• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official Mount Washington Low Temp Record Thread

Greg

Staff member
Let's keep an eye on the Mount Washington temp and see if the record (-47*F) falls tonight/tomorrow.

These guys are crazy:

www.mountwashington.org said:
011518-lg.jpg

It is difficult to convey just how cold it is outside. Further still, it is in fact hard to fully appreciate the cold with layers of synthetics, down, and wool protecting every square inch of our bodies. There is a simple solution to these problems: Take your gear off and run outside! (we are trained professionals, do not try this at home!) Pete, our summit manager, promptly informed us that this was not in compliance with our “no skin exposed” policy, but then left the room to check on the furnaces. Upon our return to the building, shivering uncontrollably, we were still baffled as how to explain the severity of the cold. Jason came to the rescue stating, “It is 100F warmer in here than it was out side!” Tim then went one step further by factoring in winds that were gusting to 92MPH. The combination of the air temp of –39F and the wind brought the wind chill to a remarkable –97F. That gave us a grand total difference of indoor and outdoor “effective” temperatures of 170F!

Today marked the 3rd consecutive day of record breaking cold temperatures, and tonight could well be the main event. There is the possibility, based on some of the model data, that temperatures will fall below our all time low temperature of –47F. This would not only break our record but also the official State of New Hampshire record. All eyes are on the thermometers!

Greg

Staff member
10:00 PM: -41.1°F!

I think we have a shot! :)

Max

I just got home from work (1:30 AM) and the report for 1:19 AM is -41.9 with an 85 MPH wind and -91 wind chill. Still needs a good drop to break the record.

Max

Max

BTW, the McMurdo station at the south pole has a deal where they wait for -100 degree temps, then the thing to do is run outside and immediately go back inside into the +200 degree sauna, to become an official member of the 300 degree club! :D

Max

Yes, I see it's now a "balmy" -26...where's my Hawaiian hiking shorts? "We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave..."