• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nass with light assistance 9/14/10

bvibert

Staff member
I met up with kill your ATV from crankfire for a nice evening ride. It was my first of the season where lights were needed. We took off from Stone at around 6:30 and hit the trail right across from the parking lot. I don't usually get to ride that section because some people are babies and don't like the two climbs in it. :roll: It was a nice change and I even managed to make the second climb for the first time ever! From there we went up to the lollipop which we hit clockwise and then headed down to the middle shelf in the dentist twisties. We then crossed the blue trail and headed to the northside loop. It was starting to get dark by then but I was resisting turning the lights on just yet. When I got to the rock garden at the lowest part of the trail I knew I should have turned them on sooner. I managed to get halfway through before a rock jumped out and stopped me. I turned my bar light on at that point. Once out of the loop we headed over to the jeep road climb and went up it to the top of the hobo trail. We followed the hobo trail down through to the bail trail and were done.

All in all a nice ride. It was probably the most technical riding I've done with the headlights, but it went well. I also haven't been riding over there much so it was nice to get back and chase someone new.

atvkilla

Nice riding with you Bri. You make good use of that hardtail, I can imagine down the road when you get a FS. I read many of your ride posts, and it's great that we had no mechanicals last night!

Good to be out at night with somebody else, as it's a little too dangerous and downright creepy by yourself. Let's do it again soon.

vibertlightedup2.jpg

WoodCore

...... hit the trail right across from the parking lot. I don't usually get to ride that section because some people are babies and don't like the two climbs in it. :roll:

Not sure you want to bark up that tree regardless I'll be sure to drag your ass up it every time we are nearby. Perhaps a Purple Dot>Bone Yard>Rogues>Pine Nutz>Stone Double Climb fest is in order?

bvibert

Staff member
Not sure you want to bark up that tree regardless I'll be sure to drag your ass up it every time we are nearby. Perhaps a Purple Dot>Bone Yard>Rogues>Pine Nutz>Stone Double Climb fest is in order?

Bring it pal! :lol:

rueler

Nice route Jonny...that'll get your legs and lungs burning...when you're done with that, descend back to Stone and do the Blue/Red too. That'll be a climb fest for sure. I still want to climb the Cornwall DH this year. You up for it?

WoodCore

I still want to climb the Cornwall DH this year. You up for it?

I wasn't born ready for it! none the less the stars are somewhat aligned, the legs are feeling good so why not. Before or after the VT 50?

rueler

After would be better...I'm doing one more big ride on Saturday (30ish)...the loop I have planned is riding that in the preferred direction since we're parking at Scoville. If we were parking at soccer fields, I'd end the ride with that and the blue/green to punchbrook to blue/white climb.

Next week, I'm probably only going to ride really light mountain and/or road miles on Monday, Tuesday and maybe Thursday. So, no big climbs like Cornwall DH.

bvibert

Staff member
Might be up for attempting climbing up the Cornwall DH... I'm sure I wouldn't keep up to either of you, but it might be fun to try...

o3jeff

Might be up for attempting climbing up the Cornwall DH... I'm sure I wouldn't keep up to either of you, but it might be fun to try...

You riding this weekend? We might have to do a dry run or even try that climbing route WC listed if you know the trails by their names.

bvibert

Staff member
You riding this weekend? We might have to do a dry run or even try that climbing route WC listed if you know the trails by their names.

I hope to ride on Sunday morning, but I don't have any definite plans yet.

bvibert

Staff member
Thats the only time I can't ride, babysitting my niece. Gonna try a Saturday AM and a Sunday PM. Will post up when I figure it out.

Good man!

Let me know on the ride, i definitely can't do Saturday AM, or Saturday PM for that matter, but Sunday PM might potentially work. Don't plan around me though.

rueler

It sounds a lot worse than it really is...most of it is very climbable and no worse than many things that we already do on the climbs up JCake or Fat Kid. It's just a long stretch of up...The one part that is TOUGH is the rockier section that has two options...on the bottom of this climb is a log across the trail...it's also right at the end of Dick Tickler's. In my opinion, that's the part that will be the "test". Everything else should be well within everyone's reach.

If we were to cross Cornwall and then go up Blue/Green that would be the toughest section...the steep, loose rock section is barely rideable going up. I'd vote for going Blue/Green to Punchbrook (haven't ridden that section this year). Then doing a Soccer loop.

bvibert

Staff member
It sounds a lot worse than it really is...most of it is very climbable and no worse than many things that we already do on the climbs up JCake or Fat Kid. It's just a long stretch of up...The one part that is TOUGH is the rockier section that has two options...on the bottom of this climb is a log across the trail...it's also right at the end of Dick Tickler's. In my opinion, that's the part that will be the "test". Everything else should be well within everyone's reach.

If we were to cross Cornwall and then go up Blue/Green that would be the toughest section...the steep, loose rock section is barely rideable going up. I'd vote for going Blue/Green to Punchbrook (haven't ridden that section this year). Then doing a Soccer loop.

I don't see that rocky section being very easy to ride and is one of the two areas that I assumed I'd have to walk at some point. The other being the loose rocky section you mentioned. I didn't think about heading to the soccer fields from there. Then we could incorporate Woodcore's climb fest into the ride too! I've only done that section of Blue/Green to Punch Brook a couple of times, and not yet this year.

o3jeff

I don't see that rocky section being very easy to ride and is one of the two areas that I assumed I'd have to walk at some point. The other being the loose rocky section you mentioned.

Amateur!, I was thinking about doing that climb at night with the new $15 light I ordered of Chainlove yesterday.

bvibert

Staff member
Amateur!, I was thinking about doing that climb at night with the new $15 light I ordered of Chainlove yesterday.

Let me know how the works out for you. BTW - It's about time you got a light! What did you end up with? I'm scared @ $15...