• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black flies

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I hate the little critters. On a June 2-day backpack on the Bigelows last year I had a dozen bites on one upper arm alone.

So I couldn't help but laugh when I saw a bumper sticker this weekend reading "Save the Blackfly"

There's even a Blackfly Breeder's website out there.

What's your favorite tried-and-true blackfly avoidance method? Anyone had success with anything other than "stay home in June" ???

NHpowderhound

I own a headnet which works ok when wearing a ballcap. Dress in a light, light colored longsleeve poly shirt.I will be more likely to hike in June on a breezy day to help keep the critters off too. And last of all...DEET! But I try to put it on my clothing and not myself.
((*
*))NHPH

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
There are claims that DEET dissolves nylon or polyester; ever had problems with it wrecking your clothes at all?

I often will spray a bandanna and wrap that around my neck, it helps with the behind-the-ears attacks.

You mention light-colored; does it make a difference? Are the critters more drawn to dark colors?

Mike P.

Hike in the rain, hike when it's colder than usual in ME. Seems this strategy I've developed is more of a case of bad luck.

Color does help, stay moving & being above treeline usually helps, they don't fly very fast & others mentioned the wind.

DEET works great

In long contact I've seen it disolve plastic & dis-color bandanas. I seldom wear it, they don't seem to like garlic breath or garlic seeping from your pores... (Works for more famous movie blood suckers...)

bigbog

Ditto highpeaksdrifter:cool: ,
Pre-Memorial Day is ecstasy!....am in agreement with Mike P.
Tan or [off-]white cotton-mix fabrics seem to work best. Will have to check out what's marketed this year as the latest & greatest;-) ...but the reputation's pretty low....so who cares...;-)

SilentCal

I tell Cathie to shampoo first thing in the morning. They seem to be more aggressive to her then and leave me alone. Kidding

Seriously, Deet works but only for so long. I have sensitive skin and get some quite impressive rashes if i use too much. Menthol cough drops are most oddest thing that I have heard that keeps them at bay. I'll have to try it this year.

MtnMagic

In the Whites they hatch about May 9-10 in the southern section and May 14-15 here. I never thought DEET or skin-so-soft works. What folks use up here is that stinky Old Woodsman I think it's called. Loggers keep the chain saw going whenthey stop for lunch as the vile creatures don't like the odor (Not prctical for hikers unless one is doing trail maintenance.) A lot of m/f gardeners actually have a cig/cigar going and if you're upwind and don't mind the smell it does work. Campfires certainly works. Also don't use anything with a scent like soap, deoderant, etc. Light colors, long sleeves, and a face mask are part of my May-June gear and up high there are few. Spring time in the mountains -- WooHoo!!

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
There is a repellent made here in Maine that my family uses. They have tried alot of the other DEET free products and say it works well. It's called Buzz-Off, don't know if it's sold outside of Maine but the website is www.buzzoff.us.

I use the "new" Ole Time Woodsman which I assume is the "stinky" one you refer too. Yes, it's VERY stinky, kind of a pine tar smell on steriods, but it works great. 2 or 3 showers and your pretty much back to your old smelly self...lol

NHpowderhound

One of my favorite spring hikes is the Caps Ridge Trail. It gets you above treeline SO fast! Those blackflies only have a little over a thousand vert to munch on you!
((*
*))NHPH

Sky

MtMagic stole my thunder. I was a forestry major and spent 6 weeks in the Maine woods (Mid May to early July) as part of the school.

Woodsman's Fly dope (or Olde Woodsman's, whatev) and I started smokeing a pipe (erraahhhh.....regular tobacco) and a hat (one of those felt jobbers) with Woodsman's on the brim...long sleeves, no shampoo/deoderant/smelly soap....and never stop moving.

Funny how at the end of the day when you jumped in the truck...the blackflies would follow you in and suddenly seem to realize "Egad, we're trapped". They'd head for the windows and we'd mush em. Ahhhh...revenge is (was) mine.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I've noticed that - get in the car and the blackflies just head for the windows! Thank goodness, because if they still were biting while trying to drive I'd end up off the road...
:)

Mike P.

They left me alone in the Catskills on 4/29 apparently they don't like garlic!!

Sky

I was just thinking that with all this recent rain and cool temps...and NOW this awesome blast of warm spring temps....along witht he lawn growing likie mad...the black flies will be out in force, soon to be followed by the mosquitos.

I'm wondering how bad the black flies will be @ Wachusett this Saturdya for the cleanup.

JimG.

Staff member
Mike P. said:
They left me alone in the Catskills on 4/29 apparently they don't like garlic!!

Anything that masks carbon dioxide...that's what they zero in on.

SkiDog

JimG. said:
Anything that masks carbon dioxide...that's what they zero in on.

Hmmmm with David Blane attempting to hold his breath for 9 minutes next week..maybe holding breath is an option..HA.....i'll stick with sprays and tolerance.

M