• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's that noise?

Glenn

It's 9:15PM on Sunday and we're heading back to CT. I pull into the Irving on Rt. 30 and the Jeep makes a really bad noise when I hit the brakes. Uh oh. I did a quick visual...everything looks OK. Gas up, head out. The noise has practically gone away by the time I hit the brakes again just north of Rt5. It was raining, so I figured some road grit from our road had made it's way between the pad and the rotor.

Monday after work, I took a closer look. The inboard side of the passenger front rotor was scored. Picked up new pads and new rotors.

Got the pads removed and figured out the cause of the noise:

IMG00063-20100824-1649.jpg

Found what was left of the pad once I pulled the caliper and the rotor:
IMG00067-20100824-1948.jpg

Best I can tell, the sliders had bound up and caused the pad to drag. I needed to use pliers to pull the sliders from the caliper. On the driver's side, I was able to pull the sliders out by hand.

Puck it

It's 9:15PM on Sunday and we're heading back to CT. I pull into the Irving on Rt. 30 and the Jeep makes a really bad noise when I hit the brakes. Uh oh. I did a quick visual...everything looks OK. Gas up, head out. The noise has practically gone away by the time I hit the brakes again just north of Rt5. It was raining, so I figured some road grit from our road had made it's way between the pad and the rotor.

Monday after work, I took a closer look. The inboard side of the passenger front rotor was scored. Picked up new pads and new rotors.

Best I can tell, the sliders had bound up and caused the pad to drag. I needed to use pliers to pull the sliders from the caliper. On the driver's side, I was able to pull the sliders out by hand.

I think you hit the wear sensor!!!!;-)

HD333

I suggest washing your hands before eating lunch.

2knees

how much do you charge to replace a timing belt and water pump? i'm looking for a good deal.

hammer

how much do you charge to replace a timing belt and water pump? i'm looking for a good deal.
I just paid a little under $900 to have a local mechanic do it, although I also had him change out the serpentine belts while he was at it...:-o

BTW, the rotors look like one on my car when I had a caliper seize on me. Sounded real bad for a few weeks while I waited to get the car in for service.

bvibert

Staff member

Does it have to work afterward?

Depending on the answer to that question I may be able to give you a good deal...

NYDrew

Depending on the answer to that question I may be able to give you a good deal...

I just paid $1200 to have that job done. It however also included rear brakes, new window regulator and a new thermostat.

2knees

I got a better idea, how much would you charge me to make the civic "disappear"......

Glenn

I started the job with a set of Mecanix gloves...but sometimes, even gloves like that are too bulky.

Yeah, Mrs Glenn wasn't too thrilled with those hands when I came in for dinner. :lol:

drjeff

I started the job with a set of Mecanix gloves...but sometimes, even gloves like that are too bulky.

Yeah, Mrs Glenn wasn't too thrilled with those hands when I came in for dinner. :lol:

I'm betting that even if those hands had an ice cold bottle of Pinot Grigio in them that you would have gotten "the look" :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
I just paid $1200 to have that job done. It however also included rear brakes, new window regulator and a new thermostat.

Mine should be done in the next year or two. Not looking forward to doing the job as I have to remove the whole front of the car to get access to the engine... :-?

Glenn

I'm betting that even if those hands had an ice cold bottle of Pinot Grigio in them that you would have gotten "the look" :lol:

I should take a pic of the door that goes into the garage...covered in finger prints.

bvibert

Staff member
I should take a pic of the door that goes into the garage...covered in finger prints.

I've left evidence behind on the white fridge handle after sneaking in for a beverage while working out in the garage...

drjeff

Probably not much different looking than the door to the bathroom at my house after the kids have just eaten some chocolate pudding :lol: