• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lets talk about Summer Grilling

deadheadskier

Staff member
and once or twice a year mrs snowbunski does a kick ass paella on the grill!

Does the smoke from the charcoal add a lot to it? I would never think to do Paella on the grill as it's made in a pan.

That actually might be pretty darn great out of the Orion. Drop the whole Cast Iron Skillet down in there.

gorgonzola

Does the smoke from the charcoal add a lot to it? I would never think to do Paella on the grill as it's made in a pan.

That actually might be pretty darn great out of the Orion. Drop the whole Cast Iron Skillet down in there.

in reality, probably not alot - its done on the gas grill :oops: i gave away the weber charcoal dome years ago after kids. it's more the social thing of hanging and drinking on the patio while it cooks!

Trekchick

Trek, the Orion is one totally awesme cooking machine! And pretty much as long as you don't fall asleep/pass out ;) while the meat is in the cyclinder cooking, you it's pretty much impossible to screw things up if you cook it to th reccomended times. And if anything the total simplicity of cooking in the orion makes one want to try new woods too smoke with/seasonings/etc! :) Plus, it getting close to the time of the year when Home Depot puts their left over stock of Orions on sale fore about $100 :)

Maybe I can ask for an Orion for a house warming gift when I move in the fall. :-D

bigbog

I've done corn on the cob a lot! Its always great.

Geoff, how do you do your fish on the grill? I usually use a plank(Cherry is nice)

Corn on the cob, on the grill is terrific. Trout: baked, native, insect feeders...:spread: I don't keep but a few these days..but throwing them on the grill seems natural...

Last edited:

drjeff

i'm in the market for an Orion...let me know if you see any deals..

Just take a walk through the grill section of Home Depot. They usually have a few of them left, and when they're priced within $10 either side of $100 that's when they've usually hit the cheapest that HD lets them go for

HD333

I paid 39 bucks, if i remember correctly, for mine at Home depot last year. It was up on the top of the shelves above the grills. Nobody knew what it was.

Last edited:

ctenidae

I paid 39 bucks, if i remember correctly, for mine at Home depot last year. It was up on the top of the shelves above the grills. Nobody know what it was.

Me, too, I think. They had a stack in the front of the store, where they pile all the dent-and-scratch leftover goods. Should have bought all 6-7 of them, at that price.

Only real complaint I have is that they're kind of charcoal-intensive if you're only doing food for 2. It's a minor complaint, to be sure.

SKIQUATTRO

not that its an issue, just wondering if you have to keep adding charcoal during the cooking process

drjeff

not that its an issue, just wondering if you have to keep adding charcoal during the cooking process

Generally not, unless you're looking to say smoke up a big brisket where the cooking time might be 5 or 6 hours (RootDKJ might be able to chime in a bit more on this one as I know he's done some long cook time meats in his Orion). But with the heat that is generated in that cooking vessel, most cuts of most meats are done in 2 hours tops, and cooking time starts from when the cooking vessel is loaded with meat and you light the charcoal, so you don't loose that say 15-20 minutes of charcoal cooking time that you see with a grill waiting for the coals to reach cooking temperature.

FYI, the thing I found that makes lighting the Orion much easier, since you need to light about a 30" diameter outer lower ring of charcoal and then a second small 6" or so upper charcoal area, is to use one of those small, hand held propane torches. Much quicker and easier IMHO than using either a hand held butane grill lighter or matches (especially if there's a little bit of a breeze blowing in your cooking area)