• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moss traded

deadheadskier

Staff member
they used a top 10 pick two years ago on Mayo. If there is a player they covet, they'll use the pick.

also, I think its nearly a given that rookie pay scale will be managed differently in the next CBA.

true, they did use number 10. It does fall off quite a bit from 1st pick to 10th.

Pk Player Pos. Team Status Contract
1. Jake Long OT Miami Signed 5 years, $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed)
2. Chris Long DE St. Louis Signed 6 years, $56.5 million ($29M guaranteed)
3. Matt Ryan QB Atlanta Signed 6 years, $72 million ($34M guaranteed)
4. Darren McFadden RB Oakland Signed 6 years, $60 million ($26M guaranteed)
5. Glenn Dorsey DT Kansas City Signed 5 years, $51 million ($23M guaranteed)
6. Vernon Gholston DE N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $50 million ($21M guaranteed)
7. Sedrick Ellis DT New Orleans Signed 5 years, $49 million ($19.5M guaranteed)
8. Derrick Harvey DE Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $33.4 million ($17.177M guaranteed)
9. Keith Rivers LB Cincinnati Signed 6 years, $23 million ($15.6M guaranteed)
10. Jerod Mayo LB New England Signed 5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8M guaranteed)

I think the big hang up is the Owners will want to see a decrease in rookie contracts, but still be able to control the player for 6-7 years.

ctenidae

I traded Moss once. Got some lichen, thought it was a pretty good deal, since it's moss and algae.

Wait- what?

SkiDork

true, they did use number 10. It does fall off quite a bit from 1st pick to 10th.

Pk Player Pos. Team Status Contract
1. Jake Long OT Miami Signed 5 years, $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed)
2. Chris Long DE St. Louis Signed 6 years, $56.5 million ($29M guaranteed)
3. Matt Ryan QB Atlanta Signed 6 years, $72 million ($34M guaranteed)
4. Darren McFadden RB Oakland Signed 6 years, $60 million ($26M guaranteed)
5. Glenn Dorsey DT Kansas City Signed 5 years, $51 million ($23M guaranteed)
6. Vernon Gholston DE N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $50 million ($21M guaranteed)
7. Sedrick Ellis DT New Orleans Signed 5 years, $49 million ($19.5M guaranteed)
8. Derrick Harvey DE Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $33.4 million ($17.177M guaranteed)
9. Keith Rivers LB Cincinnati Signed 6 years, $23 million ($15.6M guaranteed)
10. Jerod Mayo LB New England Signed 5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8M guaranteed)

I think the big hang up is the Owners will want to see a decrease in rookie contracts, but still be able to control the player for 6-7 years.

ouch... Vernon Gholston. Another stellar Jets draft pick...

deadheadskier

Staff member
ouch... Vernon Gholston. Another stellar Jets draft pick...

does he still even play?

I remember the Pats were very high on him. Thought he was a Dwight Freeny like light DE that would terrorize QBs.

Mayo is tackling machine, but I'd still like to see more big plays out of him. Only, 2.5 career sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles. Solid player, deserving of the ROY given the way he played, but I'm not sure he'll ever be an elite MLB in the NFL.

Beetlenut

I traded Moss once. Got some lichen, thought it was a pretty good deal, since it's moss and algae.

Wait- what?

Hey we're still covered, we got Crumpler!

SO how many Pats fans were still thinking Moss hasn't lost a step, when he dropped a sure TD pass at the end of the hard fought first half in that Miami game? Right in his hands! His only role on this team this year was going to be as a decoy to open up the field. Guess he didn't like that idea. After the Bengals game, he asked to be traded. I can only imagine they said, "Ah,... NO"! So he figured he'd shoot his way out of town. The Pats had to change up their Offense. They were too predictable. (See the last Play-off game). They began that with the last draft, so the writing was already on the wall. They're in year two of a three year rebuilding phase, while still remaining competitive. How many other teams can/could do that. They've gone from one of the oldest teams to one of the youngest teams in less than two years. Not an easy task. Remember all the talk about getting all these old veterans and how they needed to get younger. Well younger takes time to coach up. One thing you can't deny, the defense is noticably faster this year. I think the Moss decision will be remembered as a prudent one down the road, once the rookies begin to gell.

crank

I agree with Beetlenut in that I see the Pats as in a rebuilding mode. They are still competitive but not the team they once were. I don't think Moss is going to get the Vikings to the Superbowl because I think Favre is done. However, as a Jets fan I wish New England had waited another week.

drjeff

I agree with Beetlenut in that I see the Pats as in a rebuilding mode. They are still competitive but not the team they once were. I don't think Moss is going to get the Vikings to the Superbowl because I think Favre is done. However, as a Jets fan I wish New England had waited another week.

Gotta agree with much of this. Moss being dealt, really allows a defense to crowd the line now more against the Pats, since without Moss, unless they pull trade off ASAP, they really don't have a deep threat (Edelson is decent, but by no means does he have that "jump ball" ability that Moss has), and I fear that some of the great success that Brady has had this season with Welker and Hernandez in particular is because in the general when #81 was in the game, the safeties had to respect Moss and not cheat up.

I'm guessing in 2 weeks against the Ravens, we'll see a whole bunch of quick inside slants to Welker/Hernandez/Gronkowski, and very little of Brady throwing more than 10 to maybe 15 yards down field. If the Pats can establish the run, who knows, but my gut is telling me that either in actual points from him, or points created by the defense respecting him and playing a touch softer on other receivers, that the Pats took 7 points off the board per game today :(

deadheadskier

Staff member
One thing I would hope to see with Moss's salary gone is some renegotiating with Mankins. Top 5 Guard in the game, 28 years old. With Matt Light getting up there in years, I think it's a good investment to lock up a Probowl leftside lineman in his prime for Brady's golden years.

2knees

One thing I would hope to see with Moss's salary gone is some renegotiating with Mankins. Top 5 Guard in the game, 28 years old. With Matt Light getting up there in years, I think it's a good investment to lock up a Probowl leftside lineman in his prime for Brady's golden years.

I had no idea Mankins was that good. It's hard to recognize good line play

midd

Mankins is an asshole and Dan Connolly has done just fine filling in for him. He'll show up in week 10 to receive service year credit and move on to a new team next year.

As for the departure of Moss' salary, irrelevant in the Mankins discussion. The Pats pegged him at a certain value, made an offer and he turned it down. There is no salary cap, and thus no real new flexibility created. They won't budge from their valuation just because they're no longer cutting game checks to Moss.

dr jeff, who is edelson you're referring to? edelman? as a converted quarterback edelman is probably the furthest thing from a deep threat they have in the WR corps. Tate on the other has the speed to potentially develop into a field-stretching threat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mankins is an asshole and Dan Connolly has done just fine filling in for him. He'll show up in week 10 to receive service year credit and move on to a new team next year.

As for the departure of Moss' salary, irrelevant in the Mankins discussion. The Pats pegged him at a certain value, made an offer and he turned it down. There is no salary cap, and thus no real new flexibility created. They won't budge from their valuation just because they're no longer cutting game checks to Moss.

dr jeff, who is edelson you're referring to? edelman? as a converted quarterback edelman is probably the furthest thing from a deep threat they have in the WR corps. Tate on the other has the speed to potentially develop into a field-stretching threat.

You never know. Maybe with the extra coin, they may come up some in their contract offer to Mankins. We don't know the true story with Mankins and the Pats salary negotiating. He claims he was promised one figure before last season and received something different in the end. Who's lying? Him or the Pats?
It appears they came up some with Wilfork.

While I recognize Connolly has done well, the Pat's O line is aging. Light, Neil, Kaczur (hurt) and Koppen are all North of 30. It would be nice to have Connolly, Mankins and Vollmer locked up to add continuity for the next 4-5 years. You can be certain the Pats will draft both Oline and Dline in the coming draft. Oldest positions on the field for them.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
. I don't think Moss is going to get the Vikings to the Superbowl because I think Favre is done..
You don't go from having your best year in 19 years to done. Vikings are having problems with there O-line and very much need a deep WR to open things up for AP and the slot WR. Time will tell.

Last edited:

drjeff

Dieon Branch to the Patriots. ;)

and a good thing he did. Wouldn't have won yesterday without him. great game. :beer:

Solid game from Branch yesterday, no doubt! The best thing was the Patriots during the course of that game went from the weaker of the 2 teams on the field by far during much of the 1st 1/2 and into the 3rd quarter, to finishing that game as the dominant team by far in the 4th quarter (and did so against argueably one of the best teams in the NFL this season), and that was a really good thing to see as a Patriots fan, especially given a few games earlier this year where they had great difficulty finishing a game off!

Going to be interesting to see what happens Sunday, with the road trip to San Diego, as I don't think its an exageration to say that the Chargers need to win that game to keep their playoff hopes alive

WJenness

I couldn't believe the difference between the first drive for the ravens and then the rest of the game...

The pats were actually able to get off the field on third down after that first drive... That was the first time this season that they've actually been able to do that.

That was an encouraging change, for sure.

-w

Geoff

Going to be interesting to see what happens Sunday, with the road trip to San Diego, as I don't think its an exageration to say that the Chargers need to win that game to keep their playoff hopes alive

Antonio Gates is injured. That's gotta help the cause.

Given how strong the Jets are this year, New England pretty much has to treat every game as a must-win, too.

ChileMass

I couldn't believe the difference between the first drive for the ravens and then the rest of the game...

The pats were actually able to get off the field on third down after that first drive... That was the first time this season that they've actually been able to do that.

That was an encouraging change, for sure.

-w

Good points. Maybe the kids on defense are starting to drink Bill's kool-aid. The young linebackers (Mayo, Spikes, Cunningham) are FAST and athletic. Plus, Wilfork played a hell of a game.

On offense, a solid but unspectacular effort. They could have won the game in regulation if they'd gotten that last 1st down, but I won't argue with success. This offense strategy worked in 2001-2005, and it probably will again now.

Chile predicts Pats roll on Sunday vs banged-up San Diego: Pats 33, SD 17.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The only thing that really pissed me off was not letting Goskowski attempt the 62 yarder at the end of regulation. Had he hit it, it would've been BIG points on my fantasy team.