• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black flies

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
JimG. said:
Anything that masks carbon dioxide...that's what they zero in on.

Amusing anecdote...

Last year I brought a cooler of ice cream, packed in dry ice, up to a BBQ in the Whites. Besides learning that the net result were a whole bunch of ice-cream-flavored *rocks* that needed desperately to thaw before being eaten, the cooler's vent spout attracted every blackfly and mosquito in the area.

It was quite the site, all the bugs gathered around the spewing CO2.

JimG.

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
Amusing anecdote...

Last year I brought a cooler of ice cream, packed in dry ice, up to a BBQ in the Whites. Besides learning that the net result were a whole bunch of ice-cream-flavored *rocks* that needed desperately to thaw before being eaten, the cooler's vent spout attracted every blackfly and mosquito in the area.

It was quite the site, all the bugs gathered around the spewing CO2.

My worst black fly experience was during a fly fishing trip in the Laurentians up in Quebec. We drove for what seemed like hours on dirt roads, then hiked about 2 hours to reach a remote stream. It was filled with 12"+ brook trout, but there were literally clouds of black flys. It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.

The stream ran very cold, so as long as you were wading near the middle they left you alone. But when you emerged from the stream, they descended on any exposed skin with a vengeance. The back of my neck and ears go so bitten up that they turned red and got swollen and uncomfortably warm. I actually passed out on the ride back and my buddies thought they might have to bring me to an emergency room.

Chris I

hiked black mountain today. black flies came out at about 11 at the summit. didnt bite just hung out wtih you if you werent moving. another week and the southern dacks will be swarming

JimG.

Staff member
Chris I said:
hiked black mountain today. black flies came out at about 11 at the summit. didnt bite just hung out wtih you if you werent moving. another week and the southern dacks will be swarming

To answer a previous thread I believe you started Chris, I regret to report that I have yet to wet a fishing line this season. Pathetic considering that I have a trout stream running through my property.

Can't really complain, I skiied until Easter and the last few weekends have been devoted to yard work. I'm eyeing Saturday evening for some wading.

bigbog

Mike P. said:
They left me alone in the Catskills on 4/29 apparently they don't like garlic!!
That's it MikeP,
Besides..Vitamin B6(I ThiNk?), garlic is on the list....but then, it's a tradeoff...you do run the risk of chasing off most everyone else with you at the same time...
Would be great to find one single product that would do in all three: blackflies, mosquitoes, ticks..:cool:
JimG. said:
My worst black fly experience was during a fly fishing trip in the Laurentians up in Quebec. We drove for what seemed like hours on dirt roads, then hiked about 2 hours to reach a remote stream. It was filled with 12"+ brook trout, but there were literally clouds of black flys. It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.............. I actually passed out on the ride back and my buddies thought they might have to bring me to an emergency room....
Maine is highly overrated in comparison to the populations in Quebec. Those demons in the true remaining wilderness are hungry critters..

Steve

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
bigbog said:
Maine is highly overrated in comparison to the populations in Quebec. Those demons in the true remaining wilderness are hungry critters..

Steve

We were staying with an outfitter in northern Quebec and learned to stay in our cabin when they were most active. During those times, there were swarming masses of them on all of the windows of the cabin. It was creepy and almost scary.

I learned alot about Canadian beer in that cabin!

Kreature

Just curious what the name of the river in the Laurentiens is that you found the 12"+ Brookies?

Kreature

JimG.

Staff member
Kreature said:
Just curious what the name of the river in the Laurentiens is that you found the 12"+ Brookies?

Kreature

Riviere Chicotime...not completely sure about the spelling though.

Parts of it are off limits so that the trout can reproduce in peace and you need to get a map at a local bait store to make sure you're on a stretch that is open to fishing. I wandered about 100 yards into a controlled area and the local game warden was on me as quick as the black flies were.

bigbog

ski_resort_observer said:
There is a repellent made here in Maine that my family uses. They have tried alot of the other DEET free products and say it works well. It's called Buzz-Off, don't know if it's sold outside of Maine but the website is www.buzzoff.us.

I use the "new" Ole Time Woodsman which I assume is the "stinky" one you refer too. Yes, it's VERY stinky, kind of a pine tar smell on steriods, but it works great. 2 or 3 showers and your pretty much back to your old smelly self...lol
Agrreed SRO,
I picked up one the Buzz-Off treated bandanas....will try it out..hmmm, more than likely next week(once the rain will have ceased)

Steve

bigbog

JimG. said:
We were staying with an outfitter in northern Quebec and learned to stay in our cabin when they were most active. During those times, there were swarming masses of them on all of the windows of the cabin. It was creepy and almost scary.

I learned alot about Canadian beer in that cabin!
:lol: :lol: , JimG...those are the dangerous times....when the trout are feeding AND we have the right imitation. We who enjoy paddling and/or fishing REALLY become oblivious to the feeding frenzy of the flies at certain times...
Steve

knuckledragger

Thanks to this lovely rain and cool temps we should see an explosion in the bug population. Looks like that head net is going to get some use this spring. We have a camping trip planed for Groton (buug heaven) Stillwater c.g. the first weekend in june. Should be prime time by then.