• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Smoked salmon and chicken

Glenn

Fired up....eerrr..."plugged in" the ol' Brinkman on Saturday in VT. Now that I have the chain saw, I was able to cut up and chunk up the apple wood I have. The larger chunks smoke longer and require less reloading.

A little back story.... A buddy of mine got me hooked on Dizzy Pig Wings; really easy to make: http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html

After we made a few rounds of those, my wife suggested we try using some bigger pieces of chicken and adding smoke. It worked great! You can basically leave those on the smoker for 2-2.5 hours and they cook up nicely. Flipping them is optional. It helps keep the crispiness even, but it isn't 100% needed. I had the chicken on the lower rack, salmon up top. So it wasn't really possible to flip the chicken with that set up.

This was the first time we smoked salmon...came out great! My wife put a little olive oil, salt and pepper on it.

I used mostly apple wood for this smoke with two foil packets of mesquite tossed in for a little variety.

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

BackLoafRiver

That Salmon looks pretty close to perfect!! Is that a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's I detect in one of the corners? :spin: One of my favorite bbq sauces.

How long did the wings take? (i know the recipe calls for between 1.5 and 2.5 hours)

Glenn

2.5 hours on the salmon. We kinda "guessed" it would be done by that time. We took a temp reading just to be safe.

Yep! Sweet Baby Ray's it is! My wife makes a mean BBQ sauce, but that stuff is really good for store bought. It's a lot better than the other stuff on the shelves.

Chicken was on for 2.5. Again, more of a guess. Usually between 2-2.5 for chicken that size. When drjeff and mrs drjeff were over, I think we did about 2 hours even. We were only cooking chicken, so I was able to flip those.

Glenn

Guess who brought over that 12-er of Ultra Jeff? :lol:

Thanks Root! We had no leftovers....well, we did...but everyone took some home.