need: tuna recipe

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

need: tuna recipe

buddy of mine caught some very large tuna's on sunday out in the atlantic...i now have 3 very large pieces of raw tuna....what to do? grill, leave raw? i've never grilled/cooked tuna before

thx
    updownupdownupdownupdown

If grilled tuna is good medium rare like steak.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO View Post
    buddy of mine caught some very large tuna's on sunday out in the atlantic...i now have 3 very large pieces of raw tuna....what to do? grill, leave raw? i've never grilled/cooked tuna before

thx
    My 2 favorite cooked tuna recipes - most tuna I prefer raw as sushi

Both involve the grill

#1 Cut the Tuna into 1 to 1-1/2in thick steaks. Marinate the Tuna steaks for a couple of hours in a sealed container with some Tequila and some fresh lime juice (make the Tequila/lime ratio as your taste buds like) - grill usally about 3-4 minutes per side over a hot flame. The Tuna should be seared on the outside and in the center should appear essentially the same color/temp as a rare-medium rare steak

#2 Same tuna steak thickness. Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours - overnight works well too - in a mix of equal parts soy sauce and orange juice. Add 1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar to the marinade. Cook the same way as the Tequila lime marinade tuna above - enjoy
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19,24,26 (Mount Snow)
    December: 2,3,10 (Mount Snow) 9 (Stratton)

Freeze some of it immediately

I like it seared or grilled to medium rare

I also like it slow poached in evoo and flaked over a salad

Tuna burgers would be good. Grind some meat with a little ginger and sesame salt pepper or even replace the salt with a bit of soy. Scallion would be good with this.

Basically think of all the flavors that go with it and go from there. It doesn't just have to be asian stuff. Olives and slow roasted tomato along with capers work. Something as simple as fresh squeezed lemon and lots of pepper works as well.

You definately have the opportunity to consume the best tuna fish sandwich ever. I urge you to try that as well!

shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO View Post

thx
    I grill swordfish and grill grade tuna pretty much the same time for the same thickness. For 1 1/2" thick steaks, grill 4 to 5 minutes per side on a really hot flame. For sushi grade tuna, I just sear it. 2 minutes per side max.

My sauce is:
    chopped green onion, one onion per person
    minced fresh ginger, maybe 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon per person
    3 parts rice vinegar
    1 part soy sauce
    splash of sesame oil
    toasted sesame seeds (I buy them pre-toasted)
    wasabi powder.... maybe 1/2 teaspoon for four servings

I've tried many different tuna variations but they always leave me wanting this: coat with coarsely cracked pepper - grill on very high heat for no more than 1min/1st side, 30sec/2nd. Serve with wasabi and soy.

ALWAYS enjoy (and purchase) locally caught giant blue fin. Stick boats and hand line/rods keep a lot of people employed.

Unfortunately, the factory trawlers have decimated the blue fin stocks. North Amersican stocks are in the $hitter. Please don't purchase blue fin where you don't know where it came from.... $#%@^ raping the environment.. Farmed blue fin = captured wild stock so that $hit don't count either.

off soup box now....
    Calvin and Hobbes: Do we brave the descent, risk demise, and experience the flood of somatic sensation that screams we are alive, gloriously alive, however temporarily?????

2013:
    0 tarpon

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    I've tried many different tuna variations but they always leave me wanting this: coat with coarsely cracked pepper - grill on very high heat for no more than 1min/1st side, 30sec/2nd. Serve with wasabi and soy.
    this
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post

#1 Cut the Tuna into 1 to 1-1/2in thick steaks. Marinate the Tuna steaks for a couple of hours in a sealed container with some Tequila and some fresh lime juice (make the Tequila/lime ratio as your taste buds like) - grill usally about 3-4 minutes per side over a hot flame. The Tuna should be seared on the outside and in the center should appear essentially the same color/temp as a rare-medium rare steak
    I do something like this fairly often and serve it with a fruit salsa.

Also good with your standard salsa served with some spanish rice

Thread Information