• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane over South Dakota?

loafer89

I have heard discussion that the track of some hurricanes may be up the east coast this year. A major one hits us every 20 years on average and Gloria was the last in 1985, so we are due.

A 1938 type hurricane would be an even greater disaster for Long Island this time around. However I feel little pitty for people who build million dollar plus homes on sand dunes and stilts:roll: :dunce: especially on the south shore.

loafer89

Johnskiismore said:
Don't forget about Bob in the fall of 1991.

Bob barely clipped the east end of Long Island and does not qualify as making landfall with it's eyewall on the island according to the NWS. I remember that storm well and saw some of the damage that it did to the Hamptons/South Fork.

I also remember the eye of Gloria passing right over my parents house:-o really neat thing to see. My favorite hurricane story is from the 1938 hurricane. A man in Easthampton bought a barometer from Abercrombie and Fitch and was dismayed that the dial read Hurricane and would not budge. Furious, the man went to the post office and sent it back for a refund. When he finally could get back home, his house was gone:-o

BeanoNYC

ALLSKIING said:
That is wacky...Although I don't see an eye. I have a bad feeling about LI this year.. I just checked my hurricane ins.

The only island to completely disappear from a hurricane (from what I understand) was off of Breezy Point on the Rockaway Peninsula (Geographically Long Island, but part of NYC.) It was a vacation island for the wealthy and political elite of NYC, such as Boss Tweed. "Hog Island" blew away in the 1890's. To this day, dishes and other artifacts from Hog Island will wash up out in Breezy Point. I would do anything to get my find a piece of history like that on the beach.

ctenidae

During one of the many hurricanes I sat through in NC, I was looking out the window and saw a couch being blown down the street. A couple of hours later, the eye passed over and I saw teh same couch coming back up the street. I always wondered if it ended up back where it started.

My dog absolutely refused to get off the porch during the whole storm. All of them. Never known a dog to hold it that long.

loafer89

Here is a neat picture of Gloria on September 27th 1985:

Gloriasat1.jpg

The eyewall is roughly on the Nassau/Queens broder in this picture and it passed right over my parents house in Queens.

loafer89

BeanoNYC said:
The only island to completely disappear from a hurricane (from what I understand) was off of Breezy Point on the Rockaway Peninsula (Geographically Long Island, but part of NYC.) It was a vacation island for the wealthy and political elite of NYC, such as Boss Tweed. "Hog Island" blew away in the 1890's. To this day, dishes and other artifacts from Hog Island will wash up out in Breezy Point. I would do anything to get my find a piece of history like that on the beach.

I was just reading about that hurricane, it hit the area where Kennedy Airport is today on August 23rd, 1893 as a category 2 storm. Hog Island did indeed go to the hogs with that storm.

The domesday senario is for a category 2-3 to hit the area of lower New York Bay and cause a massive tidal surge that would leave alot of Manhattan on the "damp" side.

BeanoNYC

loafer89 said:
I was just reading about that hurricane, it hit the area where Kennedy Airport is today on August 23rd, 1893 as a category 2 storm. Hog Island did indeed go to the hogs with that storm.

Where JFK stands today and Hog island were no more than a few miles from each other. I'm smack in the middle of the two.

hogisland8ui.jpg

BeanoNYC

NYDrew said:
we were to buy a house the day of gloria. the house got destroyed, we (my parents) never signed.

Where was the house? I remember going through Tackapusha a few days after Gloria, absolutely amazed at all the trees that were knocked down.