• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moss traded

Geoff

I honestly thought the Patriots were going to get slaughered after that 8 1/2 minute drive they gave up to open the first quarter followed by a 3 & out.

WJenness

I honestly thought the Patriots were going to get slaughered after that 8 1/2 minute drive they gave up to open the first quarter followed by a 3 & out.

I thought the same thing... I said to myself, 'man, it's the Jets game all over again...'

-w

Mildcat

I hope any other team claims Moss, I don't want to see him back with the Pats. I like the chemistry the team has now. Why are the biggest Prima Donna's usually wide receivers? I hope he ends up in Buffalo! :uzi:

drjeff

I hope any other team claims Moss, I don't want to see him back with the Pats. I like the chemistry the team has now. Why are the biggest Prima Donna's usually wide receivers? I hope he ends up in Buffalo! :uzi:

As long as Branch's leg/knee injury isn't too bad, I'd say the chances of the Pats claiming Moss off the waiver wire are about equal to the chances of a person getting struck by lightning. Not zero, but mighty close to it. The speed at which the Pats traded him a month ago suggests that there was a bunch going on behind the scenes that wasn't good for the team, and I somehow doubt that his post-game Patriots/Belicheck "lovefest" on Sunday did much to change that :rolleyes:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
This is more drama that 8th graders have at a school dance... :roll:

And from the "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" department: Logan Mankins decides to man-up and sign his 1-year tender (for a lot less than he could have in the summer, reportedly) instead of risk sitting out this year, and possibly the next due to a potential work stoppage, and still not be eligible for free agency.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/11/01/report-pro-bowl-guard-logan-mankins-finally-decides-to-show-up/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/11/mankins_to_repo.html

drjeff

I think that if anything, what Moss's last few weeks in MN showed him, is that while the Patriots organization may not be perfect, it's a heck of alot better than many others out there, especially if a player wants atleast a decent chance of being on a competitive team each year.

Bottomline line, as Moss said in his podium session after the Cincy game week 1, Football is a business. The Patriots, maybe moreso than other teams keep this concept at the forefront of their player negotiations, and Belicheck by no means is a big public cheerleader. So if you've got a player, who thinks that they're millions better than anyone else in the league and has an ego that needs to be stroked publically week in and week out, well chances are the Patriots aren't the team for you.

The one thing right now though that I'm betting that Moss found out that he missed the most about being with the Patriots, is how much they tend to shelter their players from the media

Geoff

As long as Branch's leg/knee injury isn't too bad, I'd say the chances of the Pats claiming Moss off the waiver wire are about equal to the chances of a person getting struck by lightning. Not zero, but mighty close to it. The speed at which the Pats traded him a month ago suggests that there was a bunch going on behind the scenes that wasn't good for the team, and I somehow doubt that his post-game Patriots/Belicheck "lovefest" on Sunday did much to change that :rolleyes:

The Patriots are the last to select waiver wire players since they have the best record in the league. Why would they claim Moss off waivers if they could decline and sign him for less money on an incentive-ladden "get well contract" 30 seconds later?

deadheadskier

Staff member
The question is why would anyone claim him off waivers? Whoever does is on the hook for 3+million. If he seems like he really wants to play for you, then great. If not, then it's suicide.

If he falls through waivers, he gets paid the vet minimum contract (around 500K for the rest of the season) plus the Vikings still have to pay out the 3+ million.

I bet he doesn't get claimed and he goes and plays wherever he wants for 500K. Only in America can a pro athlete get fired, still get paid and be allowed to work somewhere else for a half mil a year. Randy's no dummy :)

drjeff

The question is why would anyone claim him off waivers? Whoever does is on the hook for 3+million. If he seems like he really wants to play for you, then great. If not, then it's suicide.

If he falls through waivers, he gets paid the vet minimum contract (around 500K for the rest of the season) plus the Vikings still have to pay out the 3+ million.

I bet he doesn't get claimed and he goes and plays wherever he wants for 500K. Only in America can a pro athlete get fired, still get paid and be allowed to work somewhere else for a half mil a year. Randy's no dummy :)

The question is does some team really want a "contract year" Randy Moss (I'm sure some do). But unless he's getting 4+ catches, a 100 or so yards, and a TD in atleast 3 out of 4 games right now, sooner or later, his attitude will more than likely become a clubhouse issue for a team.

And believe me when I say that I think that when's he "happy" there is no better deep threat wide receiver in the game today (and one could make an arguement for ever) based on his ability to both make the play and also take a hit and get right back up. The problem is though that the mind/attitude of an "unhappy" Randy Moss isn't something that too many coaches want to deal with (on top of their usual few prima donna's in their clubhouse)

darent

randy moss was released by minnesota yesterday, he can be claimed by anyone, if he isn't claimed the pats can claim him

deadheadskier

Staff member
The question is does some team really want a "contract year" Randy Moss (I'm sure some do). But unless he's getting 4+ catches, a 100 or so yards, and a TD in atleast 3 out of 4 games right now, sooner or later, his attitude will more than likely become a clubhouse issue for a team.

And believe me when I say that I think that when's he "happy" there is no better deep threat wide receiver in the game today (and one could make an arguement for ever) based on his ability to both make the play and also take a hit and get right back up. The problem is though that the mind/attitude of an "unhappy" Randy Moss isn't something that too many coaches want to deal with (on top of their usual few prima donna's in their clubhouse)

the kink in it all is whether or not a team thinks economically makes sense to pay 3.5 million for his services for the remainder of the season and if he's the missing piece to a deep playoff run. Some say Washington might go for him. Some say even Dallas just to add something to fill those 100K seats.

If I were a GM, I'd say we want you, but won't claim you off waivers. We'll pay you the prorated vet mim of 500K to get you through the season and let the Vikings pay your other half of your guaranteed salary.

We'll see by 4PM if anyone claims him. I think because of the potential work stoppage, he very well could go unclaimed and end up playing wherever he wants to go for 500K.

deadheadskier

Staff member
good place for Randy. About as close to home for him as a team gets. Britt, Moss, Washington and Johnson will be a tough offense to game plan against.