• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain - Saturday April 8th, 2006

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
Date(s) Skied: April 8, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Ski Bowl

Conditions: Granular, Ice and Slush

Trip Report:
I got to Hunter around 8:30 and from the drive up looked fairly decent. From my Hunter sources (DMC), the mountain was going to be fairly slow and once I pulled in the parking lot the mountain was only covered with a few locals and people that drove up for the ROAST later that day.

Started my day solo down Hellgate and had a mix between slush and ice. It was an interested run, but I didn't expect any different. The next run went down Konka to Minya and had to lay along the right side due to the limited\no snow on the left. I ended up hitting the terrain park after Minya and have no idea why the trail was open except to please the kids with the one limited jump that they put together. After a few more runs on Hellgate I took a brake in the lodge until the sun baked the trails a bit more.

Right around 11am, a few buddies showed up and we hit up the slopes again. With the sun not coming out we didn't have our hopes up, but Minya improved 100 fold and Hellgate finally had enough broken up snow that it was great for snowboarders (which I and my buddies are). After other 10 runs we felt it was time to hit the bar and time for me to grabe some water (had to drive home - 3 hours).

Overall, the conditions became decent in the end and found me motivated to make my way back up for the pond skimming next weekend.

dmc

It was not nearly as bad as everyone said it would be on Saturday.. You just had to go fast and turn where you could...

Sunday was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better...
Hunter_04-09-06_Elwood_3.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
It was not nearly as bad as everyone said it would be on Saturday.. You just had to go fast and turn where you could...

Sunday was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better...
Hunter_04-09-06_Elwood_3.jpg

Yesterday was a classic spring day. Simply awesome!!

Clairs was particularly sweet once it opened up.

JimG.

Staff member
RIDEr said:
I heard Sunday was great. I wish I stayed for the ROAST and boarded on Sunday... hopefully the rain holds off the mountain and they open on Friday and Saturday.

I hope they do open up on Fri-Sat even though I won't be there.

Yes, after skiing Hunter every weekend since the 11/19 opening, I'm going to miss the last weekend.

I'll be up in the MWV at Bretton Woods for a day (for my little 3 1/2 year old James, I promised him one more day on skis this season), then a day at Mt. Washington, then a morning at Wildcat before heading home Saturday.

That'll probably be the end of the season for me. With 3 more days, my season total will be 56 days. Not too bad.