• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

User Reputations

Do you like the new User Reputations system?

• Yes

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I don't get it

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ga2ski

marcski said:
There should be a way to give skier reputation, based on one's skiing/riding expertise, in addition to just posting expertise. :)

Have a posting rep and a skier rep. I can a see a few people getting a good skier rating and a bad post rep and vice versa.

So the higher the skier rep . . . the more it costs to ski with that person at an AZ outing.;-)

ga2ski

The forums are getting way to geeky for meBring back to old simple forums.

AWF so I didn't mean to disapprove your post I thought I was voting for someone else.

I can't wait to go negaitive on my rep.

awf170

ga2ski said:
The forums are getting way to geeky for meBring back to old simple forums.

AWF so I didn't mean to disapprove your post I thought I was voting for someone else.

I can't wait to go negaitive on my rep.
Sweet. Now I have the lowest rating on the forum:-D

But not for long....:lol:(nevermind my negitive rep to you didn't even count for anything :lol:)

Hopefully Greg can reverse this junk and get me back to normal.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i am okay with the whole reputation thing as long as it doesn't become silly. i think T4T's rep'ing is on the silly side. i don't know what about it that strikes me as odd. it kinda becomes a clicky thing, ya know? and clicks make it easy for people on the inside to chill with each other but might put off new posters. as long as it doesn't become the AZ click in the house, cool by me. and i would hope negatives would be avoided at all most all costs. let's just not turn it into a silly popularity contest and use it more as a statistic to show newbies or who ever folks that make a lot of great posts. the interesting aspect of the reputation system is it balances the post count factor. in other words, a post whore like greg ;) :lol: would need some reputation to make it look like all those posts were actually informative or contributing in a good way.

:beer:

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
in other words, a post whore like greg ;) :lol: would need some reputation to make it look like all those posts were actually informative or contributing in a good way.
Wah-wah-WHAT?!?!? :blink: :-?

That's it. Negative rep coming your way... ;)

Seriously though. I agree with your comments. I plan to use the rep system, but I don't plan to overuse it and it will mostly be for when I'd like to commend someone for a quality post.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
riverc0il said:
. in other words, a post whore like greg ;) :lol: would need some reputation to make it look like all those posts were actually informative or contributing in a good way.

:lol: I needed a good laugh!!! Sorry Greg:p

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
in other words, a post whore like greg ;) :lol: would need some reputation to make it look like all those posts were actually informative or contributing in a good way.

:lol: I would have repped ya for that, but I already repped ya for something else... :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's all about balance. Some will focus on the skiing and hiking. Others will focus on the other stuff. As long as we can make both camps happy, that's cool.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
It's all about balance. Some will focus on the skiing and hiking. Others will focus on the other stuff. As long as we can make both camps happy, that's cool.
Agreed. I just feel it's another feature that helps strengthen the community here. It's a great way to give kudos to someone that has some lasting effect. You don't have to use it if you don't want to...

Greg

Staff member
I added a poll to this thread. Please vote.

noski

I Don't Get It

Not that I don't get the technology part, I don't get why, in this particular forum, it would be useful or beneficial. I will watch awhile and see if I can find some redeeming value in having this data available. I think users in this forum are generally respectful and post entertaining or informational items. Those who flame are quickly extinguished. Those who SPAM are zapped away, so, I am yet to be convinced of the value of this feature. I'll wait.

bvibert

Staff member
noski said:
Not that I don't get the technology part, I don't get why, in this particular forum, it would be useful or beneficial. I will watch awhile and see if I can find some redeeming value in having this data available. I think users in this forum are generally respectful and post entertaining or informational items. Those who flame are quickly extinguished. Those who SPAM are zapped away, so, I am yet to be convinced of the value of this feature. I'll wait.
Its a skier/boarder thing, you wouldn't undersatnd... ;)

I think it has some value, there are some folks who post nothing but fluff and have high post counts. That might make a newby think that person actually knows what they're talking about based on their post count. Ok, so what that it doesn't happen too often... This might be fun anyway... If its not fun and instead causes problems I'm sure it'll be shut off again...

Greg

Staff member
Until now the only metric for evaluating the integrity of a user is post count. As Brian indicates, a high post count doesn't necessarily mean the user is helpful or even civil. This system will not impact the standard functions of the board in any way. If you want to use it, do so. If not, don't. Change is difficult for some folks, but let's not worry about it too much. I don't think the Rep system is going to alter the landscape of the AlpineZone community all that much. The Rep system shouldn't determine how/what you post as most folks are very civil with what they post. Also don't take neg reps personal (I've already got one). With that said, don't give neg reps for silly reasons like bad spelling or grammar. Leave constructive feedback if you do neg rep and remember your "votes" are visibile to the user you're repping.

Let's give this some time to see how it goes. Eventually, those that deserve high reps will emerge. Those that deserve a low or neg rep will as well. If we detect a lot of abuse, we'll just turn it off. If a large majority vote in this thread's poll that they don't like it, I'll turn it off as well so if you feel strongly one way or the other, please vote.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
bvibert said:
Its a skier/boarder thing, you wouldn't undersatnd... ;)

I think it has some value, there are some folks who post nothing but fluff and have high post counts. That might make a newby think that person actually knows what they're talking about based on their post count. Ok, so what that it doesn't happen too often... This might be fun anyway... If its not fun and instead causes problems I'm sure it'll be shut off again...

*Insert appropriate Marc reference here*

This is a little out of my league. I probably won't use it. I'm not sure why. Apathy, maybe.

I think it is a handy thing for new members who seek advice, however it will be of little use to the users who have been around a while and the regulars who have a good handle on everyone else.

Greg

Staff member
Bob R said:
I think the poll was great idea. The 1st time I have like a poll. We all can change.:idea:
Thanks Bob. If this is something the community overwhelmingly doesn't favor, I'll turn it off. The opposite is also true. I highly value the members' opinions so I'll proceed based on the majority vote.

WICKEDBUMPER

reputation for what? BC skiing, hiking, mountain biking, racing, bumps, skiing greens well, skiing blues well, bumps, setting up trips, trip reports, jokes, great driving directions, how about great skiing instruction?

no to mention, this board has 3 main sections now. Skiing/Riding, Biking, and Hiking. if this system is to have any credibility, you cannot have people earning points in hiking for example and having those points show up when that person is posting on the skiing board.
with the above argument, some newbie sees this in the Skiing/Riding board and what does he think ? -
JOEBLOW
# of posts:350
rep points:10
joeblow looks like he knows his skiing. hell, Joe's a big skier.
funny thing is, Joe mountain bikes, or Hikes, and skis 2 days a year but gets his rep points for posting great non-skiing advice. Thats odd, because Joe just wrote a paragraph about off-piste in the skiing section.
the rep points told you NOTHING about joe. whats his ski level? whats his skiing style? does he hike for turns? etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.