• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Jackets

wa-loaf

Got a medium Cloudveil RPK jacket out for delivery today. Hope it fits.

Just a tiny bit snug, I'm going to keep it and use it as inspiration to lose a few more pounds. Otherwise very nice, not as many pockets as the Patagonia, but I do like that the hood zips off. It doesn't zip off my older RPK.

I'm a SAC guy, but when looking for stuff in person I've been going to snowboard shops.

Burton makes some nice stuff that is priced very well.

I've found I'm not sure what fits me anymore so I'm reluctant to grab clothing items off of SAC right now. Not at all into snowboarder/newschool style clothing.

powbmps

I learned my lesson last year after a couple failed attempts at ordering Oakley jackets online.

Not at all into snowboarder/newschool style clothing.

Look beyond the wacky patterns and XXL sizes Wa-loaf. Paid full price for a Burton Poacher jacket last year at the Darkside snowboard shop in Stowe. Set me back a whopping $149.

09burtonpoacherjktredical1.jpg

wa-loaf

Look beyond the wacky patterns and XXL sizes Wa-loaf. Paid full price for a Burton Poacher jacket last year at the Darkside snowboard shop in Stowe. Set me back a whopping $149.

09burtonpoacherjktredical1.jpg

Nice price and all, but the big flap pockets don't do it for me. Maybe I'm being picky but like an the alpinist look, taped seems, sealed zippers, etc ...

This is what I wound up with:
3473.jpg

powbmps

I see what your saying. That's a nice looking jacket.

Nice price and all, but the big flap pockets don't do it for me. Maybe I'm being picky but like an the alpinist look, taped seems, sealed zippers, etc ...

This is what I wound up with:
3473.jpg

mondeo

So I'm looking for a new one. I lost weight and my old one is too big.

or New School baggy stuff.
But that's your answer! Just keep the old stuff, and bam, you're fashionable now!

Really makes weight fluctuations a lot less of an issue.

SKIQUATTRO

I got a Marmot Aegis jacket for rain/bad weather, wondering if it'd be a good cold weather/ski jacket with a softshell jacket underneath along with proper layering...

wa-loaf

I got a Marmot Aegis jacket for rain/bad weather, wondering if it'd be a good cold weather/ski jacket with a softshell jacket underneath along with proper layering...

Really any waterproof/breathable jacket will work for skiing as long as you have enough room to insulate underneath. I don't know about using a softshell, a nice heavy fleece or a puffy synthetic sweater would be good to wear underneath. Powder skirts are just a nice to have, but having enough pockets is important to me.

gmcunni

Really any waterproof/breathable jacket will work for skiing as long as you have enough room to insulate underneath. I don't know about using a softshell, a nice heavy fleece or a puffy synthetic sweater would be good to wear underneath. Powder skirts are just a nice to have, but having enough pockets is important to me.

this is my plan for this year on all but the coldest days. i have a northface shell that i've worn in high 20's. i plan on adding a good mid-layer fleece for colder days.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Powder skirts are just a nice to have, but having enough pockets is important to me.
Maybe it is different out west, but I have never found a use for a powder skirt. I ski more powder than the average skier, I have a powder skirt, I never use it, and I never get powder up my jacket. If I was skiing balls deep, I could see the need. Otherwise, for resort skiing, convenient pockets is definitely more important. Wind and water proof with breathability trumps all though. I just upgraded my jacket collection with a few items from Marmot and hope to have a better layering and a more breathable system, both in bounds and out.

wa-loaf

How do you like it so far? I'm back looking since I'm not tall enough to wear the Stoic I ordered off SAC. Figured I'll check out Cloudveil again since I have two soft shells that fit well.

Looks like they changed the style and added a storm flap. This is the one I have:
cloudveil-rpk-jkt-reservoir.jpg

So far so good. I got a medium and it's a little snug on me, but the length is perfect. Would probably be a good fit for you if you can find one on sale. Maybe after xmas.

o3jeff

Thanks, going to keep my eye on their website after xmas(i'm also on their email list) and see if they go on sale. Not many places selling Cloudveil other than direct or KL Mountain.

kickstand

Seen them on Sierra Trading Post too.

I think they're all gone. I had been scouring everywhere for an RPK in the sierra color, or even that grey-ish color, in L or XL with no luck. I ended up with one of these bad boys instead:

4444_2391.jpg

I haven't worn it yet, but I love the weight of it and it has plenty of features. It doesn't have as many pockets as my old jacket, so I'll just have to carry less stuff with me. The neck opening is a bit bigger than I would've liked, but I think it will be fine once I have layers on and figure out how to tighten it up properly with the hood on.