• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Gators

BeanoNYC

For those who don't use a roof box or put their skis in the car: How many use Ski Gators to protect their bindings? Mine are pretty beat up. Are they really that effective in protecting your bindings?

bvibert

Staff member
I just use a bag that covers the entire ski. If you're going to worry about the road grit hurting the bindings you may as well protect the bases and edges too...

SKIQUATTRO

exactly...i always keep my skis in a ski bag with my ploes..first, it protects the entire ski, and i just makes it easiier carrying everything thur the parking lots to the lodge....

BeanoNYC

SKIQUATTRO said:
exactly...i always keep my skis in a ski bag with my ploes..first, it protects the entire ski, and i just makes it easiier carrying everything thur the parking lots to the lodge....

I always get the feeling that a ski bag would get in the way when closing the rack. I guess I'm wrong. What kind do you guys use?

bvibert

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
I always get the feeling that a ski bag would get in the way when closing the rack. I guess I'm wrong. What kind do you guys use?
I just have the cheapest non-padded bag I could find at Sports Authority. My thinking was that the padding would make closing the rack harder..

NYDrew

an old tube sock with the toe cut out. Dont forget to tie it on both ends.

my skiis travel in the car, but i used to use a rack.

On that note. I am always pissed off by people who transport skiis improperly. If the skiis are not together...tips foward, if the skiis are base-to-base then its tips back.

kcyanks1

BeanoNYC said:
'

When I'm using a rack that closes tightly around the skis I normally just use a binding cover. I also figured that a full cover what get in the way of the rack. If I'm throwing the skis under a bus I often use a full cover. I figure that even the cheap thin cover I have would provide some protection against banging around, and I also thought that under a bus the skis would be more likely to encounter liquid wetness and rust than up on top of the car in winter weather. Maybe that habit doesn't make sense though.

BeanoNYC

kcyanks1 said:
'

When I'm using a rack that closes tightly around the skis I normally just use a binding cover. I also figured that a full cover what get in the way of the rack. If I'm throwing the skis under a bus I often use a full cover. I figure that even the cheap thin cover I have would provide some protection against banging around, and I also thought that under a bus the skis would be more likely to encounter liquid wetness and rust than up on top of the car in winter weather. Maybe that habit doesn't make sense though.

I can see the bag on the bus. I never took a bus trip although there are plenty around here in NYC. A friend of mine loves the Emilio's trips out of Forest Hills. Do you bus trip much?

kcyanks1

BeanoNYC said:
I can see the bag on the bus. I never took a bus trip although there are plenty around here in NYC. A friend of mine loves the Emilio's trips out of Forest Hills. Do you bus trip much?
I haven't done something like that before, but I think I will in the future. Right now I'm about to graduate law school. The bus trips I have done have been ones I've helped organize with other students, so we've filled our own coach bus and gone to either Sugarbush or Killington for a weekend. In college (from CT) I also got to go on some day bus-trips (didn't organize those).

I'll have to look into the Emilio trips for next season (if I ever got off work :-( ),though I will be coming from Manhattan. Do you have a link to a website for them? There's also a ski club called "Miramar" that allows non-members on trips and seems to have great deals, and they have a place at MRG. I have never gone on their trips either, but it seems like it would be a very good option. They have a pickup in Manhattan and then another one in NJ. A couple years back I also had found a website about weekend bus trips to Jay Peak, but when looking for it again this winter I couldn't find it.

I love being in NYC, but the annoying thing is that car rentals are so expensive, and then there's the hassle of getting and returning the car. Makes going away for weekend trips a bigger commitment than it would otherwise be. How do you deal with this?

Last edited:

kcyanks1

kcyanks1 said:
I'll have to look into the Emilio trips for next season (if I ever got off work :-( ),though I will be coming from Manhattan. Do you have a link to a website for them? There's also a ski club called "Miramir" that allows non-members on trips and seems to have great deals, and they have a place at MRG. I have never gone on their trips either, but it seems like it would be a very good option. They have a pickup in Manhattan and then another one in NJ. A couple years back I also had found a website about weekend bus trips to Jay Peak, but when looking for it again this winter I couldn't find it.
Responding to my own post with some links:

Emilio's trips: http://www.emiliosskishop.com/day_trips.htm
and they also depart from Manhattan as well as Queens for all trips (http://www.emiliosskishop.com/departures.htm)

Miramar: http://www.miramar.org/

BeanoNYC

kcyanks1 said:
I haven't done something like that before, but I think I will in the future. Right now I'm about to graduate law school. The bus trips I have done have been ones I've helped organize with other students, so we've filled our own coach bus and gone to either Sugarbush or Killington for a weekend. In college (from CT) I also got to go on some day bus-trips (didn't organize those).

I'll have to look into the Emilio trips for next season (if I ever got off work :-( ),though I will be coming from Manhattan. Do you have a link to a website for them? There's also a ski club called "Miramir" that allows non-members on trips and seems to have great deals, and they have a place at MRG. I have never gone on their trips either, but it seems like it would be a very good option. They have a pickup in Manhattan and then another one in NJ. A couple years back I also had found a website about weekend bus trips to Jay Peak, but when looking for it again this winter I couldn't find it.

I love being in NYC, but the annoying thing is that car rentals are so expensive, and then there's the hassle of getting and returning the car. Makes going away for weekend trips a bigger commitment than it would otherwise be. How do you deal with this?

Funny, the buddy of mine who digs the emilio's trips is finishing up law school in Manhattan this May too. He's moving down to Maryland with his wife as soon as he graduates to prep for the bar.

Here's the link to Emilios.
Also, here is the link to the Diamond Dogs, a NYC ski club.

I'm in the Rockaway Park/Belle Harbor area of Queens. A few years ago, I left my job in Manhattan (42nd and 6th) to teach on Long Island so a car is an absolute necessity. I can always give you a lift to an AZ outing next year if you want.

BeanoNYC

kcyanks1 said:
Responding to my own post with some links:

Emilio's trips: http://www.emiliosskishop.com/day_trips.htm
and they also depart from Manhattan as well as Queens for all trips (http://www.emiliosskishop.com/departures.htm)

Miramar: http://www.miramar.org/

Ha you beat me too it. Thanks for the mirimar information. I traded you for information on the Diamond Dogs. I've been meaning to get to a social to check those guys out and find out some more information. Seems like a good group.

kcyanks1

BeanoNYC said:
Funny, the buddy of mine who digs the emilio's trips is finishing up law school in Manhattan this May too. He's moving down to Maryland with his wife as soon as he graduates to prep for the bar.
Cool, how funny :) Studying for the bar is going to suck. Good luck to him. I'm hoping to go to Chile for a week after the bar as my post-bar trip. A reward after the torture :)

BeanoNYC said:
Here's the link to Emilios.
Also, here is the link to the Diamond Dogs, a NYC ski club.

I'm in the Rockaway Park/Belle Harbor area of Queens. A few years ago, I left my job in Manhattan (42nd and 6th) to teach on Long Island so a car is an absolute necessity. I can always give you a lift to an AZ outing next year if you want.
Thanks so much! I'd be happy to go on an AZ outing and will keep that in mind. My only worry at this point is how much I'm going to have to be working on weekends. I figure I'll manage to ski some still, but what I've heard is the hardest thing is keeping plans. I might end up with free weekends, but I'll often not know which they are until right before.

kcyanks1

BeanoNYC said:
Ha you beat me too it. Thanks for the mirimar information. I traded you for information on the Diamond Dogs. I've been meaning to get to a social to check those guys out and find out some more information. Seems like a good group.
Well you told me about Emilio's in the first place, so right now you are ahead 2-1 :) Thanks for the Diamond Dogs info. They do some pretty serious trips. 2 trips out West and one to Europe in the same season. That's very impressive.

BeanoNYC

kcyanks1 said:
Thanks so much! I'd be happy to go on an AZ outing and will keep that in mind. My only worry at this point is how much I'm going to have to be working on weekends. I figure I'll manage to ski some still, but what I've heard is the hardest thing is keeping plans. I might end up with free weekends, but I'll often not know which they are until right before.

I totally understand the keeping plans thing. It goes with the territory. Hopefully you'll get some turns in next season.

BeanoNYC

kcyanks1 said:
Thanks for the Diamond Dogs info. They do some pretty serious trips. 2 trips out West and one to Europe in the same season. That's very impressive.

Impressive indeed, they're at least organinzed. But, like I said, I'm going to one of their happy hours one day to check them out. The last thing I need is to be stuck on an overnight ski trip with a bunch of weirdos.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

kcyanks1

BeanoNYC said:
Impressive indeed, they're at least organinzed. But, like I said, I'm going to one of their happy hours one day to check them out. The last thing I need is to be stuck on an overnight ski trip with a bunch of weirdos.

Good plan. I just joined their Yahoo group.

BeanoNYC

You can sign up for membership Here. In order to get a membership card you have to show up to a social. They get really good discounts. That Hunter card is 30 bucks AND you get a free lift ticket with it. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

kcyanks1

BeanoNYC said:
You can sign up for membership Here. In order to get a membership card you have to show up to a social. They get really good discounts. That Hunter card is 30 bucks AND you get a free lift ticket with it. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Thanks, just signed up. Even apart from the trips the deals are good, but of course the trips are what I'd really want to do. Not sure when they are having the next happy hour since the site is still talking about 4/15, but I guess I have to go to one at some point. Maybe we'll run into each other there.