• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will the Red Sox make the playoffs?

Will the Red Sox make the playoffs?

• Yes, They'll win the division

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Yes, They'll win the wild card

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 90.6%

• Total voters

skiNEwhere

As die hard of a fan I am, things are looking pretty pessimistic, especially the way last nights extra inning loss went. I just don't see us having strong enough bullpen along with starting lineup (ellsbury, petty, youk hurting) to win enough games in a row to make a dent in the AL East or wild card

Thoughts?

deadheadskier

Staff member
had they addressed the Bullpen at some point.......maybe.

I call this the 'lost season'. Far too many injuries to key personnel to be serious WS contenders.

drjeff

As much as it hurts me as a lifelong sox fan to vote this way, I have to say no. Just way too many injuries. But on the flipside, given how beat up they are (and have been for such a long amount of time) the fact that they're still in the hunt for a playoff birth at the end of August with injuries they've had is impressive!

Geoff

It's not the injuries. They've had plenty of offense. The bullpen is lousy. If you remove the blown saves, they'd be in first place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
injuries don't just hurt offense though. Ellsbury, Cameron, Drew might've been the best defensive outfield in baseball. Youk is a gold glove first baseman, Pedroia Gold Glove at second.

Even with the lousy bullpen, if that defense is on the field, I still think they'd be right there with the Yankees and Rays.

tjf67

I would love nothing more than the SUX to go down the drain but I dont think it has happened. Lot of BB left. They could use a little support from there fair weather fan!!

WJenness

After last night... I think they're done.

"There's always next year..."

As for now... GO PATS!

-w

Last edited:

Mapnut

It's a pity all you Sox fans aren't in a position to enjoy the best pennant race in years!

Of course that's what eliminates any possibility of the wild card.

skiNEwhere

Dice K, Lackey, and Drew need to get the boot to open up some $$ for the bullpen and the offence for next year

Sky

The Sox had some tough health issues...and they've done well with a Tripple A+ squad. Papi had a really tough start. (REALLY TOUGH). But with Pedroia and Ellsbury out...Cameron...Youkilis...and the others who "were" out for extended periods....I think they've done well enough.

The Rays and Yankees are playing well. The Rays didn't implode wih BJ Upton's issues earlier...and both teams have also survived their health issues.

The rest of the AL runner's up for the Wild Card are (last I checked)...not a threat.

Meh....tough season. Still a Sox fan. Glad we still have Mike Lowell for the rest of this year. Ardian Beltre has worked out well.

I won't be sad to see some movement this off-season of some of the heavy payroll guys who have not lived up to the challenge. But how many high-intensity guys can fit their heads in that dugout?

tjf67

Its not looking good Red Sox fans. You are almost a lock for third place in the American league. Not bad.

Becket said he would not mind being the spoiler? What can he spoil?

Geoff

Its not looking good Red Sox fans. You are almost a lock for third place in the American league. Not bad.

Becket said he would not mind being the spoiler? What can he spoil?

With a $160 million payroll, it's a disaster. Until the young Tampa players start vanishing to big payroll teams, the Sox are a 3rd place team and out of the playoffs. NESN revenues are down 1/3. The corporate types and pink hats will stop buying those expensive Fenway tickets. I don't see Boston carrying that kind of payroll next year.

skiNEwhere

With a $160 million payroll, it's a disaster. Until the young Tampa players start vanishing to big payroll teams, the Sox are a 3rd place team and out of the playoffs. NESN revenues are down 1/3. The corporate types and pink hats will stop buying those expensive Fenway tickets. I don't see Boston carrying that kind of payroll next year.

Reminiscent of the Mets team a few years ago