• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

need: tuna recipe

SKIQUATTRO

buddy of mine caught some very large tuna's on sunday out in the atlantic...i now have 3 very large pieces of raw tuna....what to do? grill, leave raw? i've never grilled/cooked tuna before

thx

drjeff

buddy of mine caught some very large tuna's on sunday out in the atlantic...i now have 3 very large pieces of raw tuna....what to do? grill, leave raw? i've never grilled/cooked tuna before

thx

My 2 favorite cooked tuna recipes - most tuna I prefer raw as sushi :)

Both involve the grill

#1 Cut the Tuna into 1 to 1-1/2in thick steaks. Marinate the Tuna steaks for a couple of hours in a sealed container with some Tequila and some fresh lime juice (make the Tequila/lime ratio as your taste buds like) - grill usally about 3-4 minutes per side over a hot flame. The Tuna should be seared on the outside and in the center should appear essentially the same color/temp as a rare-medium rare steak

#2 Same tuna steak thickness. Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours - overnight works well too - in a mix of equal parts soy sauce and orange juice. Add 1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar to the marinade. Cook the same way as the Tequila lime marinade tuna above - enjoy

snoseek

Freeze some of it immediately

I like it seared or grilled to medium rare

I also like it slow poached in evoo and flaked over a salad

Tuna burgers would be good. Grind some meat with a little ginger and sesame salt pepper or even replace the salt with a bit of soy. Scallion would be good with this.

Basically think of all the flavors that go with it and go from there. It doesn't just have to be asian stuff. Olives and slow roasted tomato along with capers work. Something as simple as fresh squeezed lemon and lots of pepper works as well.

You definately have the opportunity to consume the best tuna fish sandwich ever. I urge you to try that as well!

gmcunni

51T92E5273L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Geoff

thx

I grill swordfish and grill grade tuna pretty much the same time for the same thickness. For 1 1/2" thick steaks, grill 4 to 5 minutes per side on a really hot flame. For sushi grade tuna, I just sear it. 2 minutes per side max.

My sauce is:
chopped green onion, one onion per person
minced fresh ginger, maybe 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon per person
3 parts rice vinegar
1 part soy sauce
splash of sesame oil
toasted sesame seeds (I buy them pre-toasted)
wasabi powder.... maybe 1/2 teaspoon for four servings

roark

I've tried many different tuna variations but they always leave me wanting this: coat with coarsely cracked pepper - grill on very high heat for no more than 1min/1st side, 30sec/2nd. Serve with wasabi and soy.

tarponhead

ALWAYS enjoy (and purchase) locally caught giant blue fin. Stick boats and hand line/rods keep a lot of people employed.

Unfortunately, the factory trawlers have decimated the blue fin stocks. North Amersican stocks are in the $hitter. Please don't purchase blue fin where you don't know where it came from.... $#%@^ raping the environment.. Farmed blue fin = captured wild stock so that $hit don't count either.

off soup box now....

gorgonzola

I've tried many different tuna variations but they always leave me wanting this: coat with coarsely cracked pepper - grill on very high heat for no more than 1min/1st side, 30sec/2nd. Serve with wasabi and soy.

this

deadheadskier

Staff member
#1 Cut the Tuna into 1 to 1-1/2in thick steaks. Marinate the Tuna steaks for a couple of hours in a sealed container with some Tequila and some fresh lime juice (make the Tequila/lime ratio as your taste buds like) - grill usally about 3-4 minutes per side over a hot flame. The Tuna should be seared on the outside and in the center should appear essentially the same color/temp as a rare-medium rare steak

I do something like this fairly often and serve it with a fruit salsa.

Also good with your standard salsa served with some spanish rice

snoseek

Ground tuna would also be a great alternative to meat in Bolegnese.

A quick note about wasabi. If you were to make say wasabi mayo or something like that make sure to make a paste first or the wasabi will be really bitter

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
My 2 favorite cooked tuna recipes - most tuna I prefer raw as sushi :)

Both involve the grill

#2 Same tuna steak thickness. Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours - overnight works well too - in a mix of equal parts soy sauce and orange juice. Add 1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar to the marinade. Cook the same way as the Tequila lime marinade tuna above - enjoy

I've done #2. I also like a s&p seasoned tuna grilled over this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-tuna-salad-recipe2/index.html

Geoff

Why would you even bother cooking this? It's already a ceviche from the acid in the lime and doesn't need to be cooked. Maybe a quick sear but you don't want to heat it to medium-rare.

drjeff

Why would you even bother cooking this? It's already a ceviche from the acid in the lime and doesn't need to be cooked. Maybe a quick sear but you don't want to heat it to medium-rare.

My Tequila/Lime ratio tends to be quite heavy on the Tequila side of the equation ;) So from past experiences the outer say 1/8" or so may be "cooked" ceviche style via the acid, but for the taste of my families palate, the rest of the tuna steak needs some heat. That's the thing with tuna steaks also that I've noticed(maybe more then with any other kind of meat), how "cooked" person A likes it may be far too overdone for person B's preference and not cooked enough for person C

ctenidae

What he said.

SKIQUATTRO

took a bit of advice from everyone.....zip lock bag with 3 good sized tuna ..

OJ
Tequilla
cilantro
salt
pepper
soy

let it soak for 12 hrs, got the grill to 500 degrees, 4 min on each side.....

ohhhhh mamma was it fantastic......

dmc

took a bit of advice from everyone.....zip lock bag with 3 good sized tuna ..

OJ
Tequilla
cilantro
salt
pepper
soy

let it soak for 12 hrs, got the grill to 500 degrees, 4 min on each side.....

ohhhhh mamma was it fantastic......

Holy crap that sounds good..

I might sprinkle sesame seeds on that just before grilling too..

snoseek

DONT over cook it...

Your right dead on as a steak but slow poaching in some Olive oil with garlic is sooooo good flaked cold over a salad with olives/antipasto kind of stuff. Tomato is suprisingly good with Tuna