• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's up with Maple Valley?

Newpylong

New Low-E guns come with a steep price tag. For a fraction of the cost a small hill can buy older used equipment and get by until they get their feet under them.

If the snowmaking infrastructure has not been vandalized or suffered extensive freeze damage it's possible much is salvageable. Steel snowmaking pipe wears more from use rather than sitting there (the walls get thin and eventually fail from water flowing inside). But yeah, there likely is nothing fully functional about it without some work after being dormant. Also 800 GPM is not much volume for a 1,000 foot vertical hill.

Last edited:

tumbler

Everything there runs off diesel generators, lifts and snowmaking system. I could see it functioning as a night skiing and local schools hill. The ad has had the same bizzare language for years but never had a price stated. As a straight real estate deal ~ $2,500/acre is not too bad.

drjeff

The reality is that Maple Valley may have more potential with the installation of some summer operations items than as a functioning winter ski area.. There's already a sizable number of people who go to that immediate area in the summer to swim/tube/frolic in the West River, so building off that would be likely a much easier starting point than trying to get some of the Mount Snow/Stratton/Bromley/Magic crowd to pull off Route 30 on their way to other ski areas. Additionally, the reality is that there's just not enough of a population base in the immediate area to make night skiing an economically viable option either IMHO....

Get some zip lines, maybe install some of that year round synthetic ski/rideable carpet for a novelty terrain park set up, maybe a mountain coaster and then see if one can get approval for a windmill or a much needed on that stretch of route 30, cell tower set up for additional, stable, year round income.

Glenn

It's been for sale for a number of years now. It would be great if someone would buy it and start bringing it back. The town has thrown up a few roadblocks. The current owners came with a number of off season ideas, and the town balked at many of them. Plus, some of the abutting property owners aren't keen on the area opening up again due to noise.

VTKilarney

I think that Jamaica Man and Do Work need to expand their empire.

I can see it now, the "Magic Maple Pass."

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's too bad that it has sat unused for so long. I think that will be a hard one to bring back.

JamaicaMan

I think that Jamaica Man and Do Work need to expand their empire.

I can see it now, the "Magic Maple Pass."

Uh no. We are not into empire building. Just plain old building right now. But we are here to talk and help MV as need be since we'd be SoVT neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

It's too bad that it has sat unused for so long. I think that will be a hard one to bring back.

A lot of trails are getting overgrown. And one has some pretty bad washouts from heavy rains. The snowmaking system is missing pipes in sections. I'm sure it could be brought back, but it will need some updating.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A lot of trails are getting overgrown. And one has some pretty bad washouts from heavy rains. The snowmaking system is missing pipes in sections. I'm sure it could be brought back, but it will need some updating.

I imagine that the lifts are shot.

drjeff

I imagine that the lifts are shot.

If Magic can resurrect the Green, then I'd bet that with a bunch of $$ and work that the lifts at MV could be brought back to life for less $$ than a new installation.

When I drove by them on my way home to CT this past Sunday, on the outside at least they still look intact - no clue as to the status of the drive motors, the sheaves, the haul rope, etc...... 100% not likely to be just a "flip the on switch" and pass inspection type of things I'd guess.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
If Magic can resurrect the Green, then I'd bet that with a bunch of $$ and work that the lifts at MV could be brought back to life for less $$ than a new installation.

When I drove by them on my way home to CT this past Sunday, on the outside at least they still look intact - no clue as to the status of the drive motors, the sheaves, the haul rope, etc...... 100% not likely to be just a "flip the on switch" and pass inspection type of things I'd guess.....

Yes, does anyone know the status? Photos I have seen show trees growing up around them and chairs still hanging.

Glenn

My wife and I hiked it within the last year or so. The liftline for the North Chair had been trimmed somewhat. I know they did run that lift and possibly test the haul rope. The South Chair is much more overgrown. But that's been run as well. Can't say how much. But some chairs had moved at some point.

The lodge is still neat and tidy inside based on what you can see through the doors. They had a party/event there a few years back. I think it was some type of New Years Eve party or concert.

I may have said it before, so sorry if it's redundant. A lot of locals have fond memories of the area. It was a great place to learn to ski and may schools had their after school ski events there. Who knows, maybe it could reopen in a limited capacity; weekends only...certain school nights only.

dlague

Look at what they did with the lifts at Tenney.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

MV has been closed since 99/00 season. The two chairs were installed in 63 and 64. I find it hard to believe that those lifts can be economically brought back to life under current lift safety standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk