• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's starting to feel like Fall...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Took the kids apple picking this afternoon. First time I've gone, though they've been before with my FIL. Beautiful day: about 70 degrees, sunny, a little breezy--perfect Fall weather (even though it's technically not Fall yet). I let the kids pick their bag sizes, which was a mistake--$21 later and I probably have over 15 lbs of apples right now. :eek: Guess I'll have to take out Warp-Daddy's recipe for Amaretto Apple Crisp soon!

A few pics... I'm disappointed overall. Been playing with my new-to-me fisheye lens but it's fully manual (including the aperture) and I'm having a hard time finding the sweet spot for focus. (Plus I was using it on a new-to-me DSLR body that had somebody else's leftover presets on it...) Still, it was a nice day to get outside.

4990950309_4f491daf02_z.jpg

4991491580_f6f15f04d6_z.jpg

4990913807_55efbc9d88_z.jpg

4990936421_6c58af8dc2_z.jpg

4990945557_4ed6c01360_z.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Love March Farms. We went to Lyman this year. That's a lot of freakin' apples...

bvibert

Staff member
Good thing the kids eat 2-3 apples a piece every day that we have them... :eek:

snoseek

Wow! Those a great pictures. What kind of camera are you using? The pic of your kid with the fisheye lens came out pretty good I thought

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Wow! Those a great pictures. What kind of camera are you using? The pic of your kid with the fisheye lens came out pretty good I thought
Thanks. :) I just moved up to a Canon 20D from a 10D. Nothing like a 6-year-old pro-sumer DSLR. :lol: Works for me, though. I can thank Lightroom for helping me fix some of the underexposed shots from when I was trying to figure out what the heck kind of presets the previous owner had on the body. :oops:

drjeff

Love March Farms. We went to Lyman this year. That's a lot of freakin' apples...

Lyman is nuts! Just love that place! It's one of the few places that my wife will actually encourage me to go golfing at(and they have 2 really good golf courses there) since she knows that when I get home, I'll have some really good fruit + veggies + baked goods from their farm store (I'm practically drooling right now thinking about their apple cider donuts!)

hammer

Tons of pool service trucks out the past couple of mornings, and boatyards are starting to fill up. People are winterizing already.
Not yet for me...one more fall camping trip and then we'll start working on getting the pop-up ready for winter storage.

Been wondering why our leaves aren't changing already...the birches usually start before Labor Day.

4aprice

Nice nip to the air during my morning workout. A little color showing up in the trees. A good crop of acorns on the ground already and the squirrels are busy with their bombing runs. Starting to think about putting the boat away for the season. I feel the fever starting to rise.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ForsakenKit

Great Photos, I really need to get out to the apple orchard and take some pictures, ive always wanted to.

hammer

How much did you get? A full bushel?

We usually get a packed half-bushel for a family of 4...and we're practically sick of apples after a few weeks...

bvibert

Staff member
How much did you get? A full bushel?

We usually get a packed half-bushel for a family of 4...and we're practically sick of apples after a few weeks...

She got a peck and a half, which came out to just over 15 pounds (a peck is supposed to be about 10.5 pounds). A bushel is supposed to be about 42 pounds, so I guess we ended up with a little less than a half bushel.

I will say this; my kids picked some of the smallest apples I've ever seen.... Which made it somewhat more tedious getting the 3 pounds needed for the recipe peeled and sliced, since I had to go through so many apples...