• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I like Killington...

Greg

Staff member
...warts and all. It's really the only "day-trippable" mountain for me that gets reasonable natural snow fall. Not a fan of the sprawling layout, but there's plenty of good terrain. Hope the early season approach pans out and they don't overgroom this season. Making it well into May would be nice too. We'll see.

Geoff

...warts and all. It's really the only "day-trippable" mountain for me that gets reasonable natural snow fall. Not a fan of the sprawling layout, but there's plenty of good terrain. Hope the early season approach pans out and they don't overgroom this season. Making it well into May would be nice too. We'll see.

I think the whole Killington "overgroom" thing is nonsense. There are big chunks of the mountain that never get groomed unless there is a thaw/re-freeze. They never groom in the trees. If it's a time of year when they're existing on manmade snow, of course they're going to groom everything. Midwinter, if you can't find ungroomed natural snow terrain to ski on, you're not looking very hard.

I hear just as many complaints that Killington doesn't groom enough or doesn't groom thoroughly enough. I just show up and ski what they give me.

Rogman

I think the whole Killington "overgroom" thing is nonsense. There are big chunks of the mountain that never get groomed unless there is a thaw/re-freeze. They never groom in the trees. If it's a time of year when they're existing on manmade snow, of course they're going to groom everything. Midwinter, if you can't find ungroomed natural snow terrain to ski on, you're not looking very hard.

I hear just as many complaints that Killington doesn't groom enough or doesn't groom thoroughly enough. I just show up and ski what they give me.
C'mon Geoff, don't feed the troll, even if he is an admin. Greg, is it "Let's start a K thread and drive up traffic" day? And I don't think it's "sprawling" either, it's just really big.

gmcunni

i'll feed the troll....

Not a fan of the sprawling layout, but there's plenty of good terrain.

i've always liked but never loved killington for this exact reason. i'm mostly a day tripper and i've simply never really learned where the goods are at K. i'm sure if i spent multiple weekends or a straight week there i could have a blast but it just seems like when i go there i spend more time traversing back and forth.

Perhaps i'm too lazy to figure it out on my own, what i need is a tour from an insider ;-)

JerseyJoey

i'll feed the troll....

i've always liked but never loved killington for this exact reason. i'm mostly a day tripper and i've simply never really learned where the goods are at K. i'm sure if i spent multiple weekends or a straight week there i could have a blast but it just seems like when i go there i spend more time traversing back and forth.

Perhaps i'm too lazy to figure it out on my own, what i need is a tour from an insider ;-)

Get to know the mountain a little better and you will find great terrain with very little traversing. There are plenty of great areas at K that you could lap all day with no traversing involved whatsoever.

That being said, those traverses serve a great purpose when you need them. You can easily get from one area to an an entirely different area without taking multiple lifts to get there. If you're spending most of your day traversing, you are not skiing the mountain the way you should be.

I would be happy to show you around the next time you're there. Just hit me up with a pm and it's a done deal. I can't tell you, but I'd be more than happy to show you. No problem.

gmcunni

If you're spending most of your day traversing, you are not skiing the mountain the way you should be.
i know, it frustrates me. i don't really have plan when i get there. i ski something and think it was good, where can i go next, look at map, get confuzeled and end up less than satisfied.

it probably sounds strange coming from a guy who skis Sundown but i don't really like to lap the same trails over and over.

I would be happy to show you around the next time you're there. Just hit me up with a pm and it's a done deal. I can't tell you, but I'd be more than happy to show you. No problem.
thanks, will try to take you up on the offer this season.

Greg

Staff member
it probably sounds strange coming from a guy who skis Sundown but i don't really like to lap the same trails over and over.

Not at all strange. If you are used to lapping a little local hill, it makes sense to want to spread out when you get up north. I, on the other hand, am content to lap wherever I am. If I find something good, I'll hang there for a while.

gmcunni

Not at all strange. If you are used to lapping a little local hill, it makes sense to want to spread out when you get up north. I, on the other hand, am content to lap wherever I am. If I find something good, I'll hang there for a while.

if i'm in a bump state of mind lapping a single trail is fine, it is hardly the same run twice.

JerseyJoey

I like the way you worked the words "lapping" and "strange" into the same post.

Riverskier

Never skied Vermont. 1:15 to Sunday River and 2:15 to Sugarloaf and Saddleback, so it is hard to justify the trip. Would like to do a long weekend in Vermont some day and try a few mountains. Killington is definitely NOT on that list. In no particular order I would really like to hit Jay, Mad River, Stowe, and Sugarbush.

Highway Star

i'm mostly a day tripper and i've simply never really learned where the goods are at K. i'm sure if i spent multiple weekends or a straight week there i could have a blast but it just seems like when i go there i spend more time traversing back and forth.

These guys are full of it. Killington is all traverses and there's only two good trails, Superstar and Outer Limits. You're better off at ski sundown.

Puck it

i know, it frustrates me. i don't really have plan when i get there. i ski something and think it was good, where can i go next, look at map, get confuzeled and end up less than satisfied.

thanks, will try to take you up on the offer this season.

I have been going there for about three years now on a consistnent basis as a day tripper and I can show you places that are not on the map. I am sure there are more that I do not know about. I would be happy to show you too.

powhunter

If you know the mountain(s) you cant beat the K for the variety..Steeps,,Trees..and bumps. Had my best day there last year with 2knees after a decent dump the night before..Yea the traversing blows, but its the nearist big mountain around. Long live the institution!!

steveo

Greg

Staff member
I love killington threads......

If you know the mountain(s) you cant beat the K for the variety..Steeps,,Trees..and bumps. Had my best day there last year with 2knees after a decent dump the night before..Yea the traversing blows, but its the nearist big mountain around. Long live the institution!!

steveo

But you're only cool if you know the secret stashes. :-o

frankm938

Never skied Vermont. 1:15 to Sunday River and 2:15 to Sugarloaf and Saddleback, so it is hard to justify the trip. Would like to do a long weekend in Vermont some day and try a few mountains. Killington is definitely NOT on that list. In no particular order I would really like to hit Jay, Mad River, Stowe, and Sugarbush.

just curious, what makes you want to ski those other mountains but not killington without having skied any of them? the 4 you listed are great places but i think you would enjoy killington as well if the reason you like a mountain is terrain, snowfall ect...