• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Jackets

SKIQUATTRO

I'm 6 days in with my Mammut Chalten jacket, its fantastic, couldnt be happier

SKIQUATTRO

Thanks! Being Swiss it zippers on the other side which takes a bit to get used to, however its easier to do when leaving the bar for some reason :)

Great jacket, highly recommended. Wife got me the Mammut Dobson pants for my bday, Mammut makes a great product, very happy.

legalskier

I've seen some jackets on the mountain by Mountain Hardwear, which were sharp looking. I believe the company started out in mountaineering and added some items for skiers, like the Cutaway jacket:

41Db903SBaL.jpg

I'm considering getting one for next season. Three color selections. At $250 it's cheaper than most of the other jackets mentioned yet the quality looks very good and the buyer reviews are positive.
Does anyone have experience with Mountain Hardwear?

Mountain%20Hardwear.bmp

drjeff

I've seen some jackets on the mountain by Mountain Hardwear, which were sharp looking. I believe the company started out in mountaineering and added some items for skiers, like the Cutaway jacket:

41Db903SBaL.jpg

I'm considering getting one for next season. Three color selections. At $250 it's cheaper than most of the other jackets mentioned yet the quality looks very good and the buyer reviews are positive.

Mountain%20Hardwear.bmp

I have 3 Mountain Hardware softshells that I love. The oldest is 5 or 6 seasons old, and aside from the random chairlift grease stain is as good as the 1st day I put it on. IMHO, GOOD stuff, and garments that were designed by people who actually go outside and use them, and think (more times than not) intelligently about what features they'd want in that coat!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

41Db903SBaL.jpg

Mountain%20Hardwear.bmp
I have a MH Windstopper fleece and soft shell. The fleece is great for every day use. I skied in it twice this season. It works pretty well for short sessions. I got the soft shell for spring skiing. It's a very nice jacket, in fact, because it's raining, I'm wearing it today. For skiing, it worked, but I found my self wanting something a little more ski specific. I picked up the Synchro jacket. It's more of what I was looking for and the jacket looks and feels like it's meant take on the weather. The Dragon I got in a XL and it fits me nicely, but the Synchro is a XXL.

MH Cutaway jacket also has some insulation.

o3jeff

Bump!

Figured I would start looking for jackets early this week. I bought a medium Patagonia Powder Bowl jacket online the other week. It fit good other than the sleeves are about 6-8" too long on me(i'm 5-8 ) so I sent it back.

Anyone know what is going on with Cloudveil this year? I thought I remember reading that the private investors bought it back the end of last winter. I have a couple things from them and they all fit me perfectly and am interested in getting a jacket from them. Looked at their website, but it doesn't have any winter stuff up yet. Just wondering if anyone's herd whats going on with them?

Last edited:

wa-loaf

Bump!

Figured I would start looking for jackets early this week. I bought a medium Patagonia Powder Bowl jacket online the other week. It fit good other than the sleeves are about 6-8" too long on me(i'm 5-8) so I sent it back.

Anyone know what is going on with Cloudveil this year? I thought I remember reading that the private investors bought it back the end of last winter. I have a couple things from them and they all fit me perfectly and am interested in getting a jacket from them. Looked at their website, but it doesn't have any winter stuff up yet. Just wondering if anyone's herd whats going on with them?

I need to lose some weight by ski season. My Cloudveil was kinda tight last year and I've put 10lbs on since ...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I need to lose some weight by ski season. My Cloudveil was kinda tight last year and I've put 10lbs on since ...

Get crackin' dude on the weight. I've just knocked off 35 lb with another 20 to go. Last year was my highest weight ever and my worst year skiing ever. Always over tired. Like carrying a baby around. Trust me, you'll ski better and feel better.

o3jeff

Ended up getting another Marker jacket, they seem to fit me pretty good and at a decent price. Got last years Helios model shell.

69164_440_PACIFIC_LG.jpg

Puck it

Get crackin' dude on the weight. I've just knocked off 35 lb with another 20 to go. Last year was my highest weight ever and my worst year skiing ever. Always over tired. Like carrying a baby around. Trust me, you'll ski better and feel better.

I have dropped 15lbs. MTB'ing everyday since June for 12 miles. Feel good.

deadheadskier

Staff member
that's a good deal. I'll be interested to hear how you like it. I wonder how bulky it is being insulated