he mentioned the horse farm being owned by the Maple Valley guy. Maybe it's in his daughter's name. I didn't see any other property under the Maple Valley last name in the town records.

Glenn

Sweet pic! And nice bike! I love how those sound; wonderful engineering.

Glenn

We've driven by Maple Valley these past two weekends. It looks like the lodge has been repainted/touched up. Also, the sign in front of the lodge looks touched up. It looks like they've painted the lower drive units (bull wheel ect) and the first tower of each chairlift. Also, they've mowed the lower portion of the ski trails.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So I drove past MV on the way home from Magic.
Here are some pics. Suffice to say whoever painted the lift bases wasn't interested in quality. They spray painted as far as they could reach, and got it on the sheaves and the haul rope, not something one would normally do.
The lift itself looked like it would never pass inspection, something I heard from others today.

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nice pics Bill.

It's getting pretty grown in as well.

The liftline is grown in quite heavily. The ski-able base area was recently mowed as was previously reported. The online for-sale ad is no longer operating, but all the "sprucing up" hints at prettying the window dressing for a sale.