• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 4/4 - 4/5 Storm Discussion Thread

meat

Guy on the channel five (plattsburg) news tonight said low pressure is supposed to develop off the coast tuesday and rain turning to snow by tuesday evening with the potential of HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS by wednesday in the higher elevations.
also NWS just put out a special statement this evening talking about heavy snow in the adirondacks and central and northern green mnts tuesday night into wednesday!

sounds like some good potential. the way this season is going I wouldn't be surprised to see some wacky late season snows, especially since it was 70 the other day.

anybody have any ideas on whats gonna happen with this one?

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
Tuesday when the rain will turn to snow and we’ll have periods of snow & flurries Tuesday through Wednesday night - some calling for as much as 6-12" of snow. Watch this space for updates.

From the Jay Peak Conditions page. For what it's worth. (which probably isn't that much). (but just seeing the word snow makes me smile)

skibum1321

We could use some heavy wet snow to add to the base a little bit. I still wouldn't call Jay a destination if this comes - they lost a ton of snow and trails this weekend. Even up there, the base is getting pretty thin.

highpeaksdrifter

meat said:
HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS by wednesday in the higher elevations.
also NWS just put out a special statement this evening talking about heavy snow in the adirondacks and central and northern green mnts tuesday night into wednesday!
Man I hope he's right. It was beautiful spring conditions at Whiteface on Sunday, but more snow and cooler temps might help us hang on a little longer. Keeping my fingers crossed.

highpeaksdrifter

I copied this from weatherchannel.com

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING.

WIDESPREAD RAINFALL TONIGHT...WILL MIX WITH AND CHANGE TO SNOW BY THE EARLY TO MID AFTERNOON HOURS ON TUESDAY. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...BEFORE SLOWLY TAPERING OFF WEDNESDAY NIGHT. SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF GREATER THAN 6 INCHES IS POSSIBLE DURING THIS PERIOD.

SKIQUATTRO

I hope so,,,,will be driving North Sat afternoon from LI with a buddy to ski Sunday for the last day of the season,,,we'll go anywhere: Stowe, Jay, WF, where ever there is snow..we'll just pick a destination, grab a room and ski!! pray for snow

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Latest Update:

Winter Storm Warning

/O.UPG.KBTV.WS.A.0004.060404T2000Z- 060406T1200Z/ /O.NEW.KBTV.WS.W. 0002.060404T1500Z-060406T0000Z/ ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON... STOWE... MONTPELIER...ENOSBURG FALLS... RICHFORD...UNDERHILL 440 PM EDT MON APR 3 2006
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TUESDAY TO 8 PM EDT WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TUESDAY TO 8 PM EDT WEDNESDAY FOR THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT.

r*in TONIGHT WILL MIX WITH AND CHANGE TO SNOW BY MID AFTERNOON ON TUESDAY. THE SNOW COULD BE HEAVY AT TIMES TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT...BEFORE TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS ON WEDNESDAY. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 14 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN ABOVE 1000 FEET.

loafer89

Sugarloaf looks like they may do well with this storm with 12"+ a definite possibility. It is looking good for Regaee weekend with snow/snowshowers forecast for most of this week. Packed powder conditions will probably be likely especially higher up on the mountain this weekend.

My trip up there for Easter is now looking likely:spin: :cool: 8)

meat

Johnskiismore said:
SNOW.... oh please, please, pleeeeaassee!

Especially since this week I am on vacation! Jay Peak will be a destination if this comes!

well this one seems more and more promising, I'm starting to feel like a kid in a candy store again. I skied today for the first time since friday, and I had a good day, nice corn harvesting to be had, nobody around. hopefully we will have serious pow slay on wednesday!

the mountain held up well considering 70 degrees one day and rain the next. I skied primarily natural snow trails today, it was where the best snow was and I wanted to do some recon for the up and coming event. definatly some bare spots on the mountain but most of them were below 2500'. you could still navigate through anything, even looking at some of the closed trails (bon glade, show off glade, lift line, lower pow line, lower milk) you could still pick and choose your way down and not hit any exposed earth. Valhalla was surprisingly nice and derick hot shot was excellent too, definatly more cover the higher you go.

the worst part was lower down on the mountain which required some walking from the bon chair to the jet chair, that little cross over and areas around the chairs were looking pretty ugly. I also had to take my skis off once in the woods to cross and open stream past timbuktu, I also wouldn't recomend skiing that last steep pitch in the dip down to the road, mostly bare. I have a feeling wednesday will be great with big pow and not many people. its time to get PUMPED up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i just requested thursday off, jay is definitely on the radar. friday is off too, freaking schweeeet. so much less competition for the goods this time of year!!!!! pay no attention to my other thread wondering why people packing it up early! nope! nothing to see here! get out those bikes!!!

awf170

riverc0il said:
i just requested thursday off, jay is definitely on the radar. friday is off too, freaking schweeeet. so much less competition for the goods this time of year!!!!! pay no attention to my other thread wondering why people packing it up early! nope! nothing to see here! get out those bikes!!!

Give it up Steve. Wildcat is going to win out.:wink:
http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=91053

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
we shall see! i would rather ski jay than the kitty after a dump unless it was significantly in favor of the cat. though the wx forum you linked to mentioned big george getting nailed, wildcat's lower elevation will likely have more mixing than the top of washington. we'll see how it pans out.

awf170

riverc0il said:
we shall see! i would rather ski jay than the kitty after a dump unless it was significantly in favor of the cat. though the wx forum you linked to mentioned big george getting nailed, wildcat's lower elevation will likely have more mixing than the top of washington. we'll see how it pans out.
Yeah I would defiantly rather ski jay thursday, but the odds of my dad doing a midweek day trip to Jay of pretty slim(I really can't blame him though). So hopefully I will be at Wildcat wednesday.

loafer89

Our weather forecast is calling for snowshowers tomorrow night, with a coating possible:-o at the coast.

It just starting raining a cold rain (44F) and I put on the fireplace. Hopefully the mountains get buried in the next few days. I am off to Miami for a business trip this weekend, but look forward to Easter skiing which I hope will beneft from the new snow.

awf170

riverc0il said:
austin, are you on vacation or is this another example of you having the coolest dad ever?

Coolest dad. I didn't have school though last friday when I went up Tux. But this week I don't have any days off but he'll probably let me skip a day if it dumps.

awf170

meat said:
does wildcat have anykind of a natural base? if not Jay will be better as usual, no matter what happens.
Probably a little bit above 3,000. Below that pretty much nothing. And I know Jay will be better. But if Wildcat gets a foot and a half of Sierra cement than everything will be skiable anyway.(well actually O.B. wont because the rivers are already running:sad:)