• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bedtime Story: 1-in-4 Grown Men Travel With a Stuffed Animal

Black Phantom

What type of little guy is DMC traveling with?

This guy highlighted in the story might be a little light in the slippers.

Teddy Bears, Stuffed Dogs and Other Animals Are Packed in Businessman's Suitcases

When Scott Hardy hits the road, he always makes sure to leave room in his suitcase for his stuffed animal.

As many as one in every four grown men have a teddy bear or other stuffed animal tucked away in their suitcase, according to a new study. Scott Hardy, 34, is one of them, traveling with Barkley, a stuffed beagle his wife gave him when they were dating. Collapse
(Courtesy Scott Hardy)
More Photos

That's right, the 34-year-old businessman always travels with Barkley, a stuffed beagle. No, it's not for his two daughters. No he doesn't sleep with a nightlight and no he isn't smuggling drugs.

Seven years ago Hardy's then girlfriend, now wife, gave him the doggie as a reminder of her.

"I travel enough that it's a nice reminder of home," said Hardy who runs an online legal notice company, Top Class Actions.

Housekeepers like to put it on top of his pillow or prop it up prominently on the night stand.

Even when Hardy travels on an annual guys trip -- a beach trip to Mexico this year -- Barkley comes along.

"I've had some friends who are like, 'What's with the stuffed animal?'" the Phoenix-area man said. "It's just a reminder of my beautiful bride."

"Barkley stays in the suitcase when I'm home," Hardy added. "He only comes out for trips."

Hardy isn't the only adult traveling with a stuffed animal. In fact, as many as one in every four grown men might just have a teddy bear tucked away in their suitcase.

How do we know this?

Well, in the last 12 months, British hotel chain Travelodge has reunited more than 75,000 bears with the owners. That's a lot of stuffed animals left at its 452 hotels in the United Kingdom and Spain. So the company decided to investigate a bit further.

Travelodge surveyed 6,000 Britons and discovered that 35 percent of adults admitted they sleep with their teddy because they found cuddling their bear comforting. Additionally, many said the calming feeling of a bear hug helped them lower their stress level after a hard day.

And it turns out that a large number of the bear-toting travelers are men.

Travelodge said that 25 percent of men reported they take their teddy bear away with them when going away on business. The stuffed animal supposedly reminds them of home and -- some say -- helps fill a cuddle-void left by distant partners.

drjeff

Since we all know this thread will be going here :rolleyes:

inflatable-woman-100.jpg

ctenidae

"As many as one in every four grown men have a teddy bear or other stuffed animal tucked away in their suitcase, according to a new study"

"Well, in the last 12 months, British hotel chain Travelodge has reunited more than 75,000 bears with the owners. That's a lot of stuffed animals left at its 452 hotels in the United Kingdom and Spain. So the company decided to investigate a bit further."

1 in 4 men is either British or Spanish, then?

drjeff

"As many as one in every four grown men have a teddy bear or other stuffed animal tucked away in their suitcase, according to a new study"

"Well, in the last 12 months, British hotel chain Travelodge has reunited more than 75,000 bears with the owners. That's a lot of stuffed animals left at its 452 hotels in the United Kingdom and Spain. So the company decided to investigate a bit further."

1 in 4 men is either British or Spanish, then?

the most common thing I bet the hotel hears when the inquiry call is made..... "I was wondering if you happened to find a teddy bear in room XX, I bought it for my kids and forgot to pack it" :rolleyes: The reply is probably something like ...... "Well yes Mr. Y, house keeping did find a bear in room XX, way under the covers of the bed, a bit tattered, and some of its fur had something on it....." :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

Black Phantom

the most common thing I bet the hotel hears when the inquiry call is made..... "I was wondering if you happened to find a teddy bear in room XX, I bought it for my kids and forgot to pack it" :rolleyes: The reply is probably something like ...... "Well yes Mr. Y, house keeping did find a bear in room XX, way under the covers of the bed, a bit tattered, and some of its fur had something on it....." :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

You are a sick man

3396_Orangutan.jpg