• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Album you remember

SkiDork

Dork #2 here. I couldn't decide between the Monkees and the Beatles. Then again, I was about 10 at the time.

BUT, my first 45 was "I Love You" by the Zombies.

BUT we are off topic. The first album you remember was the thread topic. In that case, it was some of the stuff my parents listened to - Mitch Miller (man I loved that bouncing ball on the B&W TV!), Gene Autry, Bing Crosby.

oh, if thats the case, my mom used to play her 78's. Can't remember the artists though...

dmc

yeah - if were talking 45's - i remember sitting in my aunts bedroom in the 60's listening to the Beatles and Monkeys.. I liked the Monkeys more...

gorgonzola

ooohh, if its the first album i remember then its got to be this one from the 'rents collection - the cover interested me when i was about 8 or 9 and i actually listened to it a few times
herb_albert.jpg

my first musical memory was jamming to the jungle book soundtrack with my cousins. the "bear neccessiities" was my mantra and still is! had alot of fun re-introducing it to my own kids when they were little

dmc

ooohh, if its the first album i remember then its got to be this one from the 'rents collection - the cover interested me when i was about 8 or 9 and i actually listened to it a few times
herb_albert.jpg

HAHA - my Mom and Dad had that one too.. i was also titillated by this as a kid in the 60's

WakeboardMom

I'm with the old folks here...YES to Mitch Miller. The albums were like a book, and they had perforated pages with the text of the lyrics. You could tear out the pages and hand give them to folks so everyone could sing along.

Somebody else said "Marching Band music." My dad used to play those kinds of things, too. He also loved bagpipes.

I remember them having this one:
Whipped-Cream-Other-Delights-B000002GA9-L.jpg

I remember my aunt having this one:
sonny_lookf.jpg

I did own Meet the Beatles and More of the Monkees, but this one I loved, too:
Supremes-sing-hdh.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I hated Herb Alpert back then and I still do.
Now, watching Sonny & Cher on Ed Sullivan, well, watching Cher... gawd that stuff was so squeaky clean. But Barney Fife was popular too. I think we lost more brain cells listening and watching that stuff than any ingesting hallucenogenic substance :???:

When we went to my grandmother's house, the world stopped for Ed Sullivan and Gunsmoke... I still remember watching Ed Sullivan introduce the Beatles for the first time. It just seemed so wrong - Sullivan was such a control freak, and these guys, well, you know the story...

SkiDork

I hated Herb Alpert back then and I still do.
Now, watching Sonny & Cher on Ed Sullivan, well, watching Cher... gawd that stuff was so squeaky clean. But Barney Fife was popular too. I think we lost more brain cells listening and watching that stuff than any ingesting hallucenogenic substance :???:

When we went to my grandmother's house, the world stopped for Ed Sullivan and Gunsmoke... I still remember watching Ed Sullivan introduce the Beatles for the first time. It just seemed so wrong - Sullivan was such a control freak, and these guys, well, you know the story...

re; Herb Alpert... Maybe the music style was distatsteful but he's no doubt one of the top trumpet players in the world.

noski

Dork #2 here. I couldn't decide between the Monkees and the Beatles. Then again, I was about 10 at the time.

BUT, my first 45 was "I Love You" by the Zombies.

BUT we are off topic. The first album you remember was the thread topic. In that case, it was some of the stuff my parents listened to - Mitch Miller (man I loved that bouncing ball on the B&W TV!), Gene Autry, Bing Crosby.

Dork 3 for me on Partridge Family, and my mother's Sing Along With Mitch album is how I learned to read. I knew the songs, and could follow along on the word sheet that came with the album. However I have not needed to know all the words to Harbor Lights, Cecilia, or Jeepers Creepers in all my adult years....

dmc

Friday nights were always Partridge Family, Room 222, and Odd Couple. Can't remember what was on after Odd Couple

I think it was also on before Love American Style. My parents didn't like me watching Love American Style because it was racy - they weren't all that comfortable with Room222 because of the racial stuff at the time.. But we watched it..

A couple times i was asked to leave the room during Laugh In too.. I remember one skit where there was an elevator - and it opens and a bunch of hot girls get off door closes and opens and more hot girls get off... Then if closes and opens on an angle and a bunch of Asian girls get off...

they asked me to leave the room... 10 years later - i got the joke... haha...

SkiDork

I think it was also on before Love American Style. My parents didn't like me watching Love American Style because it was racy - they weren't all that comfortable with Room222 because of the racial stuff at the time.. But we watched it..

A couple times i was asked to leave the room during Laugh In too.. I remember one skit where there was an elevator - and it opens and a bunch of hot girls get off door closes and opens and more hot girls get off... Then if closes and opens on an angle and a bunch of Asian girls get off...

they asked me to leave the room... 10 years later - i got the joke... haha...

oh yeah - Love American Style. Thanks DMC

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
re; Herb Alpert... Maybe the music style was distatsteful but he's no doubt one of the top trumpet players in the world.
Well, they were products of their very conformist times, regardless of their talent. I'll take Maynard Ferguson though and I have a soft spot for Blood Sweat and Tears.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I will give you that the Ed Sullivan show was far more interesting than Lawrence Welk. "thank-a-you sissy and bobby.." I am told he was the consummate control freak. If you ever watched his show, you surely noticed that everyone was smiling all the time, even when bobby was struggling to spin sissy around.:puke:

gorgonzola

Well, they were products of their very conformist times, regardless of their talent. I'll take Maynard Ferguson though and I have a soft spot for Blood Sweat and Tears.

as a horny lil 'boner back in the day this is where i got my fix - i actually wore this record out and replaced it
41hBk65cAJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

dmc

as a horny lil 'boner back in the day this is where i got my fix - i actually wore this record out and replaced it
41hBk65cAJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love that album...
I had the giant poster on the wall for years..