Bedbug worries?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedbug worries?

Bedbug worries?

They seem to be popping up more and more, e.g. just last week in the Empire State Building of all places. What with all the media attention, is it unrealistic to be concerned that you might pick up an unwanted "hitchhiker" during a business trip? Or even, dare I say, a ski trip, as these pests can survive up to a year waiting for their next blood meal, while living indoors, making them impervious to winter, unlike mosquitoes. From what I've heard, they're a b*tch to get rid of too. Does anyone take any prior precautions against them, like checking the bedsheets when you check in?

If you acquire these friends in your travels, you are in it deep.

http://www.bedbugsguide.com/

I check the sheets... And carry a silk sleep sack to protect me as well..
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    THAT'S what I needed to hear. Thank you.

My sister-in-law's husband brought them home from a business trip; she was the only one affected by them, and it took the doctors a very long time to diagnose it. (This was a couple of years ago...maybe now they'd figure it out faster.)

After her episode, I was with her on a trip and she insisted on checking all the beds, but didn't have a clear plan on what she'd do if she found them. Ask for another room? In the same hotel...? It didn't seem to make a lot of sense, but if the silk sack works...then we have a plan.
    ~ Marie
    "Decide what to be, and go be it."

Quote Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
    THAT'S what I needed to hear. Thank you.

My sister-in-law's husband brought them home from a business trip; she was the only one affected by them, and it took the doctors a very long time to diagnose it. (This was a couple of years ago...maybe now they'd figure it out faster.)

After her episode, I was with her on a trip and she insisted on checking all the beds, but didn't have a clear plan on what she'd do if she found them. Ask for another room? In the same hotel...? It didn't seem to make a lot of sense, but if the silk sack works...then we have a plan.
    So far so good... I bought it a few years ago after one of my co-workers came in from Sweden. He stayed in the same hotel as me in Stamford CT (Holiday Inn). I stay on the top floor because of my status... He's on one of the lower floors. Second day - he starts getting bite marks... uuuuug... bedbugs... I checked out immediately...

Turns out that floor is used by international aupairs that stay at the hotel before they go to their families they're working with...

I've used it all over the US and the world... again.. so far so good..
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

My sister-in-law was affected a couple years ago. Stayed at a high end hotel and brought them home. It was expensive eliminating them from the home after that. I don't sleep well away from home anyway but that was just one more thing to stress about. I checked very thoroughly when we went on vacation this year.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    A sleeping bag liner or something more roomy?
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    A sleeping bag liner or something more roomy?
    Way more roomy.. I have used it as a liner and to sleep in when it's hot out.. It's called a Dreamsack..

I also have small bottles of "Rest Easy" - it's bedbug spray - supposedly "green"... You can get it a drug stores. I used it in India and other countries. Spray the bed with it.. Because i don't think a Dreamsack will protect me 100%..
    Another thing I do is spray my suitcase before packing while traveling.. As well as unpack everything in the kitchen and doing laundry immediately when i get home..

I guess i have to start doing it on domestic trips now... sucks

Quote Originally Posted by severine View Post
    My sister-in-law was affected a couple years ago. Stayed at a high end hotel and brought them home. It was expensive eliminating them from the home after that. I don't sleep well away from home anyway but that was just one more thing to stress about. I checked very thoroughly when we went on vacation this year.
    Just out of curiosity...what would you have done if you had found them? Did you have the spray with you that DMC recommended? Now that I know about these remedies, I'll be sure to carry them; but prior to that I was just praying. ; - )
    ~ Marie
    "Decide what to be, and go be it."

Quote Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
    Just out of curiosity...what would you have done if you had found them? Did you have the spray with you that DMC recommended? Now that I know about these remedies, I'll be sure to carry them; but prior to that I was just praying. ; - )
    Demanded another room. That was about the only weapon in my arsenal for that trip. I meant to get the spray at the very least, but it would have been problematic getting it there since we only brought carry-on down and our liquids bags were full.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Thread Information