• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bedbug worries?

legalskier

They seem to be popping up more and more, e.g. just last week in the Empire State Building of all places. What with all the media attention, is it unrealistic to be concerned that you might pick up an unwanted "hitchhiker" during a business trip? Or even, dare I say, a ski trip, as these pests can survive up to a year waiting for their next blood meal, while living indoors, making them impervious to winter, unlike mosquitoes. From what I've heard, they're a b*tch to get rid of too. Does anyone take any prior precautions against them, like checking the bedsheets when you check in?

250px-Bed_bug%2C_Cimex_lectularius.jpg

images

dmc

I check the sheets... And carry a silk sleep sack to protect me as well..

WakeboardMom

I check the sheets... And carry a silk sleep sack to protect me as well..

THAT'S what I needed to hear. Thank you.

My sister-in-law's husband brought them home from a business trip; she was the only one affected by them, and it took the doctors a very long time to diagnose it. (This was a couple of years ago...maybe now they'd figure it out faster.)

After her episode, I was with her on a trip and she insisted on checking all the beds, but didn't have a clear plan on what she'd do if she found them. Ask for another room? In the same hotel...? It didn't seem to make a lot of sense, but if the silk sack works...then we have a plan.

dmc

THAT'S what I needed to hear. Thank you.

My sister-in-law's husband brought them home from a business trip; she was the only one affected by them, and it took the doctors a very long time to diagnose it. (This was a couple of years ago...maybe now they'd figure it out faster.)

After her episode, I was with her on a trip and she insisted on checking all the beds, but didn't have a clear plan on what she'd do if she found them. Ask for another room? In the same hotel...? It didn't seem to make a lot of sense, but if the silk sack works...then we have a plan.

So far so good... I bought it a few years ago after one of my co-workers came in from Sweden. He stayed in the same hotel as me in Stamford CT (Holiday Inn). I stay on the top floor because of my status... He's on one of the lower floors. Second day - he starts getting bite marks... uuuuug... bedbugs... I checked out immediately...

Turns out that floor is used by international aupairs that stay at the hotel before they go to their families they're working with...

I've used it all over the US and the world... again.. so far so good..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My sister-in-law was affected a couple years ago. Stayed at a high end hotel and brought them home. It was expensive eliminating them from the home after that. I don't sleep well away from home anyway but that was just one more thing to stress about. I checked very thoroughly when we went on vacation this year.

dmc

A sleeping bag liner or something more roomy?

Way more roomy.. I have used it as a liner and to sleep in when it's hot out.. It's called a Dreamsack..

I also have small bottles of "Rest Easy" - it's bedbug spray - supposedly "green"... You can get it a drug stores. I used it in India and other countries. Spray the bed with it.. Because i don't think a Dreamsack will protect me 100%..
Another thing I do is spray my suitcase before packing while traveling.. As well as unpack everything in the kitchen and doing laundry immediately when i get home..

I guess i have to start doing it on domestic trips now... sucks

WakeboardMom

My sister-in-law was affected a couple years ago. Stayed at a high end hotel and brought them home. It was expensive eliminating them from the home after that. I don't sleep well away from home anyway but that was just one more thing to stress about. I checked very thoroughly when we went on vacation this year.

Just out of curiosity...what would you have done if you had found them? Did you have the spray with you that DMC recommended? Now that I know about these remedies, I'll be sure to carry them; but prior to that I was just praying. ; - )

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Just out of curiosity...what would you have done if you had found them? Did you have the spray with you that DMC recommended? Now that I know about these remedies, I'll be sure to carry them; but prior to that I was just praying. ; - )

Demanded another room. That was about the only weapon in my arsenal for that trip. :oops: I meant to get the spray at the very least, but it would have been problematic getting it there since we only brought carry-on down and our liquids bags were full.

WakeboardMom

Demanded another room. That was about the only weapon in my arsenal for that trip. :oops: I meant to get the spray at the very least, but it would have been problematic getting it there since we only brought carry-on down and our liquids bags were full.

Yeah...when I was with my s-i-l and she was checking, I was thinking, we are totally SOL if she finds anything.

Black Phantom

Report: NYC, Philly, Detroit top bedbug list

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A leading pest control company has released a list of the 15 most bedbug-infested cities, and New York, Philadelphia and Detroit have scratched their way to the top.

Terminix released its report Tuesday, basing it on an analysis of call volume to the Memphis, Tenn.-based company's 350 service centers.

Bedbugs can be found in mattresses, furniture and clothing, and they feed off animal and human blood. Insect scientists say bedbugs are appearing on a scale not seen since before World War II. High-traffic areas such as hotels, airplanes and cruise ships are especially prone to infestations.

Ohio has three cities in the top 10 — Cincinnati is fourth, Columbus is seventh and Dayton is eighth.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Geoff

Way more roomy.. I have used it as a liner and to sleep in when it's hot out.. It's called a Dreamsack..

I also have small bottles of "Rest Easy" - it's bedbug spray - supposedly "green"... You can get it a drug stores. I used it in India and other countries. Spray the bed with it.. Because i don't think a Dreamsack will protect me 100%..
Another thing I do is spray my suitcase before packing while traveling.. As well as unpack everything in the kitchen and doing laundry immediately when i get home..

I guess i have to start doing it on domestic trips now... sucks

Aw crap. I do way too much business travel. Packing a "dreamsack" and bug spray is going to suck.

dmc

Aw crap. I do way too much business travel. Packing a "dreamsack" and bug spray is going to suck.

Yeah... no shti.. I just checked into my hotel in Columbus.. And checked everything..

drjeff

Well on the flipside, you could just itch and scratch and itch and scratch and get your daily dose of cardio in that way ;) :lol: