• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bob Dylan sticks it to Ticketmaster

legalskier

You imply the you have to sing to be a musician - I strongly disagree. He writes great songs .

+1
Just think of how many people there are with beautiful voices but are still practicing up in the attic wondering why they haven't gotten anywhere.

ctenidae

He's no rock star and he is a musician. You imply the you have to sing to be a musician - I strongly disagree. He writes great songs - can play guitar and puts together some epic bands..

Agree. It's just his performance that has slipped over the past few decades.

dmc

Incedible, isn't it?
And really, what musician wouldn't jump at the chance to play with him, even just once?

I would... but I'm not a musician.. I'm a drummer... haha...

dmc

Right- you don't sing.

You need a t-shiirt: Percussionists are musicians, too.

Good one!

I get stuck singing a lot... It actually amazes people.. I can use my limbs independently AND sing a melody.. :) I'm not Dylan - but I can belt out a tune when required.. ha...ha.. Pretty funny when you consider I'm dyslexic..

bvibert

Staff member
Ha. Nice try playing dumb but everyone knows Dylan is the most over rated rock star* of the 20th century. Even deaf people know that. :blink:

:smash:

*I was about to type "musician" but I couldn't bring myself to do it until he gets some voice lessons.

I was being somewhat serious. I've heard of him, but I couldn't tell you one thing he's done, what kind of music he plays, etc.. Before this thread I couldn't have even told you if he was dead or alive.

I'm just not that into music. I like listening to some of it, but I just can't seem to really care about who is performing it for the most part. It's a miracle if I can tell you what bands perform the songs I listen to a lot, but there's virtually no chance that I'll be able to tell you who is in a particular band or any of it's history. I mean what does it really matter? As long as I like the music what difference does it make to me who sings it?

ctenidae

Good one!

I get stuck singing a lot... It actually amazes people.. I can use my limbs independently AND sing a melody.. :) I'm not Dylan - but I can belt out a tune when required.. ha...ha.. Pretty funny when you consider I'm dyslexic..

so, you're like Phil Collins?

/couldn't resist.

dmc

I was being somewhat serious. I've heard of him, but I couldn't tell you one thing he's done, what kind of music he plays, etc.. Before this thread I couldn't have even told you if he was dead or alive.

I'm just not that into music. I like listening to some of it, but I just can't seem to really care about who is performing it for the most part. It's a miracle if I can tell you what bands perform the songs I listen to a lot, but there's virtually no chance that I'll be able to tell you who is in a particular band or any of it's history. I mean what does it really matter? As long as I like the music what difference does it make to me who sings it?

Music means different things to different people..

Chances are your hearing Dylan as an inspiration to the artists you like...
I hear Dylan influence in a lot of song writers..

dmc

so, you're like Phil Collins?

/couldn't resist.

Bleeech... Only when he was the drummer for Genesis with Peter Gabriel..
Some of his solo stuff is tollerable

He's actually a friggin great drummer...

Black Phantom

funny_huh_hat-p148657342468144391qz14_400.jpg

legalskier

I've heard of him, but I couldn't tell you one thing he's done, what kind of music he plays, etc.. Before this thread I couldn't have even told you if he was dead or alive.
I mean what does it really matter?

Well, with Dylan it was always more than his music. He influenced an entire generation, and beyond:

Much of his most celebrated work dates from the 1960s when he was at first an informal chronicler, and later an apparently reluctant figurehead of social unrest. A number of his songs such as "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times They Are A-Changin'" became anthems for the civil rights and anti-war movements. His early lyrics incorporated a variety of political, social and philosophical, as well as literary influences. They defied existing pop music conventions and appealed hugely to the then burgeoning counterculture.... Dylan has both amplified and personalized musical genres, exploring numerous distinct traditions in American song—from folk, blues and country to gospel, rock and roll, and rockabilly, to English, Scottish, and Irish folk music, embracing even jazz and swing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sometimes the awkwardness of the vocal adds to the words. It may be a bit deeper then you'd like to get with your music but to me it's works..
Alice in Chains is one of my favorite bands. Layne Staley sure didn't have perfect pitch so I can appreciate vocals that are not completely musically on key. Interestingly enough, one of my biggest issues with pop music this day is its lack of pitch imperfections (at least not intentional imperfections). But Dylan man, just hurts my ears. Its all good. And I can appreciate "deep". Its more about tastes.

@Bill: I can appreciate song writers. I meant my comments more in regards to rock songwriters that also perform, not songwriters that write for others. I dig show tunes just as much as the next guy... but that isn't really on the topic I was referring to.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Shame on the people that overrate him.. And the people that buy into it so they can turn around and diss him..

He's no rock star and he is a musician. You imply the you have to sing to be a musician - I strongly disagree. He writes great songs - can play guitar and puts together some epic bands..

You should stick to disagreeing with people about something you know about... Wahtever that is..
Wow, dude. Most over serious reply to a joke.

Really? C'mon, you are being a little ridiculous here. Sorry, you are not the only one entitled to your opinion and to your right to share it with others online. But what do I know.....

roark

Dylan is a genius. There are less than a handful of artists where i can still discover new (to me) tunes after listening for 20+ yrs. Dylan is one. Finally getting around to the born-again period... as much as I hate the message there's still some brilliant music!

dmc

Wow, dude. Most over serious reply to a joke.

Really? C'mon, you are being a little ridiculous here. Sorry, you are not the only one entitled to your opinion and to your right to share it with others online. But what do I know.....

You gotta get better with smileys and stuff..

Hey - I love Dylan.. It's my opinion. And I want other people to love him so his legacy lives on. He's near to my heart.. so there... :)