• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowy incline: Audi vs Hummer H1

Hawkshot99

A few problems with the vid. Those 2 hills look different. The Hummer hill looks much taller, and steeper. I could only see snow being thrown by the rear wheels on the Hummer(guessing it was only in 2-wheel drive). Listen to how the hummer is floored up the incline while the Audi is eased into it. It comes from a Audi Website, so it surely wont be pro-hummer......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now did the Audi go to the shop before or after the event? ;) I say that because my brother was an Audi owner and complained at how often his car was in the shop.

mondeo

A few problems with the vid. Those 2 hills look different. The Hummer hill looks much taller, and steeper. I could only see snow being thrown by the rear wheels on the Hummer(guessing it was only in 2-wheel drive). Listen to how the hummer is floored up the incline while the Audi is eased into it. It comes from a Audi Website, so it surely wont be pro-hummer......
Yeah, the HMMWV hill is about 4x the height of the HMMWV, the Audi hill is about 3x the height of the Audi. Also, the track of the Audi is as wide as the ruts it's in. Last I checked, the HMMWV's a little wider than an A4.

skiNEwhere

the only thing I'm debating is whether the audi went first, because there is more snow in the tracks, I'd say it's the same hill, then again I am biased

Audi's probably spend the same amount of time in the shop as the H1, I knew a guy who had one he compared it to "taking care of a baby gorilla"

deadheadskier

Staff member
Now did the Audi go to the shop before or after the event? ;) I say that because my brother was an Audi owner and complained at how often his car was in the shop.

I was an Audi owner for 1 year. Loved that car. Hated the shop. My brother was for 3 years and got out for the same reason. My brother in law also dropped huge coin into his as well. No longer drives one.

sweet cars for someone who makes well over 6 figures and doesn't put a lot of miles on their vehicles. I'm not that guy

legalskier

Not to mention that the sky sure cleared up fast by the time the Audi went up, i.e. the sun may have melted some of that ice for the Audi.

Last edited:

Glenn

I can't see the video at work. Audi's have a nice AWD system...lsd's front and rear and a t case that'll lock up when it detects slipage. I'd be curious to see what the Hummer had for a 4 wheel drive system. My Jeep has open diffs and unless I'm in part time 4wd or 4-lo, my t case is unlocked. The Jeep is actually a lot of fun in the snow with the t-case unlocked. I can really kick the rear end out. Doughnuts are a blast. If the Hummer has open diffs, it won't do well vs the Audi.

Aside from a "minor" engine issue, our Audi has been a good car.

bvibert

Staff member
I can't see the video at work. Audi's have a nice AWD system...lsd's front and rear and a t case that'll lock up when it detects slipage. I'd be curious to see what the Hummer had for a 4 wheel drive system. My Jeep has open diffs and unless I'm in part time 4wd or 4-lo, my t case is unlocked. The Jeep is actually a lot of fun in the snow with the t-case unlocked. I can really kick the rear end out. Doughnuts are a blast. If the Hummer has open diffs, it won't do well vs the Audi.

Aside from a "minor" engine issue, our Audi has been a good car.

I doubt that the Hummer has open diffs. This is an H1, not the newer Hummers based on Chevy chassis which I could see having open diffs. In the video you can clearly see rooster tails from both rear wheels, so that pretty much settles that. However, like Hawkshot pointed out, it looks like the Hummer is in 2 wheel drive for some reason. The rear wheels are spinning and kicking up dirt while the fronts are not. It's probably some dude just effing around trying to see if they could make it without 4 wheel drive.

As much as I am a fan of Audis I'd be really surprised if one could fairly effortlessly roll up an incline that an H1 was having trouble with. Being a military spec'd vehicle they were designed to drive over pretty much anything. As far as I know the civilian versions got pretty much the same chassis and drive-train as the military ones...

ctenidae

Notice the Hummer starts from a standstill at the beginning of the incline, and Audi has a good running start. Momentum beats traction most any day. On ice, anyway.

SKIQUATTRO

I'm an Audi owner (obviously),,,this is my 4th, never an issue, love em, hopefully will always have one...

questions on this vid: both are great snow machines...
-what tires were on each car
-what car when first (vids can be edited!)
-was the H in 4Low or 2 wd

Dont believe all you see....

mondeo

I doubt that the Hummer has open diffs. This is an H1, not the newer Hummers based on Chevy chassis which I could see having open diffs. In the video you can clearly see rooster tails from both rear wheels, so that pretty much settles that. However, like Hawkshot pointed out, it looks like the Hummer is in 2 wheel drive for some reason. The rear wheels are spinning and kicking up dirt while the fronts are not. It's probably some dude just effing around trying to see if they could make it without 4 wheel drive.

As much as I am a fan of Audis I'd be really surprised if one could fairly effortlessly roll up an incline that an H1 was having trouble with. Being a military spec'd vehicle they were designed to drive over pretty much anything. As far as I know the civilian versions got pretty much the same chassis and drive-train as the military ones...
I don't think that's even a H1. Looks more like a full-on HMMWV to me.

drjeff

I'm an Audi owner (obviously),,,this is my 4th, never an issue, love em, hopefully will always have one...

questions on this vid: both are great snow machines...
-what tires were on each car
-what car when first (vids can be edited!)
-was the H in 4Low or 2 wd

Dont believe all you see....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

What he said (except my family is only on our 3rd Audi :) )

bvibert

Staff member
I don't think that's even a H1. Looks more like a full-on HMMWV to me.

It's hard to tell from the video, but it could be. Seems unlikely that a military version would be out just screwing around somewhere though. Maybe it's changed, but the last I heard it was pretty hard to get one's hands on one.

Either way, it's a really capable machine...

drjeff

It's hard to tell from the video, but it could be. Seems unlikely that a military version would be out just screwing around somewhere though. Maybe it's changed, but the last I heard it was pretty hard to get one's hands on one.

Either way, it's a really capable machine...

The guy that owns about a half dozen of the Dunkin Donuts in my area has a H1 all painted up with Dunkin Donuts labeling that he parks infront of one of his stores when he's not driving his Maserati Gran Turismo :eek:

The coffee and donut business ain't too shabby these days I guess ;)

Glenn

I made a big assumption because youtube is blocked at work. The only part of the video I can "sorta" see is the white box that shows up in place of the little youtube player that I'll see at home. :lol:

An H1 Hummer should have done fine. That's a burly vehicle.

Puck it

The Hummer probably AT or Mud tire which do not work well in snow due to the lack sipes. Audi probably has all seasons or snow with sipes.

gmcunni

its obvious to me .. you can plainly see in the video that the hummer has a limited slip front differential and positraction rear suspention which had been removed from a 69 skylark. Also, the tread pattern on the tires indicates an inefficient calibration of the front brake pads and the wheel alignment is most definitely 12 degrees too advanced.

meanwhile the audi shows tell tail signs of after market modification by a trained mechanics, probably Hans and Franz Müller who operate a small shop outside Neckarsulm, Germany.