• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Say it ain't so Joe.....or should I say Steve.

Would you buy a Mac if it ran Windows?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Never, Macs are or Freaks

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I own a Mac and prefer OSX

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Depends on price.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

BeanoNYC

No, not Steve Riverc0il but Steve Jobs.

It seems that Apple announced new software that will be included in their new OS (Leopard) that will allow users to run windows XP on their new intel machines. It's a smart business move but still burns me non the less.

So, windows users, the question is would you be open to buying a mac that ran on the Window's platform?

dmc

You forgot a "who cares" option.. :)

NYDrew

A. Yeah, you really need the who cares option.
B. This was all over the news monthes ago, where have you been? I actually thought it was released already. They are also switching to intel processor archetechture (do they still call it x86?) if you didn't know that.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nah, i just dislike the mac culture. :) i feel a lot more comfortable with a box i can crack open and do anything i want with as well. build from scratch if i want, mix and match with my other machines.

it's funny you mention brand... mac is the biggest brand in teh computer world that i know of. i would NEVER order from a brand with a PC. dell SUCKS. i have dells at work, man do i hate dell. my girl friend's comp is a compaq, don't even get me started on that. i don't even know about the other branded computers. i do know that its rather foolish to buy their over priced pieces of crap. so me being anti-brand name computers defaults me to being anti-mac despite my other prejudices. :D

BeanoNYC

Good answer Steve. I wouldn't be married to Mac's if there were other machines out there with OSX. I prefer the apple platform. Before I became a teacher, I worked in the entertainment industry. We all used macs and I took a liking to them. I get around on PC's just fine, but I just like OSX better.

Andrew .... I've been skiing, that's where I've been. ;) And yes, my original post mentions Intel. This option is only for the Intel Macs. Now pipe down before I run you over with a Zamboni. I'm still waiting for that tune lesson.

skibum1321

I'm in the same boat as River. I prefer to be able to take my computer apart and be able to simply add anything I want or swap out parts. The design of the Macs is so weird that is like taking a laptop apart - you really need to know what you're doing and even then everything is just kind of jumbled together.

I use Unix at work, but I hate it. Linux is okay and is getting better as it becomes more user friendly - still not enough software though. I may dislike Windows XP, but it seems to be the best of the evils to me.

kcyanks1

hammer said:
Put my vote in the "who cares" category...besides, I also use UNIX and Linux systems at work so I'm a freak anyway. :p

I use Linux at home, so I'm in the same category as you.

Greg

Staff member
I'm a Dell guy and have had a great track record with them. Doubt that Apple will be able to compete on price. A more interesting question for the Mac users would be whether they plan to install OSX on Intel hardware.

ctenidae

I'm in the "Who cares" category, but wouldn't be against buying a Mac if the price is right. I'd like there to be a mainstream, viable alternative to Windows, that much is certain.

hammer

Greg said:
I'm a Dell guy and have had a great track record with them. Doubt that Apple will be able to compete on price.
PCs at home and work are both Dell machines.

I've had a mixed bag of results with Dell, but one good thing is that the last time I called for tech support I was actually able to understand the person at the other end...