• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

User Reputations

Do you like the new User Reputations system?

• Yes

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I don't get it

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
Still a tight race between yes and no. Perhaps I'll let this poll run for a few more weeks and if there is not a clear winner, I'll start a new one. That will give some of the undecideds a chance to vote after having some time to evaluate the rep system. It may also cause folks that voted for or against it to change their vote...

highpeaksdrifter

Greg said:
Still a tight race between yes and no. Perhaps I'll let this poll run for a few more weeks and if there is not a clear winner, I'll start a new one. That will give some of the undecideds a chance to vote after having some time to evaluate the rep system. It may also cause folks that voted for or against it to change their vote...

I've come to the conclusion that I likr rep., but not rep. power. We live in a country where every persons vote counts the same, so how can our forum be so unamerican? ;)

Greg

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
I've come to the conclusion that I likr rep., but not rep. power. We live in a country where every persons vote counts the same, so how can our forum be so unamerican? ;)
Thanks HPD. Interesting take on it. I guess the system is designed to be a bit weighted, i.e. give the long-standing members a bit more "power" when repping. Dunno - makes sense to me, I guess.

awf170

Greg said:
Thanks HPD. Interesting take on it. I guess the system is designed to be a bit weighted, i.e. give the long-standing members a bit more "power" when repping. Dunno - makes sense to me, I guess.

I think rep power should be based soley on how much rep you have. Amount of posts and years here really doesn't mean that you may not be an idiot. Maybe 1 pount of power per 50 points you have?

hammer

highpeaksdrifter said:
We live in a country where every persons vote counts the same
At the risk of venturing into a political statement (and risk losing reputation points), I'll dispute this quote with two words: electoral college.

I actually still don't get this whole reputation rating thing...if someone likes what you have to say, they respond positively, and if they don't, they definitely respond otherwise. As long as this is done in a respectful manner, that's all I care about...:razz:

Vortex

Ironic......
I agree with Hammer. I gave him a rep point though cause its how we are set up. Excellent point. IMO I still favor a personal message.

highpeaksdrifter

hammer said:
At the risk of venturing into a political statement (and risk losing reputation points), I'll dispute this quote with two words: electoral college.

Your point is valid when compared to electing a president every 4 years. However, there are thousands of elections every year for a wide variety of offices where each vote counts the same.

In the AZ electoral college Greg is California. :)

highpeaksdrifter

Bob R said:
Ironic......
I agree with Hammer. I gave him a rep point though cause its how we are set up. Excellent point. IMO I still favor a personal message.

Your rep power is 5, so how do you give 1 point? When I do it they get all 3 of mine.

I'm just trying to learn the system.

Vortex

Again your right. I gave my rep power(5).
I gave high praise in the 1,000 post thread about you. Words mean more to me in general than a number.
No particaular post to add rep points to..
Its years on the board, total number of posts. I think I'll leave this thread know.

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
I think rep power should be based soley on how much rep you have. Amount of posts and years here really doesn't mean that you may not be an idiot. Maybe 1 pount of power per 50 points you have?
I see your point. I simply set this up with the default settings as far as rep power. I could change it based on rep power only, but I think the balance of post count, years here and rep power is pretty fair. It's sort of a reward for being a committed active member of the community over time. If I did change it, I'd probably have to wipe out everyone's rep point status and start over in order to be fair.

highpeaksdrifter said:
Your rep power is 5, so how do you give 1 point? When I do it they get all 3 of mine.

I'm just trying to learn the system.
When you give rep points, you alter the recipients rep points count positively or negatively based on your rep power. It's all or none. You can't select how many points to give. As far as my obscene rep power, well, I think I deserve some credit for all those years of talking to myself when I first started this forum... ;) :lol:

JimG.

Staff member
I like the rep thing. I don't often apply it to a particular post, but I find that certain posts are unique to the poster and I like to give positive rep to folks who add something good to the site or just to my day.

Been handing out a bunch today; if I missed you now, I'll get you later!

Oooops...I think I'm repped out for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.