• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 9-4+5

drjeff

I was up at Mount Snow for their brewer's fest this past weekend, got out for rides both days. Saturday I was on my hardtail doing some crosscountry riding. I managed rolling just over 12 miles in about an hour and 45 minutes (a couple of miles of pavement both from my place to Mount Snow and then Carinthia over to the crosstown network of trails helped boost average speed, especially on the downhills). I started the ride with about 400 feet of descending over about 1.6 miles from my place across Route 100 and then over to the launch pad area of Mount Snow where I picked up their newly created this summer trail 16 which via a few switch backs climbs up maybe 200 vertical feet from the base area and winds its way over to Carinthia. Once at Carinthia, I was down the access road to Handle Road and then climbed upto the Crosstown area. I took the Robinhood trail down to where it intersects the Valley trail, then climbed back up the Valley Trail hitting the loop of Sherwood Forest to Friar Tuck back to the Valley Trail and then upto Handle Road. It was back upto the start of Robin Hood this time taking it all the way to the bottom where it deposits you into the bottom of the Kingswood development. Roaded it back up through Kingswood to Handle Road and then back to Carinthia where I then re-road the 16 trail back over to the main base area and then climbed back up to my place. A fun ride, and had me fully seeking "proper rehydration volumes" at the Brewer's Fest that afternoon :) :beer:

Sunday, woke up, feeling pretty good after Saturday's ride and day 1 of Brewer's fest. Me and one of my friends who was up for the weekend's festivities went over and rented a couple of the new this season, fleet of Jamis DH bikes (200mm of comfy goodness upfront and 8" of travel both courtesy of Fox in the back and a set of Kenda tires that looked like they were wide enough for a 250cc dirt bike) and we were off to Canyon Quad for some DH biking fun!

First run was just a cruiser down what in ski season is the top of the One More Time trail to Snowdance to Rollercoaster. After a couple of adjustments to the settings of the shocks to dial them in for our comfort, we were off exploring. Took the 13 trail, which basically winds through the tree area formerly known as "The Boonies" to the skiers left of One More time. Fun winding single track, with some really fun bridges, including one probably 40+ foot long banked turn bridge to the right :) Back up Canyon Quad to another rip down Rollercoaster which just flows sweetly in the banked switchbacks and bridges that they layed out there. Then it was over to the Carinthia side. The connector trail (trail #1 on the map)basically cuts across from the top of Canyon quad over to Ego Alley then down a little through the tree area formerly known as "Sap Tapper" out onto South Bowl and then over via a work road (trail #4 now)to Deer Run then across to Mineshaft, Nitro and Fools Gold (I was wishing I had my hardtail pretty much from the moment I got off South Bowl all the way over to and past Fools Gold, as even with both shocks in their stiffest settings, the amount of bounce with each pedal stroke wasn't really condusive for smooth climbing) We took the 10 trail down which based on all the semi- new looking Kenda tape lining the trail I'm guessing was used in a race up at Mount Snow this past summer, and it had a real nice flow with some techy rock/root sections in it that made we glad I was on the DH bike. Took that down to Carinthia base and then back over to Canyon quad via the #17 connector trail. We then spent the next 5 or 6 runs lapping rollercoaster (the 19 trail) the 13 trail and the 18 trail. Finally after about 3 hours and 9 or 10 runs we had had enough, and the sounds and smells of Day 2 of Brewer's Fest that had already been going on for an hour or so won out and we were off to start "rehydrating" :)