• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Current less than 24 hour Bug that is going around.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Warning, there is a nasty bug going around right now. I am just getting over it and other family members have had it. It strikes without warning. I was feeling great last night when I turned in for bed. At about 11:30 I got stomach cramps and felt nauseous. I got up and went to the bathroom, and none too soon. Fortunately, I have a sink in front of the toilet, because I needed them both, at the same time. This continued through the night, about every 10-15 minutes. I obviously got NO sleep. I got quite a fever through this too, 103.4. I was home all alone and felt like I was going to die. My stomach muscles hurt so bad right now. I am not back to normal yet, but I am no longer nauseous (which is a good thing). I am trying some water now for the first thing I have had all day, it seems to be ok. I need to get some water in me because I am becoming quite dehydrated. If this does not work, my sister has threatened to take me to the emergency room because I am so dehydrated.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Its called the puke bug :puke: I have had it a few times and once this year. Suck on some ice cubes if you can't keep the water down. You will be fine in a few days.

BeanoNYC

The school I teach in got hit with it a few month ago. At one point we had 15 teachers and over 300 students out. Another 50 that day went home sick. It was vicious to say the least.

ChileMass

I didn't get any of the intestinal stuff you mentioned, but on Wed-Fri last week, I was sicker than I have been in 25 years. On Tuesday I was sitting in a client meeting and out of nowhere my head started to swim, so I knew I was coming down with something. I didn't go back to my office because I wasn't feeling that well but even Tuesday night I didn't think I had anything major going on. But when I woke up Wed AM I felt like someone had been beating me with a 2x4 all night long. Every bone and muscle in my body hurt, I was alternately dripping sweat and then shivering uncontrollably, and coughing so hard I thought my socks were going to come out of my lungs. It was ridiculous. At 10AM I called the doctor to see if/when I could come in, and they said they could see me at 230PM. I laid on the couch but still felt so BAD I could not even sleep. I had taken 3 ibuprofen at 715AM, another 3 at 11AM and another one at 1PM, but my whole body HURT LIKE HELL, I could not stop coughing, and I could barely think straight. So off to the doc I drive at 200PM only to have him tell me that it's viral, I have the flu, it's a pretty bad one, and there's not much else he could do for me. He wrote me a scrip for cough syrup with codeine, told me take ibu and drink lots of OJ, try to get some sleep and call him by Friday if I felt worse. Thanks, doc. He's actually a really good guy, but I was really hoping he'd be able to give me something to make me feel better. Remember - antibiotics don't work on viruses like influenza - whoopee!

Wed - Thurs night was likely the worst night of sleep I have ever had (or not had) in my life. I rolled around all night, and if I slept more than 20-30 minutes at a stretch, that was about it. Ibuprofen did basically nothing, and the cough syrup held off the worst of the heavy cough, but I was still running a fever over 102*F into Thursday AM, so it was another sick day. I just laid on the couch all day popping ibuprofens and taking hits on my cough syrup every 4 hours. I did get a little sleep. My office was starting to get a little antsy about me being out for 2 days, but that's the breaks. Turns out I didn't go into work on Friday either, although by Friday afternoon I started pouring sweat and I think that's when the fever basically "broke". I slept OK Friday night and yesterday I felt back to about 60% of full function. I still spiked a little fever a couple times even yesterday. Today I felt almost back to normal, although my voice has now decided to bail on me after staying tough all week during the worst of it. Hopefully it will be OK tomorrow.

That was the fastest, nastiest flu I ever had. My doctor says it is everywhere right now, so take some echinacea and drink a lot of green tea, friends..........

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I got hit much harder then I thought. It re-appeared, worse than the first time, Saturday afternoon. I was taken, by ambulance, Sunday morning. At that time, I was having severe abdominal pains and mild chest pains. My BP had jumped to 146/92 (I'm usually around 100/70). My abdomen was so distended that I could barely get a pair of sweats with an elastic waist on, despite having lost about 10 lbs. I got sent home from the hospital last night after having many bags of fluid through IV. I still have pretty bad stomach pains, but no where as bad as I was having on Saturday Night and Sunday morning.

Npage148

Working at a pharmacy in buffalo, ive seen about 4 people nailed by the hard core flue in the last 2 weeks. One girl looked like she was ready to die right there. I hear it's spiking late this year, you usually dont see people in late march with it. Hope you feel better and knock on wood i dont get it

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
We call it "the grip" out here in the country.

I haven't had it. I attempt to keep my human-human contact as little as possible throughout my day.

I'm turning into a hermit, but at least I'm not puking...

noski

MRV variation

What is going around here is a long lasting bug that starts as a sore throat- you swear you have strep, but you don't- which moves right to sinus and lungs and then hangs for about 6-8 weeks You cough all night for several nights consecutive. I had it in Feb and just got it again. Don't worry, I did wash my hands before typing this out to you. At least this time I will try all the things I didn't do last time and see if I can beat it faster.

thetrailboss

Staff member
noski said:
What is going around here is a long lasting bug that starts as a sore throat- you swear you have strep, but you don't- which moves right to sinus and lungs and then hangs for about 6-8 weeks You cough all night for several nights consecutive. I had it in Feb and just got it again. Don't worry, I did wash my hands before typing this out to you. At least this time I will try all the things I didn't do last time and see if I can beat it faster.

Aren't you supposed to be giving us reasons to visit the MRV instead of reasons to stay away? :lol: :lol: :wink:

You may have a case of ski-itis. :wink: I advise getting out of the office one more day for some skiing before the "cure" is gone.