• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moss traded

2knees

the pats make some of the strangest decisions. I get trading the guy if you feel like this is a lost year, and with that defense, maybe it is. But taking Moss out of that offense right now leaves you with Welker as the main reciever. And as good as he is at what he does, stretching the field is definitely not one of his strong points. Nobody is gonna double team Edleman and whoever else they have to replace Moss. Guess where those double teams are going to go now. To welker.

to me, it doesnt make any sense, just like trading seymour last year made no sense. Bet they would like him back right now, even though they would never admit it.

WJenness

the pats make some of the strangest decisions. I get trading the guy if you feel like this is a lost year, and with that defense, maybe it is. But taking Moss out of that offense right now leaves you with Welker as the main reciever. And as good as he is at what he does, stretching the field is definitely not one of his strong points. Nobody is gonna double team Edleman and whoever else they have to replace Moss. Guess where those double teams are going to go now. To welker.

to me, it doesnt make any sense, just like trading seymour last year made no sense. Bet they would like him back right now, even though they would never admit it.

Apparently he asked for a trade after week 1...

No denying his production is down this year... If he doesn't want to be here anymore, why keep him around?

sure, no one else is going to stretch the defense like he does, but I'm wondering if Bill felt like he had no choice other than to move him.

As fans, we'll probably never know the whole story.

However, I expect him to put up AT LEAST three TDs when Minnesota comes to Foxboro on Halloween...

-w

bigbog

If trade goes through...(just my $.01)...think there are some perochial egos present in mgmnt/coach.... Think some people in power are too young to remember Oakland A's of early 70s....3-4? world series titles with fistfights in dugout...few+ occasions = love, off the field, doesn't have to exist for successful performance. **But I'm talking like I've followed the Pats = haven't...so I'm about as informed as the jury-member = "Now which one is OJ".. It's a business...as smitty says in a few replies down the queue..

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member

Not a fan of the trade. He produces without stats more than maybe any receiver in the game. The great tight ends they drafted that have been wide open in the middle of the field will not be anymore. Brandon Tate is a speedster, but only 1 guy will follow him downfield, not 2. Maybe Taylor Price is showing some flashes in practice too. Maybe they're trying to deal for Vincent Jackson. Not sure Bill would want another head case, but you never know.

I'm guessing the CBA showdown has a lot to do with it. I'm sure more will come out of it. No doubt, a big part of it is Belichiks ego that we won 3 titles with no name receivers and could do it again........but definitely not with such a young defense with few playmakers.

As for the Seymour trade. Jury is still out until they use the 1st round draft pick. He's a great player, but he hasn't produced a ton in Oakland.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Purely a business move. He wanted an extension, when they said NO** he became unhappy. So they let him play out the end of the year and lose him to free agency for nothing? Not a chance.

** With the uncapped year coming up and the possible work stoppage, Moss was NEVER getting an extension (see also Logan Mankins). Period. This also means they aren't going to sign him to a new deal at the conclusion of his contract until the new CBA is in place, which (my guess) leads to an even more pissed-off Randy Moss, which leads to Randy entering free agency.

I gotta go with the Patriots on this one. Mankins is a damn good offensive lineman, but this team hasn't looked too bad without him. The longer he sits on the shelf, the less valuable he becomes to this team. The same goes for Randy - yes he can stretch the field and open space for Welker to operate but I watched this offense go from dink-n-dunk passing to deep threat with the addition of Moss. I don't see it too big of a stretch to go back to the short-passing, clock eating game they used to play.

WJenness

Purely a business move. He wanted an extension, when they said NO** he became unhappy. So they let him play out the end of the year and lose him to free agency for nothing? Not a chance.

A bit of a red-herring, I'm afraid...

If Moss were to walk at the end of the season, they would have gotten a 3rd round pick as compensation anyway...

All they managed to do was move their third round pick up (as Minnesota is not a very good team this year), and save themselves $5MM

-w

snowmonster

If trade goes through...(just my $.01)...think there are some perochial egos present in mgmnt/coach.... Think some people in power are too young to remember Oakland A's of early 70s....3-4? world series titles with fistfights in dugout...few+ occasions = love, off the field, doesn't have to exist for successful performance.

Yeah, I remember those A's. Throw in the Bronx Zoo from '77 and '78 and you have the antithesis of what the Patriot clubhouse is supposed to be like.

Back on topic: let's not forget how much of a slacker Moss can be when he wants out. I'm hoping this will be good in the long run. Bridge year, definitely. But, you have to wonder how many bridge years Brady has left in that arm.

2knees

As for the Seymour trade. Jury is still out until they use the 1st round draft pick. He's a great player, but he hasn't produced a ton in Oakland.

I couldnt name one other d-lineman on the raiders. Granted, i havent (nor would i) watched the raiders play but i'd be willing to bet he's getting double teamed on a regular basis. Also, i cant believe he's exactly motivated playing on that shitstorm of a team.

2knees

** With the uncapped year coming up and the possible work stoppage, Moss was NEVER getting an extension (see also Logan Mankins). Period. This also means they aren't going to sign him to a new deal at the conclusion of his contract until the new CBA is in place, which (my guess) leads to an even more pissed-off Randy Moss, which leads to Randy entering free agency.

I gotta go with the Patriots on this one. Mankins is a damn good offensive lineman, but this team hasn't looked too bad without him. The longer he sits on the shelf, the less valuable he becomes to this team. The same goes for Randy - yes he can stretch the field and open space for Welker to operate but I watched this offense go from dink-n-dunk passing to deep threat with the addition of Moss. I don't see it too big of a stretch to go back to the short-passing, clock eating game they used to play.

Of all the 3 major sports, the NFL is the biggest win now league. Guys lose it so fast, get hurt, cut etc. I know we're only 4 games into the season, but I cant see the pats having enough offense without him to overcome the gaping deficiencies on their defense. And as far as the dink and dunk, that was primarily in '01. they had branch and givens in 03 and 04. And as much as it may be hard for pats fans to admit, '01 was a fluke. Hell, they shouldn't have even made it to Pittsburgh, never mind beating the rams due to Martz' pigheadedness. i.e.: not running faulk enough.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I couldnt name one other d-lineman on the raiders. Granted, i havent (nor would i) watched the raiders play but i'd be willing to bet he's getting double teamed on a regular basis. Also, i cant believe he's exactly motivated playing on that shitstorm of a team.

probably does see a lot of double teams

I think much of that decision also had to do with the need to re-sign Wilfork. Wilfork is much more valuable to Belichik due to his ability to play Nose Tackle. Wilfork has also been more durable over his career. Wilfork is 3 years younger too.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want Seymour on the team. I just don't think the team wanted to pay both players mega contracts.

midd

If Moss were to walk at the end of the season, they would have gotten a 3rd round pick as compensation anyway...

All they managed to do was move their third round pick up (as Minnesota is not a very good team this year), and save themselves $5MM

-w

compensation would be a pick after the 5th round (because he is/was a 10 year veteran) in the 2012 draft.

there is a material difference between 3rd in 2011 and post-5th in 2012.

Geoff

-w

That's not how the NFL compensatory pick formula works. The Pats would get a sandwich round pick between the 3rd and 4th rounds for Moss only if they didn't sign a free agent to offset it. Chances are pretty good that New England would not be elegible for that draft pick.

Moss had a big signing bonus and was $9+ million of cap space that is now freed up. I find it hard to believe that New England is done with their deals for the season.

As it stands today, New England has double picks in the first four rounds of the 2011 NFL draft. In addition to their own picks, they have Oakland's #1, Carolina's #2, Minnesota's #3, and Denver's #4. Oakland's pick will likely be a top-10 pick. Carolina still hasn't won a game so that's like having an extra #1 pick. New England in 2011, if there is no strike, will be even younger and faster.

2knees

compensation would be a pick after the 5th round (because he is/was a 10 year veteran) in the 2012 draft.

there is a material difference between 3rd in 2011 and post-5th in 2012.

the way the pats draft picks have worked out lately, it really doesnt matter what round the pick is in......

midd

cap space is irrelevant, they are presently operating an a cap-free environment as part of the final year of the CBA.

if they end up with three players from alabama like they did from UF this year, I'll be more than happy with the next draft.

Geoff

And as much as it may be hard for pats fans to admit, '01 was a fluke. Hell, they shouldn't have even made it to Pittsburgh, never mind beating the rams due to Martz' pigheadedness. i.e.: not running faulk enough.

There's a video of Belichick running off the field at the end of the Super Bowl saying "I can't believe we won with that team".

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is the CBA showdown before the draft or after?

I don't have huge faith in the Patriots drafting ability these days. They have done pretty well at trading draft picks for Veterans.

Depending how the CBA works out, there could be a lot of teams looking to unload vets for picks.

One thing I do hope to see come out of the CBA is they have to re-work the rookie payscale. It's utterly ridiculous the number of top 5 picks over the past decade who have received mega deals out of college and end up completely sucking at the NFL. I'm sure in some of those cases, the player was like screw the gym, I got ten million dollars, I'm set for life. Make them earn those megadeals.

deadheadskier

Staff member
draft will take place next year no matter what.

yes, but the outcome of the CBA could dramatically change a team's strategy.

If the rookie salary situation is the same, no way New England keeps a potential top 10 pick from Oakland.

HD333

Welcome back to the Pats offense circa 2001-2005. Brady completing passes to 8 guys in a game, hopefully moving the ball methodically down field to score which will keep the young D off the field.

Man I wish I didn't give away my Vikings tickets for the Holloween game.

Last edited:

midd

yes, but the outcome of the CBA could dramatically change a team's strategy.

If the rookie salary situation is the same, no way New England keeps a potential top 10 pick from Oakland.

they used a top 10 pick two years ago on Mayo. If there is a player they covet, they'll use the pick.

also, I think its nearly a given that rookie pay scale will be managed differently in the next CBA.